Sponsored by:

Akrapovic Now Available(again) for Porsche 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:56 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by R3dn3k Flyby
Unobtanium makes some great products without a doubt, but... beyond laying killer welds and having great fitment, there's no real R&D and sound development to his products. It's not like he's burning through hours and hours of R&D and labor and tons of material to develop a system and bring it to market. He also isn't factory equipment on any vehicle on this planet whereas Akrapovic is on BMW, Porsche, Lamborghini and others. Their tolerances, requirements, and attention to detail are second to none.
Yeah was tongue in cheek. I get that Akrapovic have a great reputation both with consumers and factories, but I'd expect that by aligning with the factories they would be somewhat constrained with how far they can go in terms of design. I'd personally rather something hand built and unique, and catless with helmholtz tubes. Sure the R&D isn't there, but I'm yet to see any negative press associated with his products, quite the opposite.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:02 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I remember seeing a similar R&D promotional video for IPE Exhausts and Tubi. There are other high quality manufacturers out there also. Akra is great though.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Vital Signs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Yeah was tongue in cheek. I get that Akrapovic have a great reputation both with consumers and factories, but I'd expect that by aligning with the factories they would be somewhat constrained with how far they can go in terms of design. I'd personally rather something hand built and unique, and catless with helmholtz tubes. Sure the R&D isn't there, but I'm yet to see any negative press associated with his products, quite the opposite.
There is only one problem with Chris (unobtainium)...he doesn't have a 997.2 jig. I've been after him for two years to build me an exhaust. I'm not in a spot to ship my car across the country for him to use as a base to fabricate a 997.2 base to make all future exhausts from. If I can't get one this year then I will buy an EP.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:00 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

How much more R/D would you need? Only advantage is that it’s lighter. Not much tubing length to play with, velocity, volume etc. don’t think that much money is going to make that much difference. Overpriced for sure.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VividRacing
MSRP for the full evolution system is $11,390.84 and MSRP for the catback system is $7974.57
8k?? that is insane, a perfect example of how to price yourself out of a market. Just wow....
Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe I'm out of touch, but the pricing doesn't seem too bad for a titanium system.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Maybe I'm out of touch, but the pricing doesn't seem too bad for a titanium system.
You can buy 20kg of 1.2mm titanium for ~$600.... 2 feet of 3" 1mm titanium tubing is $90 give or take..... NOwhere close to 8k even for labor and additional parts.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

In addition to the material cost, they do need to amortize their tooling and all engineering costs into the piece price. Given that they are a low volume supplier, this certainly effects the piece price. However, exhaust system engineering is not rocket science - need to do some flow modelling, play around with baffles and various tuning elements to achieve your sound and backpressure targets.

Pretty basic stuff. I stand by my estimate of $1000 fully accounted cost.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
You can buy 20kg of 1.2mm titanium for ~$600.... 2 feet of 3" 1mm titanium tubing is $90 give or take..... NOwhere close to 8k even for labor and additional parts.
Don't disagree the cost is high. The actual raw material is only part of the equation and I assume fabrication cost is higher than steel. Regardless, it seemed reasonably in line based on the optional cost I've seen for ordering titanium exhaust systems from other brands. For example, on the Ford GT, the optional titanium exhaust is $15,000. Same for the GT350-R. Titanium lug nuts are 5X the cost of steel. I assume there's big profit for light weighting. Again, no disagreement, it's $$$. id love to see the cost come down. Are there other titanium exhaust systems on the market for less?
Old 06-16-2019, 03:20 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob32Ford
In addition to the material cost, they do need to amortize their tooling and all engineering costs into the piece price. Given that they are a low volume supplier, this certainly effects the piece price. However, exhaust system engineering is not rocket science - need to do some flow modelling, play around with baffles and various tuning elements to achieve your sound and backpressure targets.

Pretty basic stuff. I stand by my estimate of $1000 fully accounted cost.
There are always extras in the auto business.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM
SteveS83
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The price is what it is. If you can afford it and it tickles your ears, go for it. For me the EP1 setup wasn't exactly cheap, but my ears smiled so that's what mattered.

Simple law of economics - supply and demand drives prices...

Quick Reply: Akrapovic Now Available(again) for Porsche 997 Turbo