Sponsored by:

PADM Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by dave292
My 2012 Turbo has 20025 miles on it and the tips are slightly moving downward.... they recommended replacing the mounts.... Dealer is quoting $2847 just for parts!!!!
Sorry to laugh at your expense, but I find this funny as hell... I love Porsches, but sagging motor mounts needing replacement has been a minor hassle since air cooled 911's. And for Porsche to update to active mounts that do all kinds of great things, but have the SAME failure mode but now with a huge replacement cost just makes me lol...

Put in a set of non-active 964 RS motor mounts for a few hundred bucks and be done with it...

But if you did want to retain the active mounts, I'm sure you could source them from Suncoast or Sunset for a bunch less than the dealer is quoting and install them yourself or at an indy...
Old 05-12-2019, 05:21 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

That's the direction I'm heading but everything about the Dynamic mounts is different from the standard one's. This is exactly why I posted pictures of my mounts. I don't want to buy new mounts, RSS, only to find out they are not compatible with the Dynamic brackets, bolts etc. As far as direct replacements, the best price I've found is $1190 EACH! I don't want to go that way again.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

I just ordered the RSS mounts which should be here next week. I also learned that if you unplug the connectors from the Dynamic mounts you get "PADM Failure" error on the dash. If you plug the connectors back in the fault message does not reappear. Now I need to learn how to code out the mounts failure code. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dave292
I just ordered the RSS mounts which should be here next week. I also learned that if you unplug the connectors from the Dynamic mounts you get "PADM Failure" error on the dash. If you plug the connectors back in the fault message does not reappear. Now I need to learn how to code out the mounts failure code. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
You need a PIWIS. I would just drive the car to the dealer and ask them too
Old 05-16-2019, 04:15 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Closest good reliable dealer is 6 hours away, Porsche of Co Springs. I spoke with them previously and they suggested adding a resistor as an option. I am not electrically inclined but it sure sounded good! Is a PIWIS the only option for a scanner to code out?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:08 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Some coding can be done with the Durametric pro, but a bit of a longshot if they have that particular software switch... You can give durametric a call and ask.

I would also be concerned that coding out the active mounts might actually mean coding out the Sport Chrono option, which might potentially eliminate some other functions like rev matching. My experience is that very few service writers or techs at dealerships are familiar with all the things that can be done with PIWIS, and even if they know it can be done, they don't know where in the extensive software tree the function is.

As for a resistor, possible but another longshot. The days that a simple resistor can trick a computer into thinking everything is hunky dory are pretty much gone. How do the active dampers work?

You could also very quickly go from bad to worse if a resistor fix ends up doing damage to the controllers or body computer because of too much current or whatever.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:11 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

...actually, this web page might give some insight on how the active mounts work if anyone is interested.

Looks like they are ferro-fluid. A magnetic field increases the viscosity of the fluid inside the mount and makes it "stiffer" as it is harder to shove through a small valve orifice.

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tec...-trans-mounts/

Note that their estimate of how expensive the mounts are is WAY off!

MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL MOUNTS
Another spin on the active mount concept was developed recently by Delphi. Well-known for their magneto rheological (MR) shock absorbers on Corvettes, Delphi has applied the same idea to their next generation of active motor mounts. Magneto rheological fluids contain small particles of iron suspended in liquid. When an electric current or magnetic field is applied to the fluid, the iron particles line up and effectively increase the viscosity of the fluid. In a shock absorber, this has the effect of increasing resistance and stiffening the dampening action of the shock for a firmer ride. The same approach also works in a motor mount. The first such application for the new MR mounts was the 2010 Porsche 911 GT3 supercar (doubt you’ll see many of those in your shop!).

The stiffness of the MR motor mounts can be adjusted in real time to match the dampening requirements of the engine as speed and load change. The system requires a microprocessor and data inputs that are already available to the powertrain control module. It also uses a fluid pressure sensor within the active mounts to provide feedback so the controller can compensate for changes as they occur.

The bottom line here is that motor mounts have become yet another high tech electronic component. Diagnosis is more complicated and may require special scan tool software (depending on the application), and repairs will be far more expensive that most motorists expect. We’re talking mounts that can cost $150 to $200 or more to replace — plus installation labor. So you want to make sure you’ve done your diagnosis correctly before replacing one of these high tech mounts.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:30 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Is there is another option..........ignore the error code?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I'm just speculating at this point... Might be worth trying to find someone who really knows.

Sounds like you are in Colorado (I'm guessing Telluride from the distance to Co Springs). I don't know the guys in Co Springs, but maybe call Stevinson Porsche in Littleton and talk to Geoff (service writer) and/or Chance (Mechanic). Chance is one of the few dealership mechanics I would trust, and they might have some insight as to wether you could code out the active engine mounts with PIWIS and not screw anything else up...
Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I'm just speculating at this point... Might be worth trying to find someone who really knows.

Sounds like you are in Colorado (I'm guessing Telluride from the distance to Co Springs). I don't know the guys in Co Springs, but maybe call Stevinson Porsche in Littleton and talk to Geoff (service writer) and/or Chance (Mechanic). Chance is one of the few dealership mechanics I would trust, and they might have some insight as to wether you could code out the active engine mounts with PIWIS and not screw anything else up...
Thanks. I'm actually in Durango. I've worked with Chance before on my 997.2 GT3RS for an engine out. Great tech. I'll give him a call.
Can't believe i'm the only one who has had this issue. Seems like I've got to go with this on my own and report back so others won't need to go through this.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Just spoke with Geoff and Geoff spoke with Chance. Bottom line, they've never done the conversion. They think it is possible to code out the fault however they do not know what else might be affected.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Some coding can be done with the Durametric pro, but a bit of a longshot if they have that particular software switch... You can give durametric a call and ask.
Have had a look at @floatingkiwi's Durametric reference list, and can't see the option there, but that doesn't mean it's not - it may be that it doesn't appear unless you're loading it with a 997.2 profile (both floatingkiwi and I have 997.1 so can't check).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 10-07-2020, 05:04 PM
Kraig Strom
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm new to this thread. I just replaced the driverside PADM mount at my dealer. They took great care of me but it was still $painful$. Has anyone heard of someone rebuilding PADM mounts? Mine apparently has an internal short circuit.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:11 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 289 Posts

On a 991.1, we had both fail with two weeks at 49K miles. They were covered with the CPO, but doubt I would do the same out of warranty. With the number of failures, you would think Porsche knows they have an issue, but nothing has been published of course.

Quick Reply: PADM Engine Mounts