Best upgrades for 997.1 TT 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Best upgrades for 997.1 TT 6mt

As usual - Need to make the car mine. Just, Cant. Help. Myself.

What are the best upgrades? Or the most common ones?

Have a Kevin Tune and EP on the way.
Already have new wheels and tyres.
I have also recently acquired a BluTooth upgrade device - which will be going in when i pull the seats and centre console out. :0
I am on the hunt for a used DSC - I am happy to be the guinea pig for the now 5 ( soon 6) buddies of mine with 997.1 and .2's

So basically:

Engine Mounts?
Shifting cable/end upgrades? Car already has SSK from Porsche - but would love to tighten it all up.

I am contemplating a steering wheel upgrade
Any others that will add to the Driving experience ?

Simon

Last edited by Full Boost; 05-08-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:53 AM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Areas of improvement:

Power - Tune / Exhaust / Intercoolers
Transmission - Get rid of hydraulic clutch
Ride / Handling - DSC / LSD / GT2RS Rear Sway
Convenience - Lithium Battery so you can leave your car for any period without plugging it into a charger
Entertainment - There are no great options but the Dension is probably the best of what is out there
Old 05-08-2019, 10:08 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

You already appear to have covered short list. (exhaust + tune)

GT2 RS rear bar (aka sway bar) - oem.

Suspension - DSC + B8s (hard to find) or Tractive (expensive) + GMG or Eibach springs.

Motor mounts - replace if worn - oem work. Some guys do trans mount too. There's a company that makes an insert.

Dension is a BT option and it works, but lots of guys, like me, have CD error message on start-up.

lets see the new wheels and tires!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:16 AM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Mods

Would be helpful to know current mileage, any mods and intended use to provide suggestions.

Handling:

Yes, DSC is great, meaningful, and noticeable improvement...do it. If you are going to drive it very aggressively consider adding a GT2 rear sway bar with the DSC for a flatter and more responsive setup. Obviously if you are looking for a track oriented setup coil overs or bilstein struts/shocks will be a consideration.

Alignment can make a significant difference, get a more aggressive setup...check out other threads for suggested alignments depending on your end use..

Shifting:

Shifting improvement can come from several changes: 1) change trans fluid, 2) upgrade trans mount with bushing inserts....if the bushings ate original replace the entire bushing/mount and add inserts, 3) engine mount's that are worn can affect clutch feel/take up point inconsistancy...several choices from solid to semi-semi solid, 4) Numeric shifter is great add...I did not change cables and can vouch for improved and more enjoyable shifting. 5) BBI clutch slave cyl will further improve clutch feel/pickup point as well as eliminate future/ineviable accumulator and stock slave cyl replacement.

Once again if you're adding power (tune) and tracking the car, a clutch (Sachs 2.5) would be wise.

Preventive maintenance:

If tracking the car, pinning or welding cooling hose pipes may be required (or recommended).
Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Have ordered GT2 Bar as well. Car has LSD.
Kevin wants me to get GT2 RS Intercoolers - so they're on the (now very expensive) list.

I am hoping my Blutooth thing works - otherwise just the sweet sound of an EP will have to do at this stage!

Interested in thoughts on Cup cables or upgraded sockets?

Pics of the Wheels:

Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lflouie
Would be helpful to know current mileage, any mods and intended use to provide suggestions.

Handling:

Yes, DSC is great, meaningful, and noticeable improvement...do it. If you are going to drive it very aggressively consider adding a GT2 rear sway bar with the DSC for a flatter and more responsive setup. Obviously if you are looking for a track oriented setup coil overs or bilstein struts/shocks will be a consideration.

Alignment can make a significant difference, get a more aggressive setup...check out other threads for suggested alignments depending on your end use..

Shifting:

Shifting improvement can come from several changes: 1) change trans fluid, 2) upgrade trans mount with bushing inserts....if the bushings ate original replace the entire bushing/mount and add inserts, 3) engine mount's that are worn can affect clutch feel/take up point inconsistancy...several choices from solid to semi-semi solid, 4) Numeric shifter is great add...I did not change cables and can vouch for improved and more enjoyable shifting. 5) BBI clutch slave cyl will further improve clutch feel/pickup point as well as eliminate future/ineviable accumulator and stock slave cyl replacement.

Once again if you're adding power (tune) and tracking the car, a clutch (Sachs 2.5) would be wise.

Preventive maintenance:

If tracking the car, pinning or welding cooling hose pipes may be required (or recommended).
Car has only 41000 kms. Zero mods ATM but highly specced. Just want a nice weekender, serious track days are behind me now (I think) that sounds and goes well.
Coil-overs aren't off the table - but once I've recovered from the initial hit of purchase + Taxes + EP + Tyres + Service.
Its going to my old race engineers for a thorough going over + fluid flush + service + EP fitment + Alignment + GT2 Rear bar.
Realise I might be up for a clutch - and if so will preventatively pin coolant pipes at same time.

One of the reason i ask about shifting mech - is that i intended on pulling seats and centre console (to be painted) and hopefully fit GT2 Buckets.

Everyone raves about the DSC - So I'm looking.

Keen to hear about shifter upgrade - does it fit under stock console?

Thanks heaps fellas.

SIMON

Last edited by Full Boost; 05-08-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:09 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

NICE GR !

GT2 buckets are the best. ($$$$)

RS shifters pretty tight in my experience.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:14 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

For what its worth, I bought the AMS intercoolers and as soon as speed picks up and air flow increases, the car just goes. Slight difference from the Champion ones I had, but the AMS ones make you feel like everyday is a nice crisp cool "turbo" day...even when its 90 degrees and humid. Also going to e85 soon and wanted the best IC I could get, especially if I do a 3.8 build in the next year or two.

email me leghaj at gmail and I will send you what all my car has, most from the previous owner. the few that have driven it constantly comment on how mean it sounds, how hard the power hits, and how well it handles.

love the wheels
Old 05-08-2019, 11:15 AM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Shifter

Yes it fits perfectly...stunningly made, high quality piece.

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Car has only 41000 kms. Zero mods ATM but highly specced. Just want a nice weekender, serious track days are behind me now (I think) that sounds and goes well.
Coil-overs aren't off the table - but once I've recovered from the initial hit of purchase + Taxes + EP + Tyres + Service.
Its going to my old race engineers for a thorough going over + fluid flush + service + EP fitment + Alignment + GT2 Rear bar.
Realise I might be up for a clutch - and if so will preventatively pin coolant pipes at same time.

One of the reason i ask about shifting mech - is that i intended on pulling seats and centre console (to be painted) and hopefully fit GT2 Buckets.

Everyone raves about the DSC - So I'm looking.

Keen to hear about shifter upgrade - does it fit under stock console?

Thanks heaps fells.

SIMON
Old 05-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm not totally convinced on the Numeric shifter, especially if you already have the SSK. You can get a shorter throw, sure, but otherwise they feel identical in smoothness and I think the biggest difference would be had with a cables upgrade. Since the shift lever floats freely in the shifter frame, almost all of the actual "feel" in shifting comes from the cables + transmission. (I have the shifter but haven't gotten around to having my indy do the cables yet.)

Otherwise, agree with everyone on trans mount, engine mounts, GT2 swaybar, and DSC.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

RS Mounts if you are going to put mounts in would be a good way to go due to sometimes the other aftermarket mounts trigger lots of knock values. Kevin helped me track this down when he tuned my 997. For the shifter you can always replace the worn out plastic bushings with some new metal ones like the GT3 and re-align the shifter after putting mounts in.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Deckman, post a picture of what you are talking about. Show the community what the issue is (visually). It causes a TON of grief for turbo owners that don't realize the issue. You can crop/shade the "name" of the Vendor..
Again, the FACTORY Genuine Porsche RS mounts "just work" Don't purchase the aftermarket clones. Get the real Genuine Porsche mounts..
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

If Lightweight, 35lbs + weight loss just changing the battery are desired.... and a massively cool feature like Wireless built in Jump Starting are desired then check out our stuff. the Wireless Jump Starting feature is very cool because you can't be locked out of your frunk ever.... if you discharge the battery by leaving lights on or in storage, lead/acid batteries are just dead... you have to energize the system to get in the frunk to even access the battery. With our Wireless built-in Jump starting you press our keyfob... the battery wakes up with enough energy to start the car or power your system to open the frunk....

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/

Old 05-08-2019, 04:46 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Deckman, post a picture of what you are talking about. Show the community what the issue is (visually). It causes a TON of grief for turbo owners that don't realize the issue. You can crop/shade the "name" of the Vendor..
Again, the FACTORY Genuine Porsche RS mounts "just work" Don't purchase the aftermarket clones. Get the real Genuine Porsche mounts..
Glad to!

While this may not be every case, in mine it was the root cause of timing retardation due to the knock sensors picking up noise.

So here is the surface area of the stock mount.
Name:  8FIvBmA.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  772.8 KB

Billet Mounts, tried from two different companies.
Name:  IXtOuZ1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  725.8 KB

As you can see on the billet mounts the clamp area is very small with the milled square. You can visually see the wear from it moving around in the engine carrier even being tightened correctly due to the small clamping space.

This mark I concluded was the result from when going pull throttle a bit of movement with the mount would cause a "ping" that the knock sensors would pick up on when going WOT, once the drivetrain would load up fully the knock values would drop. The stock mounts or RS mounts do exhibit this issue I believe in part to the larger clamping area on the engine carrier. Mounts had less than 500 miles on them.
Name:  RqpxXJN.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  700.2 KB
Name:  p4HpUIq.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  651.2 KB
Old 05-08-2019, 04:56 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Very interesting. Cool that you figured it out. Could have gone down a wild goose chase...

Quick Reply: Best upgrades for 997.1 TT 6mt