Sponsored by:

Code P0011

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 01:41 PM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Code P0011

I want to warn you this is going to be long. Around three months ago I purchased a Cobb stage one tune from sharkwerks in Fremont, CA. I worked with Dan who was extremely helpful. I appeared to like the tune very much for the first week or so. my vehicle is a 2008 911 turbo it had approximately 71,000 miles on it, and apparently it has an aftermarket exhaust. I have owned the vehicle for approximately one year. After about a week of driving around with the new tune, I’ve noticed a check engine light starts to turn on, so I reached out to Dan and then I also reached out to my Technician in Campbell at Sportech. It looks like the code was P011. From the start Dan was telling me yeah you know it is an older turbo and these things can’t happen. Sometimes people get lucky and they’re able to change out a position sensor on the bank one and change out the spark plugs, and if they get lucky all is good and you can Proceed without any further issues. He also mentioned that sometimes it gets a lot more involved than that and it becomes like an engine out process. Long story short I had Sportech change out the spark plugs and the position sensor. This did nothing for the check engine light. It would stay off about 20 miles and then after 20 miles of driving it it would come back on. So currently I’m in the dilemma of deciding what to do with this vehicle. I really do like the car and I plan on keeping it for a long time if I sort it out, I have taking it to , a couple of shops, Porsche Stevens Creek and Response Motors to see what my options are.

I have really no idea what any of this will cost so one place in Mountain View California mentioned that it will cost maybe 16,000 for an engine out. I’ve heard so many different things so I’m wondering what you guys have to say? P011 code states that it could be the actuator the cam actuator or could even be the timing chain I figure if it’s as an engine out you take a look at both of those and possibly replace that but it seems like while there pinning the coolant lines seems prudent.

I’m just a little confused and I’m wondering if anybody in the bay area has some shops they would recommend. I have reached out to Sharwerks to see if they do any of this work, but I have not heard back yet.

Response Motors has offered me $50k for the car if I choose to sell it to them, or $51k credit. Although the car has a tip, it has factory aero and PCCB. Not certain what I want to do.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:37 PM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Welcome to the worst club for 997 Turbo ownership that unfortunately most 997 Turbos will join at some point.

S Car Racing in Marin is the shop you want to go to get this sorted. Luckily, the cams can be repaired and pinned by protomotive (https://www.protomotive.com/wp422/pr...v=7516fd43adaa). Depending on what you do, expect between $10-15k.

If the coolant lines aren't pinned, do that as well, it'll push the price a bit, but those will go at some point as well.

I just did all this work myself, so if you're really adventurous, do the job yourself, it's not that hard, and it's rewarding. I have the proper timing tools and can come over and lend a hand. (I'm in SF).
The following 3 users liked this post by moxie (SF):
Chalaka (05-31-2024), Cnair (05-19-2024), harlanmott3 (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:48 PM
harlanmott3
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 98 Posts

Like Moxie side, you have spun cams. Moxie knows the fix better than most as he did the work to resolve himself! Going to happen to most of us at some point it seems.

Anyway, your car is worth a lot more than $50k. It needs an engine out for the cams, but it needed one for the coolant pipes anyway. Can't help you with a shop, I know I would be taking up Moxies offer to help! Just wanted to say this isn't catastrophic, just one of 2 "engine out" issues known on our cars. You can fix both at once and likely run trouble free for a long long time.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:29 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

Dealing with same issue on mine. I'm going to do a couple of things first. Just not quite ready to take the full plunge... Sounds like you've tried...
1. Oil change - the last shop that did mine changed out the 0W40 which I've always used to 5W30. I'm going back to the 0W40. Also, I'm not sure that the tech did a proper oil change, so I want to eliminate this possible problem.
2. Replace the driver's side solenoid. Other posts have said that this may be issue. Worth changing out and seeing if the error code returns.

Then, I'll see what happens... Good luck with yours as well. I read somewhere that an expert stated 90% of these engines have spun cams.

This is from the diagnosis section of the manual for the P0011...
* Mechanical fault in solenoid hydraulic valve (sticks, sluggish, blocked)
* Dirt in the oil circuit
* Sealing strips on VarioCam adjuster faulty (leaky, sluggish)
* Oil pressure too low
* Mechanical fault in VarioCam adjuster

Last edited by babylonboots; 05-20-2024 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:48 PM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 63 Posts

Mine came up about a year ago and would come back after I would clear the code. Read somewhere here that if you run the car low on oil (I’m also running 0W-40), it can trigger this. I filled the oil and the light hasn’t come back. I keep an eye on cam timing with Durametric and so far is it within specs (no higher than 2 degrees). I do know that is coming so I’m gathering the parts I will need to do this and the coolant pipes. Planning on doing it next winter.
The following users liked this post:
babylonboots (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:54 AM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by moxie (SF)
Welcome to the worst club for 997 Turbo ownership that unfortunately most 997 Turbos will join at some point.

S Car Racing in Marin is the shop you want to go to get this sorted. Luckily, the cams can be repaired and pinned by protomotive (https://www.protomotive.com/wp422/pr...v=7516fd43adaa). Depending on what you do, expect between $10-15k.

If the coolant lines aren't pinned, do that as well, it'll push the price a bit, but those will go at some point as well.

I just did all this work myself, so if you're really adventurous, do the job yourself, it's not that hard, and it's rewarding. I have the proper timing tools and can come over and lend a hand. (I'm in SF).

Thanks for the offer, this seems like a very daunting job for me however! I have only gone as far as changing my oil on my cars… embarrassing when someone like yourself has taken the heart out of a 911 successfully!

moxie (SF) (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 03:00 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

I typed the shop in wrong. It's S Car Go Racing.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KPp4nm7QvH571qMt6

Really, I think it's the best shop in the Bay to take your 911 for knowledge and price.
lliejk (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 04:03 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 280 Posts

The job is doable, but you need the space, the tools (even the special timing tool) and the time to get it done. If you have any mechanical skill at all, as Moxie said, it would be a very rewarding project and save you 10K or so as well as let you address other future known issues.

Your best alternative to a DIY, is finding someone recommended like SCarGo that knows what they are doing.

Ed

Quick Reply: Code P0011