Sponsored by:

ZO6 Report Card

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:51 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Mastiffdog is very right on in his accessment of the interior of the Vette, I had a C5 vette before, a 97 launch car, THAT car had a crappy interior, much much lower quality than the C6, for christ sake there is a half-inch gap between the plastic trim panel on the center console and the radio!! Even that, I positively LOVE driving that car, because once the go pedal is depressed, you won't notice any of those and your focus is on the road ahead, the power of the engine is so addicting it's unbelievable. It's not until I got hold of the CLS55 that I experience the same thrill again.

I traded the vette in when I got my 02 C4S and I positively missed the power of the vette, it seems to me there was no 'punch' in the Porsche, even though the interior in night and day between the Porsche and the Vette, driving the C4S just does not give me the same thrill as in the Vette and it's one of the major reason I got rid of it quite quickly, bottom line is that I got no satisfaction in driving the C4S.

The C6 Z06 is MUCH more powerful that my old vette and I am sure mastiffdog is gonna be a VERY VERY happy man driving the vette.
Now, for me, I had the fully opposite experience. I had a C6 Z06. Could care less about the interior's look... only function ( like holding my *** in the seat and visibility, etc. ). I discovered that though the Vette GETS to (x) MPH faster, the M3 or the 911 would give me more FUN once they GOT to (x) MPH. And once two cars are going (x) miles per hour the suspension and brakes and visibility and reaction speed take center stage.

Once I started pushing the Z06 at (x) MPH in the same way I pushed the 911 at (x) MPH, I was not only disappointed... I was not having as much FUN. The 911 was light, sharp, instantaeous, and precise... and the Vette was not.

So, since having the most powerful car at the stop light, or, running the quarter mile, are not important to me, I went BACK to the 911. A C4S. And I don't miss the Z06 at all.

Edit: After logging off and starting the grill I realized I should be more precise... let me be clear that I do NOT mean to say that the good people who love their Z06's are only interested in having the most powerful car at a red light, or in running the quarter mile. That is NOT what I believe. Those two attributes are simply the areas where the Z06 dominated hands down in my world. No judgements about other free peoples, just enjoying life, intended.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 09-17-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 528 Posts

I totally see your point, for someone who cares more about nimble and agility, the M3, 911 wins hands down over the vette, there is absolutely no contest.
I don't care much for the so called higher agility envelope of the M3, 911 as I think even though the vette has the lowest rating among the 3, it's already is high enough for me. Around my area, the best stretch of road for road trip is the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler. It's a stretch of around 120km or 80 miles or so winding highway up the mountains. Normally it's a 2hr and change drive up the mountains, my best time in the Vette is 1:15 and 1:30 in my C4S. For someone who is a more skillful driver than I am will probably do it faster in the Porsche than in the Vette but with my limited ability I cannot probe the extra handling advantage of the C4S around the bends but I sure notice the lack of grunt during the uphill stretchs and passing zones in the Porsche.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I totally see your point, for someone who cares more about nimble and agility, the M3, 911 wins hands down over the vette, there is absolutely no contest.
I don't care much for the so called higher agility envelope of the M3, 911 as I think even though the vette has the lowest rating among the 3, it's already is high enough for me. Around my area, the best stretch of road for road trip is the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler. It's a stretch of around 120km or 80 miles or so winding highway up the mountains. Normally it's a 2hr and change drive up the mountains, my best time in the Vette is 1:15 and 1:30 in my C4S. For someone who is a more skillful driver than I am will probably do it faster in the Porsche than in the Vette but with my limited ability I cannot probe the extra handling advantage of the C4S around the bends but I sure notice the lack of grunt during the uphill stretchs and passing zones in the Porsche.
I don't think an M3 is in the same league as the 911 or Z06. It's about 400lbs heavier and while very well balanced handles like a snowplow compared to a 911 or Z06.

I don't think the interior is that bad in the C6 vettes either. I spent a couple of days on a track with one and thought it was a ton of fun although I could never get the feel that I have in a 911. Undeniably fast though.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:14 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
I think your FJ may be the sleeper out of all of them for everyday fun!
I drive that car more than any of the others! Just had my first oil change, Mobil 1 5-30 Weight and rotated the tires. Toyota quality = flawless! It just runs and gets more looks than a Ferrari. A real joy for everyday banging around town!

Here's a couple photos of that lowly girl:

Old 09-17-2006, 11:13 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Just buy aftermarket seats like the Cobra Misano or whatever and call it a day - geeez!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
I drive that car more than any of the others! Just had my first oil change, Mobil 1 5-30 Weight and rotated the tires. Toyota quality = flawless! It just runs and gets more looks than a Ferrari. A real joy for everyday banging around town!

Yeah Baby.

I hear that only runs on premium? What kind of milage do you get? I may have to get one just for fun! There is a really cool yellow one at my dealer...
Old 09-18-2006, 11:23 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tahoe, I am now back and forth from this forum over to the Z06 forum. It's a very different culture and the buyer profile is different. There are lots of great enthusiasts over on the Z06 forum that truly appreciate the P's, BMW's, etc. A handful are staunch vette people and hate anyone else who would ever even think of buying a non-vette. I have had successful, friendly and humorous discussions with them as well. Once you break the ice, these guys are just people who are passionate about the cars - they all mean well.

But I will disagree with you here on the interior. I think it looks pretty nice. To be sure, its simple, but that's what makes it so liveable. The materials are classic Chevy/GM and conform to the long Corvette tradition. I was not surprised or disappointed with the interior. The theme of the car is performance and raw speed, the folks who design these cars don't seem to focus on the interiors.
Congrats on your Z06 purchase, been to Kerbeck many times, would definitely buy from them.

I am a former C5 Z06 owner that just went to a 911. Yes both are great cars, and both have great but very different forums. I bounce back and forth between them. If I could afford to have both at the same time, I would.

To all those that think the C6 Z06 interior is cheap, you should sit in a C5 Z06. Both are great value for the money. You can get a slightly used C5 Z06 for $30k. It would make a great track car.

I drove a C6 Z06 and F430 back to back and both are very fast. I would say the acceration is the same for both. C6 Z06 is a great car for the money, I was a little disappointed with the interior, thought it would be a bigger improvement over the C5, but it wouldn't stop me from buying the car.

Good luck with your Z06.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Love your FJ Cruiser. Thinking of getting one, when the prices come down. How are the blind spots? changing lanes? backing up?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
Another GM car that has a nice interior is the Saturn Sky...much nicer than the C6 corvette. And that's in a $20K roadster! Why can't they do it in the $45-65K corvette?
The Corvette market isn't really concerned with interior quality. Generally, Vette buyers could care less. With some markets, buyers would rather pay a greater price than have a crappy interior. The Z06 crowd is generally more performance oriented and don't want to pay for something they don't find as useful.

mastiff: You really should get to the track even if it isn't your thing! I've never seen someone go and NOT have a blast! That and it improves your driving abilities and safety so much it's really an invaluable experience.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:55 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

AeroGT3Redwing, seems you could be correct, the Z06 buyers are concerned about performance, not all, but most from everything I have read on their forum. Maybe I'll try the track one of these days, we have quite few that are within a reasonable drive away.

Racecar Driver, you can buy 'em under sticker now. Our local dealer is $500 off. That's not a lot, but the car is only 30K loaded to the hilt! It should get better over time. The car is fabulous, the side mirrors are a little narrow, top to bottom and the blind spots aren't too bad. Lane changes and parking are simple. Get one!

Allegretto, they do recommend premium. But on the FJ Cruiser forum (and yes, there is a forum for these things!) a bunch of people are running regular 87 Octane. I won't though. I am getting 17.5 MPG and about 21 MPG on the Highway. Not great, but not awful. The V-6 is bullet proof and about as reliable as anything ever made. Had it not been a Toyota, I'd have never bought it, the quality is great for the price and what it is. You can't go wrong with it, especially in the Chicago climate.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:43 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd been considering getting a FJ Cruiser too but they're a bit overpriced in my area (Seattle) so maybe I should look elsewhere for one. Do you mind sharing the FJ forum website address with the rest of us folks?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Hell, send it to Lingenfelter. They can re-uphoslter the interior and for 5500.00 dollars more, you've got 524 RWHP and 496 RWTQ. Pretty impressive for under 100k.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2006, 11:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Hell, send it to Lingenfelter. They can re-uphoslter the interior and for 5500.00 dollars more, you've got 524 RWHP and 496 RWTQ. Pretty impressive for under 100k.
+1

Lingenfelter Perf. Eng. is the class of the field. Craftsmanship, detail, follow through. They did my C5 coupe and the engine bay came back looking BETTER than it did when I shipped it to them. If I had kept the C6 Z06 it would have been to Lingenfelter and back already.

Bullet proof. Daily drivability. Epic price for the ponies.

They're good people.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:49 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

FJ Cruiser Forum link:

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Old 09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

FJ Cruiser Forum link:

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Great, I just joined. Dealers here in New Jersey were asking over $50k for one.

Quick Reply: ZO6 Report Card