Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some new photos Slate Grey Metallic...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some new photos Slate Grey Metallic...

Took these with my Nikon D200, or should I say the Nikon took the photos for me, as I am clueless how this thing (camera?) works. The manual to operate the camera is thicker than an encyclopedia.

Anyway, this is beginner stuff, so here goes....

Old 08-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 502 Posts

dang that's VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:12 AM
The B
Racer

It occurs to me how well the grey colored plastic on the outer edge of the headlight matches your color so well, on my carrera white it's rather odd looking.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:36 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Mastiff you car totally ROCKS
Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Took these with my Nikon D200, or should I say the Nikon took the photos for me, as I am clueless how this thing (camera?) works. The manual to operate the camera is thicker than an encyclopedia.

Anyway, this is beginner stuff, so here goes....

Sweet looking car!!!

And the camera ... looking into getting one here in a few weeks. Nikon freak and the reviews on the D200 have been oustanding.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:41 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, its great to be able to share with people who appreciate the cars!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:42 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The B
It occurs to me how well the grey colored plastic on the outer edge of the headlight matches your color so well, on my carrera white it's rather odd looking.
I think its the same on all the cars, regardless of the paint color. It is just the way the plastic looks. I think it looks fine on your car though ...
Old 08-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics, I have the same Camera, its an amazing tool! Skim the manual and you will be taking semi-pro pics in no time!

The pics are great as they are!
Old 09-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

mastiff,--is that BRAKE dust on those wheels???
Old 09-07-2006, 03:49 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
mastiff,--is that BRAKE dust on those wheels???
No, it's the grey paint you are seeing - all the 997TT wheels are polished on the flat surface and painted on the inside areas. The color is almost identical to the Slate Grey Metallic, but that is a coincidence I am sure, because they use the same wheels for all the cars, regardless of exterior paint color of the car itself.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:51 AM
smjjpres
Instructor

Mastiff, quick question - I have silver 996 TT cab and am ordering the 997 TT cab in a few months. Love your color, but, I am paranoid of swirl marks (hence my silver) - are swirls visible on the slate grey?

Thx a bunch.

SM
Old 09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smjjpres
Mastiff, quick question - I have silver 996 TT cab and am ordering the 997 TT cab in a few months. Love your color, but, I am paranoid of swirl marks (hence my silver) - are swirls visible on the slate grey?

Thx a bunch.

SM
Excellent question, and one I was very concerned about, in fact so concerned that I did not let the selling dealer touch the car. I had them leave the car as is with all of the white PVC protective paper on it. I did not want any of the porters or wash people at the dealer to wash the car pre-delivery. If you are buying from a distant dealer, have them leave the paper on it and ship it dirty. Many guys on hear will disagree with my advice to you because they will make the point that if any paint problems appear when you "unwrap" the car, you will own them. They are likely correct, but I took that chance and it worked out for me. My car does not have a swirl mark and the wash procedure I use is very, very simple to keep it swirl free. Last weekend it took me about 1.5 hours to do the car. I use Zymol Clear, correct wash mitt. Then I blow all the air off with the dryer and touch up with a waffle towel. You then can use a detail spray, I use Field Glaze from Zymol. Over in the concors forum, there is a ton of advice, but if you would like to know what I do, please PM me and I'd be happy to share.

If you will be taking delivery at your local dealer, that is the best. Insist that they call you when the car is being rolled off the truck. Go "umpire" the unwrapping and do a visual inspection, just don't let them do more than the mechanical and electronic PDI on the car, i.e. computer codes, etc. All that they must do. Just don't let them put a rag to the paint - drive it home dirty and either hire a professional detailer or do it yourself.

The darker colors always show dust and dirt the most. And if the car does get swirl marks, the darker colors will always show them more so than the light colors.

I know it all sounds like a bunch of crazy making, but I love my cars and it is a hobby for me, so I take pride in the asset, even if its a depreciating asset! Okay, how about calling it a depreciating asset that I really appreciate!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:57 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

Mastiff, thanks for the response. I agree, I feel the same way as you. I appreciate the advice - if I end up ordering a darker color I will take you up on your offer to 'detail' your regiment for me! PS - your car is gorgeous.

Best,

SM
Old 09-07-2006, 05:33 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Thanks SM! Let me know, but in the meantime check out the detailing info on the forum here, there is some great info...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
No, it's the grey paint you are seeing - all the 997TT wheels are polished on the flat surface and painted on the inside areas. The color is almost identical to the Slate Grey Metallic, but that is a coincidence I am sure, because they use the same wheels for all the cars, regardless of exterior paint color of the car itself.
You are really going to like that feature when it comes time to clean brake dust off - especially if you ever get on track!

Quick Reply: Some new photos Slate Grey Metallic...