Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo DIY stripdown and repairs. Advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:46 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ps happy christmas to all who celebrate it.
The following users liked this post:
Chalaka (02-22-2024)
Old 12-27-2019, 09:43 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Not sure about the PASM, it sounds like specific sensors are the issue not the unit itself, but I do not have any direct experience.

For the idle, it may be the ECU re-learning how you drive or there may be a vac leak somewhere. I wouldn't worry about it right now, but go back at it later if it persists.

For test drives, keep them local for a bit. That way if you have an issue you are close enough to home to get it back without too much trouble. Atc is correct about the coolant. It took me a couple of drives to get the coolant where it needed to be, though I think I was able to pull a pretty good vacuum when filling. Just make sure all those metal hose connections are clipped in correctly!

Sounds like you are almost there!

Ed
Old 01-05-2020, 08:58 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

But of an update here. Good and bad lolThe Car runs perfectly at idle or when being revved up, no leaks, strong oil pressure, nice and quiet for a mezger. On test drives when I give it WOT throttle it is bogging, potentially det/knock.. , if I drive gently it runs perfectly but I have only taken it to about 4.5k rpm as knock is not something I want to induce, not really been able to explore boost yet due to the above issue. Only thing I havent changed is fuel filter which Im going to do tomorrow, (doubt that will cure it). I have added 15 litres of fresh super unleaded fuel as well, as the fuel was old. Any ideas? Durametric shows no fault codes, -3.15 and -3.17 for cam deviation on both sides, stays in sync when revved.

The only thing I havent done is get the replacement turbo actuators reset with piwis. but they are off a 997T (manual) so I would have expected them to work even if they didnt dish out full boost. Hopefully a pro can chime in on that

I had boost leaks on past cars and it didnt result in this kind of behaviour, just resulted in low boost and poor performance but I am going to do a boost leak test anyway, but my compressor gave up on friday so I need a new one first.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to look first? I am planning to log it with durametric but havent done so yet as I am still reading up on it. Will be doing that tonight

My first thoughts are check injector duty cycle as it could be fuel related. It starts on the button each time, and a failing pump I would expect it to be slower to start

Cliff notes -
the car has had new coils, new plugs (NGK BKR6EIX), replacement turbos, lines and alll coolant stuff done. Now bogs on WOT, runs fine under normal driving. I went on a small 30 miles cruise last night in it to check it

many thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 12:15 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

To add, I am doing a boost system pressure test before anything else, just got to wait for a new compressor this week.. ack
Old 01-05-2020, 04:32 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

No CEL's?

You will definitely want to get some data to see what's going on. I read back through and unless I am mistaken you did not remove the cams, so they probably aren't the issue.

I usually go with "what changed" but when you pull an engine there is a lot of "what changed" to deal with.

Is the car "bucking" when you get on it? In my UrS6, when a coil would get weak, heavy throttle would cause it to buck severely. Also boost leaks would do the same. Hopefully some data from the engine will pinpoint where the issue lies.

Ed
Old 03-02-2020, 10:01 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Just checking on how you are doing? Did you get this sorted?

Ed
Old 03-04-2020, 01:12 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by lliejk
Just checking on how you are doing? Did you get this sorted?

Ed
Hi Ed

Yes indeed bud. Thanks for your reply, sorry I missed it.
The car is running like a dream now since I fixed the issue (was about a week or two since my last issue post). It turned out the Pre Cat O2 sensor on bank 2 was goosed, but I had no codes to go off only a slightly iffy reading on Durametric.
So I thought I would replace both pre and post cat O2 sensors to see if that fixed the problem. Had to remove the exhaust, again lol to get them off but I replaced them with new and the car runs like a dream

Old 03-04-2020, 01:44 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Great to hear. Feels good tackling a major project like that, doesn't it? Kudos to you for sticking with it and being successful! Just in time for the nice weather too.

I wish you many, many miles of happiness!

Ed

Old 03-06-2020, 12:03 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by lliejk
Great to hear. Feels good tackling a major project like that, doesn't it? Kudos to you for sticking with it and being successful! Just in time for the nice weather too.

I wish you many, many miles of happiness!

Ed
Thanks Ed,
Indeed; I have done a good amount of spannering over the years but this was my first foray with a Porsche. Quite enjoyed it by the time I had finished and its a nice feeling being confident to tackle anything on the car.
Next job is get a 4WA done, repaint the calipers a different colour and fit service kits to them and I am tempted about getting intercoolers and hybrids on it. But we shall see on that!!
Have been using the car for driving to work sometimes and it never fails to put a smile on my face! I quite miss working on it so will find more things to do..!

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo DIY stripdown and repairs. Advice needed please