Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about starting with a manual

Old 04-21-2019, 01:59 AM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Question about starting with a manual

I have an Autoblip installed in my car. Today while out for a morning run the Autoblip stopped working and reported (via indicator light) that my clutch was continuously engaged. I thought maybe something was wrong with the Autoblip so I checked the voltages. The bottom clutch sensor circuit was reading zero volts and not changing when I depressed the clutch, so it seemed the Autoblip was not the issue.

I then tried to start my car in neutral without the clutch depressed and it started right up. Is this normal? Do you normally need to have the clutch depressed to start? Seems my car is reporting the clutch is engaged? Seems weird the switch would fail and still let me start the car...

Last edited by skyak; 04-21-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:38 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes the clutch normally needs to be in to start the car, so it appears your switch has failed such that it shows the clutch always pressed (disengaged).
Old 04-21-2019, 06:47 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by skyak
I have an Autoblip installed in my car. Today while out for a morning run the Autoblip stopped working and reported (via indicator light) that my clutch was continuously engaged. I thought maybe something was wrong with the Autoblip so I checked the voltages. The bottom clutch sensor circuit was reading zero volts and not changing when I depressed the clutch, so it seemed the Autoblip was not the issue.

I then tried to start my car in neutral without the clutch depressed and it started right up. Is this normal? Do you normally need to have the clutch depressed to start? Seems my car is reporting the clutch is engaged? Seems weird the switch would fail and still let me start the car...
Cool...you defeated the Nanny state and now it is up to you to not start your car while in gear....just like the old days.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 AM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Ya just puzzling that it would fail in a way that allows me to start. I guess the switch is normally in the closed state and depressing the clutch opens it....?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:11 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Update: replaced the switch and all working as it should again.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Glad everything is working and I had never heard of this product, looks pretty cool.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:25 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I know it's fixed, but just for others reviewing the thread.... The clutch switches are *continuity* switch, normally open, closed when clutch in.

Check the switch by looking at resistance, not voltage.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:47 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I know it's fixed, but just for others reviewing the thread.... The clutch switches are *continuity* switch, normally open, closed when clutch in.

Check the switch by looking at resistance, not voltage.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:49 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Glad everything is working and I had never heard of this product, looks pretty cool.
Love the Autoblip. Total riot to use.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:30 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Cool...you defeated the Nanny state and now it is up to you to not start your car while in gear....just like the old days.
Be careful what you wish for. We had a rental car many years back and wife takes keys to go out to car and get it warmed up from the passenger seat. Car was left in gear and when she turned the key, the car lurched into a 4" steel pole..... $2000 later. Sigh.....
Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM
JSF721
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this at 17 years old. My Dad has a 300zx. Manual.

Cleaned it up for a date and went out to start it by leaning in the window. Turned the key not knowing he left it in gear. Right through the garage up to the drivers mirror.

Lesson learned. It’s funny looking back but at the time terrifying.

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Be careful what you wish for. We had a rental car many years back and wife takes keys to go out to car and get it warmed up from the passenger seat. Car was left in gear and when she turned the key, the car lurched into a 4" steel pole..... $2000 later. Sigh.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about starting with a manual