Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Turbo Forum
Reload this Page >

Random brain fart thread; what self-inflected "oops" did you do to your car?

Notices

Random brain fart thread; what self-inflected "oops" did you do to your car?

Old 07-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:15 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
User

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Similar issue. Had a Merc SLE 560 back in the mid 90s. It was a great car for several reasons. 1. No cop would ever pull it over. I was once doing 90 in a 40 and made eye to eye contact with a motorcycle cop that must have just figured I was friends with the mayor and my ticket would be written off. 2. The AC worked so well that on a humid day it would make enough ice on the outside windshield that it was possible to scrape it off and make a snow cone with it. (Even did it once to prove it could be done). 3. Broke one of the door pull handles once and thought I was due for $100 part and repair. It was less than $10.

Now the bad, the car's rear end would just break loose with no warning when going over icy bridges - even after carefully coasting across these bridges (no gas, no brake, no directional changes) was a harrowing experience. But with climate change already starting to show its hand, this could be overlooked. (ironic the SUV craze was in full swing during the 90s and it hadn't snowed in 5-6 years as I recall)

It was tree sap, some got on the roof, and before I noticed it had baked in and turned in to semi-amber. When I went to try every method I could think of (the usual suspects and incrementally more desperate and DOH! (hot water and Dawn, WD40, Goop, gasoline, etc) I finally got the sap off.

When it came off with the paint. Mother*&%&$!!!

Polar Silver with Carrera Red? My favorite color combination of all time. Take care of her.

Also around then - working on my 1966 Porsche - windshield wipers wouldn't always work. There was knurled piece that had a thread on the top of it. The wiper would engage the knurls and be tightened down by a nut on top. I was just using 2-3 fingers to tighten it down a teensy bit more when I felt the torque in my fingers go from 10lbs to 2lbs. Doh! I knew I had broke it off. Luckily a friend of mine was master bicycle frame builder and was able to braze the part back together.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Nate Tempest
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a stupid followed by a close call at my last track day. I had had the brake calipers off prior, and although I bled them, I wasn't surprised when a few more air bubbles worked their way loose and the brakes got a bit squishy during my first session.

No problem, I'd packed a bleeder hose and such just in case. But I didn't have a whole lot of time between sessions, so I figured I could just get a quick bleed by reaching through the wheel rather than jacking it up and taking the wheel off. It was a bit awkward, but it worked... until the hose slipped off and sprayed brake fluid all over my (rather hot) wheel and caliper. So now I'm frantically trying to clean off all the brake fluid before it ruins the paint on the wheel.

Did manage to get it all cleaned up and back together in time for my next session. Hop in the car and am starting to put my harness on when the thought strikes me—in all that commotion... did I forget to put the brake reservoir cap back on? Hop out, and sure enough, I'd closed the hood with the cap still off. Would have been quite a mess (or worse). Got lucky!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 PM
Domer911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

just about every DIY I do qualifies as an OOPS the first time. A buddy quipped once "Why pay a service center $300 when I can do it for $600. That's kind of how it works for me, too!
The following 4 users liked this post by Domer911:
billroth (07-10-2019), jeebus31 (07-14-2019), MexicoBlueTurboS (07-10-2019), sa52 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:43 PM
sidwin
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911 View Post
just about every DIY I do qualifies as an OOPS the first time. A buddy quipped once "Why pay a service center $300 when I can do it for $600. That's kind of how it works for me, too!
that's awesome quote...

i had front windshield tinted and the dash shrunk....
Old 07-10-2019, 12:54 AM
PorscheStrong
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sidwin View Post
that's awesome quote...
Indeed it is! Just laughed out loud!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:05 AM
tinkerbill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how its worked for me too many times to count. The upside is that it usually results in acquiring some new tools
Bill
Old 07-10-2019, 10:56 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
User

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

"Why pay a service center $300 when I can do it for $600?"
You won the internets with that one. Funny because it's 100% true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: