Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car intermittently pulling to the left.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Snapper2323
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car intermittently pulling to the left.

I have 2009 manual turbo with 63k miles which I recently add H&R springs, new wheels and tires. After installing the springs and wheels I drove it maybe 3 times with no issues. I then had an alignment done and drove it home with no issues. On the next outing I noticed intermittently I have an episode where the car feels like a slight grind (grind might be the wrong word) but more like something is causing resistance for a second or two then it pulls to the left long enough for me to straighten the wheel then it tracks back straight. This has been going on for about a week. I can drive it on the same path and it might happen 1 time or it might happen 4 times. I have tried different gear changes, different speeds to see if I could get it to do it at will but can’t. I took it back to the alignment shop and the tech drove it and said he felt it happen once. He checked the alignment and it is within spec, he took a temp gun to read to see if a brake was sticking and it wasn’t it. He is thinking it might be a cv axle needing to be replaced. I have listened for any noises and I don’t hear anything. Does anyone know what could be the culprit?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Couple things, be sure your tires aren’t rubbing, ck the wheels too
what wheels and tires? Size descepency?
cv ax possibly but unlikely
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 PM
Snapper2323
Rennlist Member

They are 19” Champion RG5’s:

Front - 19x9 ET 53 w/ 245/30/19 Michelin Pilot 4S
Rear - 19x12 ET 44 w/ 305/30/19 Michelin Pilot 4S

So I believe they are close to the factory rim size. I checked for rubbing and didn’t see anything. Not really sure what do at this point. Replacing the axles would be @1600 without knowing if that is the fix.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I know you mentioned that the tech checked the brakes, but sounds like it was just a temperature check. You might have picked up a rock or something that's dragging on the rotor without heating it materially. Pull the pads and double check. I'd not go throwing money at axles/cvs if the boots are intact and not making noise, particularly when you turn.

How are your tie rod ends? Other suspension bushings?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:07 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Snapper2323
They are 19” Champion RG5’s:

Front - 19x9 ET 53 w/ 245/30/19 Michelin Pilot 4S
Rear - 19x12 ET 44 w/ 305/30/19 Michelin Pilot 4S

So I believe they are close to the factory rim size. I checked for rubbing and didn’t see anything. Not really sure what do at this point. Replacing the axles would be @1600 without knowing if that is the fix.
Did you buy these on the marketplace a few weeks ago? I almost got those exact wheels and still kick myself for backing out of that deal.

I had the same problem on mine with 75k miles. Before you spend too much money on crazy fixes...check your tire PSI and make sure fronts are matching within .5 and same with rears. I was pulling to the right but was also 2 psi off. I filled up with an electric pump that is usually good to about .5 psi, but then used my handheld gauge to release a little PSI until both rears wear matching within .1 and same with the fronts.

Car rides fairly straight now, almost no issue. I have a GT3 alignment on my car, and it just turned 75k miles today so if it pulls a very tiny bit...I mean you cant be too mad at an old car that you *hopefully* ring out to redline as often as possible.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:55 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

classic sign of a wheel bearing going out
Old 05-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Snapper2323
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USNA12
Did you buy these on the marketplace a few weeks ago? I almost got those exact wheels and still kick myself for backing out of that deal.

I had the same problem on mine with 75k miles. Before you spend too much money on crazy fixes...check your tire PSI and make sure fronts are matching within .5 and same with rears. I was pulling to the right but was also 2 psi off. I filled up with an electric pump that is usually good to about .5 psi, but then used my handheld gauge to release a little PSI until both rears wear matching within .1 and same with the fronts.

Car rides fairly straight now, almost no issue. I have a GT3 alignment on my car, and it just turned 75k miles today so if it pulls a very tiny bit...I mean you cant be too mad at an old car that you *hopefully* ring out to redline as often as possible.

Thanks for the advice. I believe it was the tire pressure. My rear driver side tire only had 15psi. Visually it didn’t even look low. It’s weird that it would cause an intermittent grind when pulling to the left. Maybe something with traction control? But since I put air in it, drives great. I did buy the Champion wheels from marketplace. I really like them, especially since I lowered the car. They were on a 996 turbo so they dont have TPMS sensors installed. I bought some, just need to get them installed. If you are still interested in the Champion wheels there are some on Facebook group Porsche 997 Turbo/GT2 Enthusiasts for sale.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:49 AM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I would jack up each corner of the car and rotate the wheel/tire by hand to see if I can feel/hear anything other than maybe a slight brake drag. Turn the front wheels fully left and rotate the wheel then fully right and again rotate the wheel by hand feeling and listening closely for a bearing problem, brake problem or something in the gearcase. As someone mentioned, crawl under the car and inspect all the boots for damage. Also check to see if the pads are worn out as sometimes when they are very thin the calipers dont retract the pads correctly and the brakes drag. I certainly hope your car is ok but I cant help but think there is more here than a tire pressure issue. Its the random and intermittent thing and grinding that would concern me. Have the driveline fluids been drained/replaced with the factory spec'ed fluids?
bill

Last edited by tinkerbill; 05-19-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: .

Quick Reply: Car intermittently pulling to the left.