Sponsored by:

Another pinning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 06:23 PM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Billings
I had no problem installing the Shark Werks stainless elbows with engine in car. 2007 turbo. Would possibly enjoy that process again, if it becomes necessary. Or maybe next time I'll extract engine first.

Wouldn't recommend doing it this way because a couple of the fasteners were tough to reach. One tough fastener was the left forward screw that held in the elbow. Intake screws were a little tricky. No big deal and I have big hands! I used an internal pipe wrench to extract what was left of the plastic elbow, pulling down, while pushing down on it from the top.

Awesome! Where there's a will there's a way! I might try to replace these pieces as well. I enjoy a good challenge 🤣
Old 03-08-2021, 06:26 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 316 Posts

keep plan B open. This aint that easy as it looks. Once you dig in, you will find out. Keep updates going
Old 03-08-2021, 06:54 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by markmark26
keep plan B open. This aint that easy as it looks. Once you dig in, you will find out. Keep updates going
LOL. True dat. Better have your chiropractors number on speed dial
Old 03-09-2021, 01:47 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

My only comment would be that these engines are designed to be dropped. What they aren't designed very well for is working on them while the engine is in place, though you can do some things without too much fuss.

Compared to dropping my V10, the 997 was a cake walk. You do need some sort of help getting the car up high enough, but huge jack stands, quality jacks and patience getting it high enough along with the HF platform jack are probably the only extra requirements (assuming you have a decent tool selection already). It does spew coolant and oil, but cardboard and pans help with that mess.

Not having the car being your DD is also important to give you the time to fit it into your schedule. If you have a plan, you can address almost everything you would need to improve the longevity of these engines with a drop.

Ed
Old 03-10-2021, 10:55 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Good luck doing the work with the engine in. I think that will be challenging. I was opposed to dropping the engine in my garage on jackstands, but eventually came around to the idea and it was definitely the right decision. In fact, I liked it so much that I did it three times (before I finally got the work done right)

For a couple hundred in jack stands and a hydraulic table, you can get it out in your garage as well.

The following users liked this post:
harlycharly (03-26-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 01:07 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Good luck doing the work with the engine in. I think that will be challenging. I was opposed to dropping the engine in my garage on jackstands, but eventually came around to the idea and it was definitely the right decision. In fact, I liked it so much that I did it three times (before I finally got the work done right)

For a couple hundred in jack stands and a hydraulic table, you can get it out in your garage as well.

Any pics of the car in jacks to get an idea of how high you jacked it up
Old 03-11-2021, 01:48 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by moxie (SF)
Any pics of the car in jacks to get an idea of how high you jacked it up
Not at the highest level for these 12 ton jacks, but close. Still needed a tiny lift with the floor jack to get the table to clear with the engine on top of it (oil tank and filter housing are the highest points iirc). If you use a different method to move the engine like a motorcycle jack, you won’t need as much height. I very much appreciated the sturdiness of the table though.

Last edited by jeebus31; 03-11-2021 at 01:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeebus31:
moxie (SF) (03-11-2021), NSXavier (03-11-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 08:06 AM
ttboost
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You SHOULD be JUST as worried about the plastic elbows as you are about the coolant fittings. My engine came out because of a leaking plastic elbow. Got Sharkwerks SS elbows and welded all 7 fittings.

Originally Posted by moxie (SF)
Awesome, good to know it's doable. I'm not as worried about the plastic elbows, I'm mainly concerned about catastrophic failure before I take the car on a long cruise coming up. At some point, if my cams every spin, then I would drop the engine and do the elbows at that time.

I'll document the process of pining all the connections with the engine in and post it up for others who want to tackle the job in this way.

I still can't believe porsche designed the water hard pipes this way.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:02 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttboost
You SHOULD be JUST as worried about the plastic elbows as you are about the coolant fittings. My engine came out because of a leaking plastic elbow. Got Sharkwerks SS elbows and welded all 7 fittings.
More not worried about catastrophic failure. I just don't want to be cruising and then end up in a wall, or worse.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:51 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 316 Posts

for me I needed 37" lift to remove engine. As you can see I removed entire suspension, and engine mounts. From watching videos, I noticed that a lot of people had issues with axle shafts getting in the way, and from NSXavier video engine sometimes may get stuck on engine mounts. Since I was removing engine by myself and for the first time, I went beyond by removing additional stuff to make sure everything went smooth.. Needless to say, before actual removal and during, I was very stressed just thinking about what can possibly go wrong and how to prevent it.

If you are doing cooling pipes, you should definitely do it with engine out because you will be able to address other issues that are not yet apparent. Just today, I saw a puddle of oil on top of the engine, mice droppings with lots of empty shells of some kind of nuts, worn out transmission mount, and this is just a beginning... I will be replacing everything.

Last edited by markmark26; 03-20-2021 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Another pinning question