Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introductions to my 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

@NSXavier Great progression of upgrades. Looks like an amazing car. What does 'FltRate' refer to ?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,252 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Romulus90
I can't tell.. did you have a local shop do the coolant pipes, or is that your place? I called a few local Porsche specialty shops and they had never heard of the coolant pipes going bad...
Yes, I did the coolant pipe preventative repair on the car myself at the dealership I work for. I would have your P car shop do a little more homework, as @Skwerl said, it's probably the most common BIG failure known to occur on the early water cooled Mezgers.

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
@NSXavier Great progression of upgrades. Looks like an amazing car. What does 'FltRate' refer to ?
Thanks! FLTRATE = FLAT RATE. Being an automotive service technician by trade, I thought it would be clever to hint at my profession. Flat rate is the the way most all service techs pay structure is based. Basically paid by time units per job. Additionally, within the technicians circle, to "flat rate" a job you're doing means to do it as fast and efficiently as you possibly can. Example: I flat rated the f*ck out of that piston job. Being that the car is pretty much the fastest car I've owned, I'm a service technician by trade who likes to think I work pretty quickly, and the car has a turbo Flat Six...I felt the plate works in more ways than one.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:16 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent thread, I am doing an engine out stripdown on my car at present, good to see what you have done. Mines a tip :/ but if it was a manual I would be all over that new shifter setup you have, it looks superb.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:20 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

One question in fact. I am doing pretty much the same work as you have done (plus replacing a chain guide sealing washer). Did you vacuum test or pressure test the coolant system in any way before refitting the engine (after doing all the pipe resealing, oring replacement, rubber pipe replacement.
I would really like to vac test the system before re installing the engine. the other option is triple check everything and hope for the best. I am doing mine off axle stands in my garage so I would really rather not have to take the engine out again for a micro leak I missed!

thanks
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theanalyst
One question in fact. I am doing pretty much the same work as you have done (plus replacing a chain guide sealing washer). Did you vacuum test or pressure test the coolant system in any way before refitting the engine (after doing all the pipe resealing, oring replacement, rubber pipe replacement.
I would really like to vac test the system before re installing the engine. the other option is triple check everything and hope for the best. I am doing mine off axle stands in my garage so I would really rather not have to take the engine out again for a micro leak I missed!

thanks
Thank you. Yes I vacuum tested the entire system using the motiv coolant bleeder/filler. I basically blocked off one of the main water passages for the rear coolant hose along with all the other open hoses and used the remaining water passage to fit the tool onto and pull a vacuum. once it was vacuumed, I let it sit for about 20 minutes and monitored the gauge. It never bled off so at that point was when it was gtg for me.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:54 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by NSXavier
Thank you. Yes I vacuum tested the entire system using the motiv coolant bleeder/filler. I basically blocked off one of the main water passages for the rear coolant hose along with all the other open hoses and used the remaining water passage to fit the tool onto and pull a vacuum. once it was vacuumed, I let it sit for about 20 minutes and monitored the gauge. It never bled off so at that point was when it was gtg for me.
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. and for oil lines? not able to test I guess?
Do you mean you fitted the tool to one of the big coolant connectors that hook up to the rubber pipes in the engine bay (that go to hardpipes around they bay)?
I dont yet have a vacuum tester but will be getting one for when I refill it with coolant, what adapters does that one come with?
thanks again
Old 07-15-2019, 02:12 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! FLTRATE = FLAT RATE. Being an automotive service technician by trade, I thought it would be clever to hint at my profession. Flat rate is the the way most all service techs pay structure is based. Basically paid by time units per job. Additionally, within the technicians circle, to "flat rate" a job you're doing means to do it as fast and efficiently as you possibly can. Example: I flat rated the f*ck out of that piston job. Being that the car is pretty much the fastest car I've owned, I'm a service technician by trade who likes to think I work pretty quickly, and the car has a turbo Flat Six...I felt the plate works in more ways than one.
All I can say is Xavier can Flat-Out wrench on these P-cars ! Guys, I have seen the car in person and it is very kleeeeennnn. Nice work on the Numeric piece man, a shame indeed that it's all covered up!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:52 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Default Some maintenance

Back in August, I decided to take off my front bumper and hood to have it resprayed and fix all the rock chips that peppered the front end after 12 years and 57k miles. To take off the front cover, the front wheels have to be removed. When I took off the front right wheel, I had CV grease all over my hand. Great. What started out as a simple aesthetic improvement ended up becoming another project. The front axles received new front inner and outer CV joint boots and grease and hardware. The front damper assemblies received new top hats and bump stops. I also cleaned and freshened up the front and rear brake calipers and applied ceramic coating to them. I had my painter who’s a personal friend of mine refinish the hood and bumper along with a new aftermarket front lip. After 30 days, I then had my detailer come by and refine everything and perform the 6 month maintenance on the car.

Fun times. -_-

Torn down

Suspension and axles about to go back in after installing new parts

photos my painter sent me from the booth

Torn CV boot

old top hats and bump stops

Photo taken by my detailer

Car is currently listed for sale, though I don’t know if I could actually let it go after the time I’ve put into working on it.

Last edited by NSXavier; 10-30-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:28 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Great looking car. I struggle with the amount of nonsense motivational garbage used in Instagram marketing...
The following 3 users liked this post by nzskater:
jayi836 (10-31-2019), jeebus31 (10-31-2019), NSXavier (10-31-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Msawan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELLO

I AM THINKING OF GETTING THE FIFTEEN52 WHEELS LIKE THE ONES YOU HAD ON YOUR CAR. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THEM. I REALLY LIKE THE LOOK BUT I DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE TOO HEAVY OR ANY CONS ABOUT THEM, SINCE YOU REPLACED THEM LATER WITH ANOTHER MODEL.

THANK YOU
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 PM
turbski
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What head unit did you install and what do you think of it? How was the install?

Do you have the Bose ?
Old 11-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Daweil
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The car looks great! A lot of work for a new owner. What's the drop with those H&R springs? I got Eibach 0.8" drop. Barely noticeable over the stock height. Love the TE37s. Straight up trade with my HRE's? ​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Introductions to my 997 turbo