Notices

Introductions to my 997 turbo

Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 PM
monty007
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Xavier! Awesome work on your car!! You have obviously been wrenching a long time to take on an engine-out process right out of the gate! Love seeing the progress pics and the tasteful mods you have done so far. I am currently working on my car as well and planning to do the H&R springs. Was it a fairly straight-forward process? I have done lots of cars in the past and I'm coming from an extensive Honda background myself. I have heard that it is a bit of a process. Also it looks like your last picture the car is sitting pretty low on the new rim/tire combo. Any rubbing with the springs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 PM
NSXavier
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better picture to show wheel / tire clearance
Originally Posted by monty007 View Post
Hi Xavier! Awesome work on your car!! You have obviously been wrenching a long time to take on an engine-out process right out of the gate! Love seeing the progress pics and the tasteful mods you have done so far. I am currently working on my car as well and planning to do the H&R springs. Was it a fairly straight-forward process? I have done lots of cars in the past and I'm coming from an extensive Honda background myself. I have heard that it is a bit of a process. Also it looks like your last picture the car is sitting pretty low on the new rim/tire combo. Any rubbing with the springs?

Thanks in advance!
Hi thank you. The suspension install wasn’t too bad. If you’ve done them on one car then it’s pretty much the same concept. Rear shelf comes apart to access the rear shock tower nuts. The lower dog bones loosen and the rear shocks come right out. For the front, I’ve seen people leave the front knuckles on and then compress the spring to get enough clearance to worm the shocks out .... but that method seems like danger to self and fenders and like way more work then than just breaking the lower ball joint loose and removing the front knuckles with the shock. I took pretty much the entire front suspension apart and the only things on the car were the lower control arms. Once they’re off, it’s just a simple spring swap. You can probably get everything done on a Saturday afternoon.

The photos show the car at its most current ride height and after a year of allowing the springs to settle. There’s no rubbing whatsoever on full lock turns, or full compression even with the wheel spacers I have on. Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:14 PM
monty007
User

Perfect! Thanks for the info and man, that stance is on point!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 AM
jayi836
User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great work and congrats Xavier, thanks for sharing may want to tackle the coolant pinning now
Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 PM
jason95R
User

The stance with the spacers is perfection. I too came from the Japanese world. (Subaru WRX/STI) so the Volks have a soft spot in my heart too. Looking good and keep the updates coming as your car changes.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM
NSXavier
User

Originally Posted by texasnoiz View Post
volks look great on this car! Enjoy in good health!
Originally Posted by gsxrjjordan View Post
LOVING THE TE's

I've had a few sets over the years, and currently have a set of TE Black's on my RX7 race car. Bitchin' .1 man.
Originally Posted by monty007 View Post
Perfect! Thanks for the info and man, that stance is on point!
Originally Posted by jayi836 View Post
Great work and congrats Xavier, thanks for sharing may want to tackle the coolant pinning now
Originally Posted by jason95R View Post
The stance with the spacers is perfection. I too came from the Japanese world. (Subaru WRX/STI) so the Volks have a soft spot in my heart too. Looking good and keep the updates coming as your car changes.
Thanks for the support guys! I'm glad I was able to get it to the point where it is now to be able to enjoy the car over the Summer. It'll probably stay the way it is until the Fall when I dive into some more updates for it. I'll be sure to update the thread with more photos as she progresses... to serve as a documented build thread so to speak. For now here are some random shots I have.

More photos of the engine out service

Also freshened up my intake manifold with new paint

Check your guibos... PORSCHE doesn't sell this separate from the propeller shaft!!! $$$$$ This is off a 996 Turbo from Pelican Parts
Alignment being done

Alignment being done..

center console being stripped and prepped

center console being stripped and prepped

Painted console

Another thing I forgot to mention... the car came with this 3rd party carbon fiber HVAC vents with painted yellow slats. Though extremely expensive... the look was not for me. I swapped them out with some standard grey vents with black slats from a GT3. FS if anyone wants em...

Also forgot to mention that when everything was done and complete, I had my detailer come by the house for a paint correction and ceramic coating.

The paint is by no means perfect... but as good as it's gonna get for being 12 years old.

And a couple more most recent pics.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM
jeebus31
User

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Great photos. Agree about the flex disc/guibo. I recently replaced mine and it was torn to shreds.

While it’s true that Porsche doesn’t sell this part separately from the drive shaft, you can get a replacement from febi bilstein here: https://www.warehouse33auto.com/FEBI...57/10-2539-005

Here’s how mine looked before I replaced it
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
NSXavier
User

Default 07/08/2019; NUMERIC shifter and cables install.

Recently, I have been having problems with the turbos shifter popping into a what would be best described as a false neutral position. When this would happen, I would not be able to put the car into any gear. Luckily, it only happened a few times and when it did, after about a second or two of coasting while messing with the shifter, it would find its way back into the true neutral where I could then place it back in gear. I looked under the car one day after driving and saw that the plastic retainer which holds the self centering cable in place had broken and thus, would slip out of the catch randomly. I temporarily fixed it with safety wire and cable ties, but knew that a more permanent solution would be needed. I decided to go with the NUMERIC bundle which includes the heavy duty cables, billet shifter box, installation wrench and decal. Below are some photos of the install.

Placed on jack stands.

Shifter detail

Shifter detail

shifter detail

Here you can see the safety wire and cable ties I had holding the self center cable in place.

Here's a comparison of the factory shifter box and cables compared to the NUMERIC.

Shifter box set in place.

Can't get over how great this part looks

Shifter cables installed along with the shifter box.

New cables adjusted and torqued down.

It's a shame this thing has to be covered up.

Random shot of first road test with the new parts installed.

Overall impressions of the modification are great. The shifter and cables definitely change the way the car feels. What it can be best described as is a SOLID feeling shifter with no slop. It almost makes it feel as though the shifter is right on top of the transmission. Self centering has vastly improved and engagement is nice and crisp. Noise level is unchanged from stock.

Install difficulty is moderate. In retrospect, I should have done this at my shop on a lift rather than on my back in my garage. The shifter box is a straight forward swap which only requires removal of the center console to do. The cables is what took the longest feeding everything through with very little room to work and then finalizing the length adjustment of each.

Last edited by NSXavier; 07-08-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM
campbellcj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice write-up and photos! I've been thrilled with my Numeric as well. A few small tweaks (although not small $) can truly transform the driving experience with these cars, particularly the .1
Old 07-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Skwerl
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the Numeric shifter a few months ago and didn't get much out of it. I'll be having the cables installed in the next couple weeks so I'm hoping they make the impact I was looking for. (Just conceptually, I think they are the key component in the shifting experience.)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:10 PM
jayi836
User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31 View Post
Great photos. Agree about the flex disc/guibo. I recently replaced mine and it was torn to shreds.

While it’s true that Porsche doesn’t sell this part separately from the drive shaft, you can get a replacement from febi bilstein here: https://www.warehouse33auto.com/FEBI...57/10-2539-005

Here’s how mine looked before I replaced it
Thanks for the link just ordered the flex disc, great shifter would love to have one perhaps there next sale
Old 07-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Torque-less
User

Subscribed for the pics and progress!
Old 07-13-2019, 11:45 PM
Romulus90
User

I can't tell.. did you have a local shop do the coolant pipes, or is that your place? I called a few local Porsche specialty shops and they had never heard of the coolant pipes going bad...
Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Skwerl
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Romulus90 View Post
I can't tell.. did you have a local shop do the coolant pipes, or is that your place? I called a few local Porsche specialty shops and they had never heard of the coolant pipes going bad...
That's not a good sign, it's probably the most well known/infamous failing of the Mezger engine in the 996/997 Turbos and GT cars.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 AM
Jafo001
New User

Default Respect

As a Tech novice i am always impressed with people who can do all these work themawlvees. Own a 72 targa and will get mu turbo end of this week. Really looking forward to it and your post helps me to understand THE New Vs THE classic 72 Technology somewhat better. Txs an enjoy.

Last edited by Jafo001; 07-14-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: