Overboost explanation please..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Overboost explanation please..

Hey all,

Another question from the restless mind of B.

- So I understand that when you hit the sport button, you get 10 seconds of Overboost. Ok, that's clear I think. For example, if the cpu is programmed to give you 14lb. of boost, when you hit the button, it gives you 16lb. of boost.
-- Assuming I understand this right, lets move forward to the question.

- So when you press the sport/overboost button, do you only get a one time, 10 second boost (like a shot of nitrus?) and then to get that boost again, do you have to repress the button?

Let me give you an example. Lets say I am at the track. I have the sport button on. I suspect that every time I am on the accelerator, I get that boost (for 10 seconds) or until I lift. Does that mean when I get back on the accelerator (after a quick lift) I have another 10 seconds of overboost?

Another words, when does the overboost re-set so I can get it again and again?
Or is it only a one time thing meant to launch the car and not designed for track use..

Do you see what I am getting at?

Thanks.
B
Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding, and I'll do some research to clarify, is that if you have sport on, overboost is enabled. Overboost only occurs mid range, not at low rpms, and not near redline. Ill get more info later today for you
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll confirm for you when my car arrives in Sept , but my understanding is that the overboost only is enabled with SC in the On position, accelerator at WOT, and lasts for 10 seconds. Some German owners (RC for example) claim that that their cars maintain overboost indefinitely. After the 10 sec, overboost stops and doesn't reset until the throttle is fully closed, as for example when shifting gears.

Maybe a current owner can confirm.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I tried mine but didn't know what the heck I was doing, so then I pressed the button to shut it off!
Old 07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
dk996tt
Instructor

On mine, it seem to hit a peak of 18psi at around 3000 rpms and then falls back down as the rpm gets closer to 5000 rpms. It feels like overboost is a direct funtion of rpm. for example, if you are in sixth gear at 2000 rpms and you hit the gas, you will see overboost for approximately 10 seconds as it will take that long to finally climb to 5000 rpms. however, you may only see overboost for 3 seconds in second gear. but you should see the overboost over and over again without having to put or reset anything. it just depends what rpms you are at. hope all this verbage makes some sense.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM
NISL
Track Day

Originally Posted by Alfie
My understanding, and I'll do some research to clarify, is that if you have sport on, overboost is enabled. Overboost only occurs mid range, not at low rpms, and not near redline. Ill get more info later today for you
You get an additional 44lbft of torque between 2100 and 4000 rpm. according to Excellence.
I guess this feature is to just shut people up at the drag strip where after 10seconds the race is over.

Quick Reply: Overboost explanation please..