Sponsored by:

Boost leak? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:03 PM
Johnny_Rico
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost leak? Please help

First time posted here. I have a 997.2 turbo and am looking for advice on what my problem is. I took it to a shop to have some maintenance done which included changing the spark plugs. I read its kind of a pain to do the job and when I got the car back something was wrong. Revving it in neutral seems fine, but when im in gear and rev it up i hear an air leak sound from the passenger side, especially present when letting off the throttle. I noticed the performance is down and I'm not getting much boost. Is it possible they didn't re-assemble everything correctly and there is a leak when it pressures up? As well, im getting no engine light. Please advise me on the problem, so I can at least tell them what I think it is because i think they are rather incompetent. They thought a heat shield was making the noise and didn't really take what I said into account. Im bringing it back and this time im going to tell them what I think the problem is and that I want it fixed. Thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico
First time posted here. I have a 997.2 turbo and am looking for advice on what my problem is. I took it to a shop to have some maintenance done which included changing the spark plugs. I read its kind of a pain to do the job and when I got the car back something was wrong. Revving it in neutral seems fine, but when im in gear and rev it up i hear an air leak sound from the passenger side, especially present when letting off the throttle. I noticed the performance is down and I'm not getting much boost. Is it possible they didn't re-assemble everything correctly and there is a leak when it pressures up? As well, im getting no engine light. Please advise me on the problem, so I can at least tell them what I think it is because i think they are rather incompetent. They thought a heat shield was making the noise and didn't really take what I said into account. Im bringing it back and this time im going to tell them what I think the problem is and that I want it fixed. Thanks
Yep, and I'd say highly likely. I had a similar issue one time after some warranty work.. Rather than take it back to the tech that messed it up in the first place, I took it home and fixed it myeslf. The Y-pipe wasn't fully seated to the throttle body in my case and leaking under boost..
Old 05-17-2019, 12:09 AM
quattrodoc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely... Mine was on one of the sides where it attaches to the Y pipe in the quarter panel before the throttle body. You're leaking in one of the spots.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:36 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Intercoolers typically come out for spark plug replacement, so yeah, there is definitely the possibility that a boost pipe isn't seated properly or worse.

But if they really are an incompetent shop, your better off just eating the cost and bringing it to a shop that knows what their doing. Having a bad shop hack on your car under :"warranty" is worse than just paying someone else to do the job right a second time.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico

Not really who you want working on these cars to be honest.

When ever I have my car or a customers car apart I always boost leak test in after putting the vehicle back together. There are to many hose connections to not check for leaks.

I would check to see if any of the clamps under the hood are loose. If its one under the car you will need to jack it up to check them
Old 05-21-2019, 02:00 PM
monty007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common problem and one that I recently experienced.

You can see in my picture the silver aluminum ring showing on the passenger side intercooler closest to the body. Easy way to check is to open the engine compartment and shine a light into the right side and you will probably see that it is not seated properly. You will have to take out the rear bumper - which is pretty easy to do.

You need to make sure the hose is seated like this picture to ensure the locking clips will work properly. I ended up having the inner gasket not seating right and I added a small amount of grease to make sure it seated properly. I would check both sides while the bumper is off and also check the bottom hoses coming off the turbo.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Boost leak? Please help