Sponsored by:

Oil Catch-Can installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 02:25 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Oil Catch-Can installation

After removing intercoolers last year, I noticed oil residue on the driver side intake pipe to turbo. Since Im upgrading everything to dO88 and dropping the engine for coolant leak, Ive decided to install an oil catch-can. Since there is not much space in the engine, I want to place the catch-can next to transmission. This way I have easy access to it to drain, plus it will be placed below engine level, helping with oil accumulation in the catch-can.

What do you think ? Below are pictures of what I was thinking.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:34 PM
V-TT
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Oil in the driver’s side tract is typically result of overfilled engine oil. If you look at the breather valve routing, you’ll see there’s a vacuum hose from the oil tank to the driver’s side intake tube. Hard cornering and slightly high oil level allow this tube to suck some oil up. If the passenger side is dry, I don’t think you need a catch can.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:50 AM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 316 Posts

that is not the case. Intake is used to removes excess gases from the engine. This is normal procedure on combustion engines, since you can't vent it to the atmosphere. That is where oil residue on driver side intake pipe comes from. Installing oil catch-cans is normal procedure in order to avoid re-introducing oil-vapors back to the intake system. I have the same setup on my Lancer Evolution. Before my intake walls were coated with oil film, after I installed oil-catch can, pipes were clean, and you would be surprised how much oil got collected in the catch-can

Originally Posted by V-TT
Oil in the driver’s side tract is typically result of overfilled engine oil. If you look at the breather valve routing, you’ll see there’s a vacuum hose from the oil tank to the driver’s side intake tube. Hard cornering and slightly high oil level allow this tube to suck some oil up. If the passenger side is dry, I don’t think you need a catch can.

Last edited by markmark26; 02-06-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:03 PM
V-TT
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I’m a big proponent of catch-cans, had them on a lot of my cars. But no more oil in the driver’s side since I fill my oil to the middle line on the dash check. Many reputable builders will advise this for the 997.1 to remedy the oil on the driver’s side.

Catch can certainly cannot hurt though.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch-Can installation