Sponsored by:

Introductions to my 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:11 AM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Introductions to my 997 turbo

Hi guys. Long time lurker here on RL. I'm Xavier from the DC/MD/VA. Apologies if my post is picture heavy. I thought I'd do an introduction to my on going project. I was strictly a HONDA guy and previously owned an NA1 NSX that I sold to purchase my first PORSCHE. I have been wanting to create a dedicated thread to it as I work on it and spruce it up. She is a 2007 turbo that has been moderately optioned with some nice factory upgrades (PCCB, full leather, 18 way adaptives, sport shifter etc.) It has been an amazing experience so far learning all the quirks and challenges of being the sole caretaker of the car. It started out as a very bumpy first 30 days, as I had to deal with a phantom check engine light that would randomly pop up for MAF implausible codes (turned out to be an easy fix with bank 1 and bank 2 MAF replacement) and a leaking front left radiator (dealership who I bought it from replaced it free of charge). In the short 14 months that I have had it, it has gone through some changes.

The ultimate goal for this car is to keep it nice and very well maintained, use it as a tool to further enhance my skills as an automotive service technician, modify it in a very subtle way, and just enjoy driving it as much as I can. Below you'll find some random shots I've taken throughout the year. Hope you enjoy!

The day I picked her up

Installing H&R lowering springs.

Installed Fifteen52 Formula GT wheels with new tires.

New ride height and wheels

Engine out service started

Powertrain removed

starting to break her down

Water passages off and adhesive removed

Sharkwerks GT1 metal pipes installed onto oil cooler housing

pinned pipes and new adhesive on all 7 outlets

tapping/drilling/nerveracking

Picked up a second hand KLINE catless exhaust and polished up my factory tips

Pipes pinned, all coolant rubber hoses replaced, all o rings and seals and gaskets replaced, replaced 6 coils and plugs, replaced water pump and TSTAT, replaced propeller shaft GUIBO, replaced bank 1 and bank 2 secondary o2 sensors (frozen in the factory exhaust), replaced serpentine belt, things cleaned up, exhaust installed and new pentosin PS fluid, clutch hydraulic fluid, freeze protection and oil change.

After the service was done. Sold off the Fifteen52's and put back my stock wheels with 7/15mm spacers. After I ran the car for about 250 miles, I also serviced the MT, Front diff and AWD controller with new fluids.

After the service was done, I decided to freshen up the interior. The carbon package interior had seen better days and the clear coat on most of the plastics were all cracked. I removed the center console, stripped it down and had it professionally painted and then ceramic coated to match the exterior color of the car. GT3 shift **** installed. Installed an apple carplay unit and routed the data cable to the center console. I also vacuumed the interior for the first time ever in life. Somewhere between this photo and the next one, I performed a computerized 4WA.

Here's how she sits today. I found one of my favorite wheels for sale on RL and the deal was too good to pass up so I jumped on them. As of now the car is running amazing and riding so smooth.

Last edited by NSXavier; 05-24-2019 at 08:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSXavier:
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-14-2019), snolvr (10-25-2022)
Old 05-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice post about what I consider reasonable (or required in terms of the coolant pipes) light mods - it's a good lookin car and glad you're enjoying it!

Don't know how much further I'm going to go with mine beyond the Europipe exhaust and TPC DSC; I'm not sure about a tune or just leaving the DME system stock.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Your turbo looks awesome. Thanks for all the photos. I love seeing pics of the engine out service. Just curious how many miles you have on it?

I plan to strip the interior plastics and paint them black as well - really improves the look of the interior.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health! If you can provide a comparison between NSX and the 997. Thanks...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM
05Mdriver
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Love it !

Are the Volks 19 inch ?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Your turbo looks awesome. Thanks for all the photos. I love seeing pics of the engine out service. Just curious how many miles you have on it?

I plan to strip the interior plastics and paint them black as well - really improves the look of the interior.
Thank you! She just rolled over 56,000 this AM.

Originally Posted by masti99
Congrats, enjoy in good health! If you can provide a comparison between NSX and the 997. Thanks...
There really is no comparison. The 911 overall is a better car; but at the same time it's not fair to compare a 28 year old Japanese "super car" with a 12 year old German performance car. The NSX was way more agile, but at the same time felt very fragile. The 911 just does everything very well whereas the NSX just did things good, and performed very well in the corners.

Originally Posted by 05Mdriver
Love it !

Are the Volks 19 inch ?
Thank you! Yes, 19" widebody specific TE37's.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Congratulations and nicely done. I was a big NSX guy too. Enjoy it!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 05-18-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice car and progress! I think the Rays/Volks give a little JDM nod to your past taste in cars and it all works rather nicely. Were you at Hershey swap meet last month? I could've sworn I saw a Turbo with these wheels.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work and congrats Xavier and enjoy, she's a keeper! Need to be thinking about that July event in PA...
Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

The new wheels look so good. Am jealous. Note your exhaust tips don't look factory
Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

When I get to 50k miles I am hoping I can leave my car with you for a few weeks. Very thorough and thoughtful upgrades and maintenance.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

Nice car and kudos on all the work you're doing. You've obviously got some skills!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
Nice car and progress! I think the Rays/Volks give a little JDM nod to your past taste in cars and it all works rather nicely. Were you at Hershey swap meet last month? I could've sworn I saw a Turbo with these wheels.
Hi thank you! I was at Hershey last month, but I did not have the TE37's on the car at that time. I did caravan down with @mudbuddha who has 20" TE37's on his turbo.

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Nice work and congrats Xavier and enjoy, she's a keeper! Need to be thinking about that July event in PA...
Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by boisenelson
Nice car and kudos on all the work you're doing. You've obviously got some skills!
Thank you... I try!

Headed to OCMD this weekend which makes it a 300 mile round trip. All in all after the big service was done and the road trip coming up, I would have clocked 1.3k miles with only one very minor hiccup (leaking ECT sensor - easy fix with a new crush washer; NOT FUN TO REMOVE THOUGH). Thanks for all the replies... I'll update thread with random photos and service work along the way.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 AM
texasnoiz
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

volks look great on this car! Enjoy in good health!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LOVING THE TE's

I've had a few sets over the years, and currently have a set of TE Black's on my RX7 race car. Bitchin' .1 man.

Quick Reply: Introductions to my 997 turbo