Sponsored by:

Hope i'm doing the right thing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 08:08 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Hope i'm doing the right thing?

Getting ready to sink some serious coin into "preventatives". Coolant pipes and cam pinning. No current issues 40,000+ miles and I just don't want to think about the possible "issues" anymore. While the motor is out most likely going to do full GT2 factory clutch set up with drilling the bell housing. Then add water pump, plugs, coils and all the other maintenance items and it will be a wallet buster bill.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:37 PM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 96 Posts

You’ll forget about the money you spent in pretty short order, but you’ll enjoy the car forever more afterwards. I think you are doing the right thing if the risks associated with not doing these things weigh on you. You’ll be very happy you did it.

When I did a full rebuild On my 997tt, I did all of these items too, and it’s really nice not having to worry. Money well spent. I also did a similar thing with my old c6 z06... I was worried I’d drop a valve in the LS7 every time I drove it.... So within 3 months of ownership, I had the top end done and had the heads all done as preventative maintenance for peace of mind. Threw a cam in and ported the heads too as a bonus.

I’m still running the stock slave set up on a Protomotive twin disc clutch. If you end up going to the Gt2 set up, please keep us posted. Or PM me - I want to know your impressions.

Last edited by wcarson; 03-17-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:12 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
Getting ready to sink some serious coin into "preventatives". Coolant pipes and cam pinning. No current issues 40,000+ miles and I just don't want to think about the possible "issues" anymore. While the motor is out most likely going to do full GT2 factory clutch set up with drilling the bell housing. Then add water pump, plugs, coils and all the other maintenance items and it will be a wallet buster bill.
Yeah, even at an indy that won't be cheap, but you will probably sleep better.

I did all my own work and still spent about 5K in parts.. although I did pretty much replace every rubber part/hose external to the engine. Lots of piece of mind knowing it was done right.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 07:18 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I know i'll love the peace of mind aspect of this. I wish I was able to do this myself but absolutely no way!
Old 03-16-2021, 10:51 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd definitely agree with the GT2 clutch and coolant pipe pinning. Make sure you replace the plastic elbows as well.

Regarding the cams, my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that there isn't really any cost savings to doing it preventatively vs after they've spun. If that's accurate, then I don't see any reason to spend money doing it when only a small percentage of cars ever suffer from that issue.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:38 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Thanks for that Nate. Im not worried about the cams because there is no chance of a catastrophic failure if one spins so its not like a water in the block issue. I was doing it because the engine will be out of the car. This can't be done with the engine in the car, right? I really don't know.

Last edited by strato58; 03-16-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Nate Tempest (03-16-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 08:39 AM
aabueg2005
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same for for .1 last year, spent $8k for parts and dropping the motor. I didn't think that was bad at all for the peace of mind.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:37 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

I agree about doing these things to the engine now. At 13 years of age, investing money to prevent issues that, in some cases, are only a matter of time is prudent. As mentioned, I would add every rubber hose and o ring to your list of items while the engine is out, simply because the engine is out. Why spend the money to drop the engine twice?

I cannot agree more about replacing the clutch slave. I cannot tell you how embarrassed I felt either over revving or stalling the thing before doing the GT2 slave. I have been driving sticks since 1976, and never have a had such a difficult time because of such an inconsistent clutch. Major benefit to the car, in my opinion. Make sure they check the clutch fork clearance on the bell housing. I have read instances where it rubs though mine did not.

Cam pinning can only be done with the engine out, so getting it done now also makes perfect sense.

You are absolutely doing the right thing, especially if you are like me and going to keep the car for a long time (forever in my case).

Ed
Old 03-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

I am still sitting on $10K for this. Not pulling the trigger this year I don't think but also unsure if $10K will actually cover all this work.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:14 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lliejk
I agree about doing these things to the engine now. At 13 years of age, investing money to prevent issues that, in some cases, are only a matter of time is prudent. As mentioned, I would add every rubber hose and o ring to your list of items while the engine is out, simply because the engine is out. Why spend the money to drop the engine twice?

I cannot agree more about replacing the clutch slave. I cannot tell you how embarrassed I felt either over revving or stalling the thing before doing the GT2 slave. I have been driving sticks since 1976, and never have a had such a difficult time because of such an inconsistent clutch. Major benefit to the car, in my opinion. Make sure they check the clutch fork clearance on the bell housing. I have read instances where it rubs though mine did not.

Cam pinning can only be done with the engine out, so getting it done now also makes perfect sense.

You are absolutely doing the right thing, especially if you are like me and going to keep the car for a long time (forever in my case).

Ed
Yes, im going to go for it very soon. This car is a keeper for me for sure. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:58 PM
Bucket70
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
Where are you having this done?
Old 03-17-2021, 11:14 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bucket70
Where are you having this done?
Im between 2 shops in NJ right now. Have an estimate from one and waiting on an estimate from the other. Want to get this started by April 1st.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:22 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Wish you the best of luck with your preventive maintenance strato58. I wouldn't do it but that's just me.
When I read the title I thought you were considering selling, so many of the old time owners have gone and feared you were 'moving on' too. So happy to read you are going to invest instead!
After 14 years of owning the 997 turbo I still love my car and still find it the prettiest model Porsche ever made. Add Mezger and manual and it makes the perfect Porsche for me.
I am keeping mine till the end of time

Last edited by TT-911; 03-18-2021 at 12:26 PM.
LOMartin (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 07:33 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT-911
Wish you the best of luck with your preventive maintenance strato58. I wouldn't do it but that's just me.
When I read the title I thought you were considering selling, so many of the old time owners have gone and feared you were 'moving on' too. So happy to read you are going to invest instead!
After 14 years of owning the 997 turbo I still love my car and still find it the prettiest model Porsche ever made. Add Mezger and manual and it makes the perfect Porsche for me.
I am keeping mine till the end of time
Actually I'm doing this so I can drive it with peace of mind until I'm dead and buried! I'm with you and really like this model too. Perfect hybrid of old school and modern as I really love its overall size. I plan on driving it more than ever once all this is work is complete.
The following 2 users liked this post by strato58:
LOMartin (03-19-2021), TT-911 (03-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Hope i'm doing the right thing?