Sponsored by:

(Faulty) Electronic Oil Dipstick Readout

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:18 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default (Faulty) Electronic Oil Dipstick Readout

Last week my TTS oil was changed by a reputable independent dealer who's worked on my cars before. I know they properly drained my old oil and replaced it with 7.9 quarts of new oil because I provided the oil (Liqui Moly) and watched them do it (trust but verify). And unlike the 3.6L Mezger engine the 3.8L DFI has one instead of two drain plugs so I know they got that right too.

When I was returning home I received a "check oil level" warning message so I pulled off the road to check the level. The "bar" level was completely filled in when normally it should be at the top hash mark line that indicates full. I knew I had oil and it was too late to return to the dealer so, I continued home and gave them a call. They asked me to return and they would remove half a quart of oil which should cause the sensor to read the correct oil level. Today I returned to the dealer who removed half a quart. The level readout remained unchanged so they removed another half quart (I watched them) and the level readout still remained the same. At that point we decided that was enough and perhaps it was a faulty oil sensor sending unit. I also called my Porsche SA who said I should remove more oil which I have trouble believing. He also doubted it was a bad senor.

I checked my oil level again when I returned home, it was the same and I haven't received a fault message since the first one. So, in your opinion what is it 1) a faulty sensor, 2) still too much oil, or 3) this the normal reading?
Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Will need to be calibrated with the PIWIS tool.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Definitely not normal. I had my oil changed at my local indie shop by a new mechanic a couple of years ago and when I got into the car and checked the oil level it looked fine. The next day after driving the car for awhile I got the overfill warning. I brought it back and asked them to remove at least a quart and if it read low I’d add oil to bring it up to full. The mechanic insisted that he fully drained the oil and filled it with the correct amount. He drained about 3/4 of a quart. The oil level was at the full mark. I had another oil change since then with no problem. I don’t know what an oil sensor will cost to replace but if it’s expensive you’ may want to do another oil change to make sure it’s the sensor.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I wouldn't think too much about it. If you know oil came out and the new filter/ oil went in, the car is fine. Not familiar with the DFI engine oil filter, but if it's a spin on, it can hold a quart of oil. Depending on whether your shop pre-filled the filter, the amount of oil left in your motor after the change could be a quart off, either up or down. Enough to cause this for sure. I'd drive a few hundred miles and see if the reading changes and if no warning light appears, no issues, just wait until the next change. At the next change, drain a full 1 or 2 qts to confirm a commensurate reduction in the gauge. If so, I'd assume the sensor is fine and you were slightly overfilled. This would make sense, since pulling a 1/2 qt seems to have left you at a full reading and also stopped the oil warning light. The dealer was probably correct to recommend draining more oil, just to confirm the sensor is good, which it likely is. Further, I'd rather run a qrt low than a qrt high.

Sucks to not have a mechanical means of confirming your oil reading, I totally understand.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:32 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

This is why, at least for the 997.1 I will be swapping in a GT 3 stick.

I really dont don’t like the sensor approach for the lifeblood of the engine.

Ed
The following users liked this post:
dmen (12-30-2020)

Quick Reply: (Faulty) Electronic Oil Dipstick Readout