997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upcoming Cross Country Drive Recommendations: North Carolina to California

Old 04-29-2019, 02:10 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Upcoming Cross Country Drive Recommendations: North Carolina to California

My prayers have been answered. After years of being stationed on the East Coast, I finally have my shot at enjoying sunny San Diego for 2-4 years. I will be traveling in my trusted Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, with my Ducati XDiavel S in the bed of the truck, and pulling an enclosed trailer with the Turbo in it. All my household goods are being moved by the military so all I will have with me are my vehicles, skydiving equipment, puppy, a few clothes, firearms, and plenty of gas money. A childhood friend of mine may come also since he has a few weeks off work. I will be taking approx. 14 days to make this trip, with another 1 or 2 days of slop built in.

So far my route is looking like this...
RON=Remain Over Night

-Depart Eastern NC 31 May, RON Asheville and explore Asheville 1 June. Looking at seeing the Biltmore estate again, anything else I should see or do in Asheville? Not a big drinker so don't care about breweries
-Depart Asheville 1 June night, RON Tapoco Lodge at the Tail of the Dragon. Enjoy the Tail on the bike and the car, as well as the Cherohala Skyway 2 June
-Depart Tail of the Dragon 2 June, RON Nashville. I have been to Nashville a few times, so not sure if I will actually do this portion, if I do I will skydive at one of the drop zones local to Nashville and get some Hattie B's chicken.
-Depart Nashville 3 June, RON Atlanta. I have a friend who works at Perimeter Porsche so will beg him for some test drives in cars I cant afford, and check out the Porsche Experience Center. For Atlanta I may take an extra day to drive some mountains in Northern Atlanta, so leave afternoon 5 June
-Depart Atlanta 5 June afternoon, make it to Barber Motorsports Park before they close and have a peak. Depart same day.
-Depart Birmingham 5 June, RON Pensacola. I have friends who are instructors at Navy/Marine Corps flight school here. Will hangout for 2 days
-Depart Pensacola 7 June, RON Dallas Texas. Little sister is stationed here, she's an Army officer at Ft. Worth and is about to deploy so I will be bringing her a fine bottle of tequila. A bunch of drop zones in the Dallas Area so will be trying to go to at least 2 of them
-Depart Dallas 9 June, RON Austin. I love Austin. Nuff said. Will probably try and ride/drive 3 Sisters or Twisted Sisters
-Depart Austin 10 June, RON Phoenix. Potential future ex-girlfriend just got a nursing job there so obviously want to say hi to her, and I have another friend in the area. Also a lot of cool drop zones.
-Depart Phoenix 11 June, RON Grand Canyon. Never been here, looking for recommendations of where to go and what to see.
-Depart GC 12 June, RON Vegas. Dude. It's Vegas, no explanation needed. The company that sends me all my parts for my motorcycles, Bellissimoto, is based there and the owners are close friends. Looking to ride, drive, and maybe shoot some guns.
-Depart Vegas 15 June, RON San Diego. New home. Shave-shower-put on my Alphas-check into my new command.

Things that I can cut out in order of easily cut out, to rather not cut out. In reality the only things I WANT to do are ride/drive and skydive. I have seen all of these cities east of Arizona, just wanted to say hello one more time.
-Asheville, Nashville, Pensacola, and 1 of the Vegas RONs.
I can also not go to Vegas at all, go from the GC to San Diego straight, and then the 15th night go back to Vegas after taking the car out of the trailer and dropping the truck/bike/puppy with my roommate in California.

I HAVE to be in San Diego by June 15, and I can possibly leave May 29/30. A lot of this driving will be late at night, which is fine since I will more than likely have a co-pilot helping me out. We will both be looking for gyms in the area to get a really quick 45-75 min workout in.

Let me know your thoughts!
Old 04-29-2019, 02:56 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Sounds like a good time.. looks like you'll be in my neck of the woods on June 8-9, shoot me a text ans we can see if we can hook up.

Also, you might X-post this to the OT forum, prob get more feedback on your travel plans over there..
Old 04-29-2019, 04:15 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Congrats...on the post and the trip, that is a real cross country bucket list...my only real thought is how are you going to do that in only 17 days? You must have the timeline discipline of a, well Marine officer. On a serious note, keep your head on a swivel on the Tail of the Dragon...I took a highly modded BMW S1000RR through there about 7 years ago and there were some real idiots out there. I did a couple passes and moved on...the High Banks of Daytona were much safer.

As for gyms, how about this? Our instructors at ITR (Infantry Training Regiment back in the day) used to call it The Lake (I have no idea why). 5 mile run, after 1st mile do 100 pushups, after 2nd mile do 100 mountain climbers, after 3rd mile do 50 bends and thrusts, after 4th mile do about a zillion leg lift variations until you are crying, lol, one of our instructors could do them all day long, and at the end of run a second set of 100 pushups, which will take considerably longer then the fist set at mile 1. You can scale to fit where you are in your fitness level and how hard you want to burst your heart. No Gym required.

Again congrats on getting to the west coast, I did a stint in 2/9 and 3/1 in the mid 70's when both were still at Pendleton. Every time I say Pendleton my mind immediately flashes to those hills/dunes at the beach...in full 782 gear that was a real Bitch.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 04-29-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:27 PM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Congrats...that is a real cross country bucket list...my only real thought is how are you going to do that in only 17 days? You must have the timeline discipline of a, well Marine officer. On a serious note, keep your head on a swivel on the Tail of the Dragon...I took a highly modded BMW S1000RR through there about 7 years ago and there were some real idiots out there. I did a couple passes and moved on...the High Banks of Daytona were much safer.
Have you seen the new S1000RR ///M Sport edition? Looks pretty badass...I had a BREN tuning flashed 2013 S1000RR with BMC air filter and Akrapovic Titanium Full system. She was a fun girl...IIRC the dyno had me at 188whp and 92 ft-lbs. My buddy that has the highly modded V4S may sell it before I have a chance to buy it sadly. If that's the case I will hold off on buying a superbike anytime soon since I will most likely be deploying overseas at the end of the year. There should be an update to the V4 in 2020...as well as the return of the highly coveted Streetfighter.

As of right now I am going to be there Sunday, I may adjust fire to be there Monday or both Sunday and Monday. The 3 times I have gone, were all during the week and I had the mountain to myself most of the time. Dragon trip is just for the cool pictures, but can be skipped if necessary. The Cherohala skyway is where I really have fun, long sweeping turns to easily get into the 3 digit speeds and some absolutely beautiful pull-offs to view the scenery.

The timing will have to work with minimal breaks for fuel and food, very quick workouts, only getting one jump if I decide to skydive, and sharing the driving responsibilities with my buddy coming with me.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:38 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
Have you seen the new S1000RR ///M Sport edition? Looks pretty badass...I had a BREN tuning flashed 2013 S1000RR with BMC air filter and Akrapovic Titanium Full system. She was a fun girl...IIRC the dyno had me at 188whp and 92 ft-lbs. My buddy that has the highly modded V4S may sell it before I have a chance to buy it sadly. If that's the case I will hold off on buying a superbike anytime soon since I will most likely be deploying overseas at the end of the year. There should be an update to the V4 in 2020...as well as the return of the highly coveted Streetfighter.

As of right now I am going to be there Sunday, I may adjust fire to be there Monday or both Sunday and Monday. The 3 times I have gone, were all during the week and I had the mountain to myself most of the time. Dragon trip is just for the cool pictures, but can be skipped if necessary. The Cherohala skyway is where I really have fun, long sweeping turns to easily get into the 3 digit speeds and some absolutely beautiful pull-offs to view the scenery.

The timing will have to work with minimal breaks for fuel and food, very quick workouts, only getting one jump if I decide to skydive, and sharing the driving responsibilities with my buddy coming with me.
Sounds like you are well prepped...yeah I did the dragon on a Saturday in the summer...it was crazy. As I had to give up my V4R reservation due to my neuro issues I have not been looking at go fast cars or scooters. I sold the P car and am not supposed to be driving but I do drive my jeep for short runs here in Cocoa Beach. No way I would feel comfortable with a 750 HP P car or even an OEM one for that matter, but if I stay seizure free thru July apparently I can get my license back. I have been thinking maybe a BMW 340i M Sport...civilized with just a bit of get up and go. Take care of yourself and Semper Fi.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:38 AM
jason95R
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like an amazing trip. Enjoy those 2 weeks and thank you for your service!
Old 04-30-2019, 12:34 PM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Sounds like you are well prepped...yeah I did the dragon on a Saturday in the summer...it was crazy. As I had to give up my V4R reservation due to my neuro issues I have not been looking at go fast cars or scooters. I sold the P car and am not supposed to be driving but I do drive my jeep for short runs here in Cocoa Beach. No way I would feel comfortable with a 750 HP P car or even an OEM one for that matter, but if I stay seizure free thru July apparently I can get my license back. I have been thinking maybe a BMW 340i M Sport...civilized with just a bit of get up and go. Take care of yourself and Semper Fi.
You misspelled Ducati Diavel 1260 S and BMW M2...or maybe a 981 Boxter Spyder? Whatever you chose, I am sure you will love it since you will be back behind the wheel. Praying for your speedy recovery with no issues!

Originally Posted by jason95R
Sounds like an amazing trip. Enjoy those 2 weeks and thank you for your service!
It should be!! I am very excited and thank you it is a pleasure

Originally Posted by saabin
^ Sounds like a good time.. looks like you'll be in my neck of the woods on June 8-9, shoot me a text ans we can see if we can hook up.

Also, you might X-post this to the OT forum, prob get more feedback on your travel plans over there..
Sounds good man I deff will. Might shift that a few days we will see.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Skydive Moab, probably the only place really worth going out of your way for or stopping at depending on your route.

Skydive Houston in Rosharon also has charm

Coolidge? Meh just another desert DZ but the ASO is very cool.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 PM
USNA12
Banned

New plan, to eliminate hours a day lost, my buddy is driving my truck with a small trailer for my motorcycle and a few other things. I will be driving my car. Convoy ops!

This will be about 4,000 miles when all is said and done. I am currently at 74,600 miles and my Fidelity Platinum Care is good until 103k miles or December 30 2020..this will help get to that mileage!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Congrats! Make sure you go to Rancho Sante Fe Cars and Coffee. Check out my friends E39 M5, in Silverstone with Ohio plates, or his 355.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:58 AM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Congrats! Make sure you go to Rancho Sante Fe Cars and Coffee. Check out my friends E39 M5, in Silverstone with Ohio plates, or his 355.
PM me his information! I may leave a few days earlier to take even more time to get out there would love to meet up, ESPECIALLY if I get seat time in the Beast(E39 M5) again.

Also my MPS4s have about 15k miles with the rear right tire recently plugged twice about to do an oil change prior to leaving, I really don't want to buy new tires just yet because I may pick up a set of HRE P40s during my drive and ill slap new ones on those. I think my tires will be shot by the time this trip ends...but as a motorcycle guy the only thing going on in my head is "the cheapest insurance you can buy is a good set of tires"

Anyone have a lightly used set of stock size MPS4s for sale haha?

Also putting new tires on my motorcycles so we can rip on those

For all who care at all, if you want to meet up and live close to my proposed route of flight, I would love to meet up. Even if its for a quick hello, a detour to some twistys, hell even a workout at your local gym would be ok. I'm not a big drinker and want to be able to wake up early to enjoy a crisp run and stretch with my puppy before getting back in the car. Send me a message with your number and full name and ill save it/text you tonight.

LESS THAN THIRTY DAYS!!!!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Diggin' the updates!

Originally Posted by Bxstr
RSF Cars and Coffee is pretty solid - was just out there this last weekend, just a few minutes up the road from my house (which sadly isn't in RSF haha).
Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by gsxrjjordan
Diggin' the updates!

RSF Cars and Coffee is pretty solid - was just out there this last weekend, just a few minutes up the road from my house (which sadly isn't in RSF haha).
Hey Jordan, send me a message with your number I was going to text you about some work I wanted to get done to the XDiavel S and the Turbo. XDiavel is some basic powdercoating of parts, and getting the tank repainted 2tone brushed aluminum and black. Car will be needing 1300cc injectors, 5.0 bar FPR, new plugs (changed at 60k miles) and maybe new ignition coils?(also done at 60k miles in oct 2017). If you can think of anything else I should do while "in there" or if anyone else can, let me know! Need a connection I can actually trust with my toys since I will be gone in Maryland for a course from mid July to mid September. Perfect time to get all the work done.

Also, any desire for a Streetfighter so I can finally buy a V4S ?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:31 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Ashville - a fantastic Grand Bohemian Hotel ... near the entrance to the Biltmore. Not much else probably for you. The same folks did a Grand Bohemian plan shopping area very similar in Birmingham and that's where Porsche puts you up if you do the Barber motor driving school. There's a zoo right across the street similar to the set up in front of the Biltmore.
Nashville - Stay downtown and drop in the country music hall of fame, and the Johnny Cash museum, might be something at the Bridgestone arena next door - check the schedule. Lots of good food in that area
Dallas - head down to Katy trail for good food and drink, great atmosphere. Austin - get you pic by the Stevie Ray Vaughan statue and find a good club show on Texas' music row.

Now you're on you own ... I don't venture over to the other side of the country, lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upcoming Cross Country Drive Recommendations: North Carolina to California