Sponsored by:

O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:28 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default O2 sensors

I want to replace the o2 sensors on my 2008 turbo. I’m really focusing on the “before cat” sensors. Has anyone bought the non OEM sensors and had problems? I will buy the OEM if the response here is that I should, but if I don’t have to, I could save on the cost. TIA.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

O2 or Lambda sensors are pretty universal made by Bosch. So, ive seen some with 2, or 3 wires or just a connector on the other end. They are usually good for 100k miles. Are you replacing them because they are carboned up? You’ll pay triple the price if thru Porsche dealer for the same one at say a Napa store. An average price for a Bosch universal one
is around $85. Just take off the ones you want to replace, go to a parts store and match them up.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:24 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

2 years ago I bought the "OEM equivalent" Bosch sensors for a 997.1TT, but upon receipt I found out that they were about 6" shorter than the Porsche-branded ones, and also lacked the high-temp silicone boot. I could have made them work with a little creative re-routing of the cable, but I elected to return them and buy the Porsche ones.

I took some side-by-side pics and made a post here on RL with the Bosch part numbers, but the IB search function really sux so I cant find it now.

Again, this was 2 years ago, so maybe it got figured out, so YMMV.

Porsche ones are a little over $200 each, so yeah, there is a decent delta for the generic OEM and Porsche ones..

EDIT: used google and found a few links..

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...el-help-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-question.html
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Bosch aftermarket have no issues. The length is right and have the protective cover not sure what saabin got but I have zero issue with mine
Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
I have the Bosch aftermarket have no issues. The length is right and have the protective cover not sure what saabin got but I have zero issue with mine
Ditto - I have the Bosch (an OEM supplier) and there are/were no issues. Cable length and wires heat sheaths were on the money. Before cat O2's were $177/each and after cat O2's were $68/each. I'm sure you have reasons for not changing all four, but if you're going to change two, I don't see any reason to refrain from changing all four. Tip: Soak the O2's overnight with liquid wrench or equivalent, and buy or rent the correct O2 sensor socket. Your open end wrenches will round off the corners.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I want to replace the o2 sensors on my 2008 turbo. I’m really focusing on the “before cat” sensors. Has anyone bought the non OEM sensors and had problems? I will buy the OEM if the response here is that I should, but if I don’t have to, I could save on the cost. TIA.
I recently replaced the before and after cat sensors on my 7.2TTS. I found the best pricing at RMEuropean. I have no affiliation just a satisfied customer.
PS...if you think the original sensors are in your 2008 car I would replace all 4.
Bill

Quick Reply: O2 sensors