Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never had so much trouble on picking a color

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only boring guy here? I'm sticking to Arctic because it looks clean even when it isn't! Arctic/black.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
W211
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by texas911
Am I the only boring guy here? I'm sticking to Arctic because it looks clean even when it isn't! Arctic/black.
For me it was a no-brainer too, Arctic and black interior.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:05 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered arctic and black too. I currently have black non-daily driver and it will be my last black car, daily driver or not. However, I think white, black, , arctic, GT silver, red, cobalt, slate, basalt, meteor, slate, and yellow look fantastic on the TT. Choose what makes you happy.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Thumbs up

I had an arctic/nat grey GT2, guards red/tan 930 Strosek, black.blk Cayenne turbo,03 M5, 06 M5, M roadster,Range Rover & GMC crewcab dually, etc etc ( as you can see, I really like black cars ) Truth is, some cars don,t look right in black. To me, the GT2 didnt show the lines or accent areas correctly in black................it was like it was a bit bulbis ( man is that the right spelling?????) in black........so I bought one in Arctic and never regretted it especially once I put some RS 98 Champion Monolite 19,s on the car. It seemed to take on a sleeker look in the silver. I recently was looking at Aston Martin Vanquish,s and decided on Tungsten as the vanquish lost alot of detail in black as those cars have some incredible line/accents. As for the tt, it reminds me of the GT2 generally so I opted to do again what worked for me the last time only GT Silver this time but again with the natural grey interior which proved to be a much nicer grade than standard leather. The tt,s stand to me a bit tall which is one big difference from the GT2,s so I am installing a set of H&R springs along with a set of Champion RS 98 19 inch wheels/MPS Cup tires before I even pick the car up as it makes a HUGE difference in the cars appearance..............as well as handling. I guess what I am saying here is the correct color for cars is relative to many variables. You are lucky in the way that these cars look good in every color. As for resale, blacks and silvers seem to always be the safest...............but dont spec the car around selling it later..............it might be a while. Buy what you like. If you have a graphic package ( Photoshop, etc ) try to experiment with fotos/colors to get ideas on the different lines to car produces with the various shades. Also try to envision the car in the potential color for a long time.................because as I said earlier, you might have it doe a while.............Good Luck and enjoy your terrible dilemma
Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Owned 3 black cars, will never do it again. However, the 997TT in black is simply stunning. I just grew tired of swirl marks etc. even from pampered care and hand washing only. GT Silver for me but the grays look good also on the TT.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:50 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

slate!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 PM
outofmoney
Intermediate

scottfromnapa,

I would love to see photos of your color to sample Porsche. When do you take delivery?
Cheers.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Scottfromnapa
Intermediate

scottfromnapa,

I would love to see photos of your color to sample Porsche. When do you take delivery?
Cheers.

Spoke to dealer yesterday, Production finishes Dec. 2 and Mid-late Jan. Delivery!! I will post pics when it gets here.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had a red 993tt for almost 12 years as a DD and like it just as much now as when I bought it. No cop problems(not for lack of trying!) and very forgiving of dirt and rock chips.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:41 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Silver is still the best color for Porsche (imo). Because it is so common, two European mags are saying, "be bold &go for cobalt blue." Not to obstrusive, not as stealth as silver, but kinda of in the middle somewhere between the other two extremes.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:50 AM
RSA333
Racer

I finally went with Cobalt Blue, even though I could have gotten GT Silver for the same price.

With me, since I have a red GT3, and it is a classic sports car color, it equals Ferrari in my head, not Porsche. The silvers are nice, and I have owned and loved black and lapis blue turbos.

I called the dealer with color changes almost every day for a week. It came done to one thing - blue is my favorite color (sounds like being a teenager or the Max Luscher color test). So that's where I ended up.

-Gerry
------------------
Cobalt blue 997 Turbo (on order)
Guards red 2005 GT3
Lapis blue 996TTX50 - gone
Guards Red RSA
Black 911 Turbo S2
Mocha brown 1980 SC...
...and many more
Old 11-19-2006, 12:50 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

How could you have gotten Cobalt for the same price as GT silver? Cobalt blue is now a standard color with no extra charges whereas GT silver has an extra charge because it's optional.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:49 PM
RSA333
Racer

atomic80-

That was what the dealer was going to "give me" as an incentive to buy the vehicle. But, I went with what I liked best, and the GT Silver looks great in bright sunlight (to my eye), but dull in other light). In the end, I just picked my favorite color.

Thanks - Gerry
Old 11-20-2006, 12:57 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd go something a little under the radar, midnight, slate, meteor. Stay away from speed yeller, red, white, too 'look at me'/'mid life crisis' imo. Silver and black are a dime a dozen, but for good reason, they look damn good! Id'd avoid the one off colors like cobalt, a little too 'boyracer' for me, might as well put some guages in the A pliiars. jmo
Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 AM
RSA333
Racer

C4s surgeon-

I see your point, except that driving a 997 TT is not exactly like flying under the radar. To my eye, the lighter colors tend to emphasize the lines of the car better. However, to be honest, and this is a shameful confession, I have always hated 911s in white, which is the classic 73 RS color, and is how the new 997 GT3 is often shown.

I can't remember what the German racing color is - probably white or silver. My whole life I have liked the color blue, and when I saw a cobalt blue one at a dealer under various lighting conditions, is really made it for me. Others won't like it. One of my many other color choices - GT Silver - often looked too drab to me, but it does really 'pop' in bright light.

But "boy-racer" or "mid-life crisis"? I have to admit that I don't care what others deduce from what I look like- I am too old (53) for that, and came from that kind of generation. That mindset itself emphasizes the old joke - "What is the difference between a porcupine and porsche drivers?".

-Gerry
(C4S - are you a surgeon? - what specialty?)
------------------------------------------------
997 Turbo (jan build)
2005 911 GT3
2002 996TurboX50 - gone and missed
1993 RSA
1992 911 Turbo S2
1980 911SC

Quick Reply: Never had so much trouble on picking a color