Sponsored by:

Batteries - Stock Lead Acid vs. Lithium

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 PM
MachZ990
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries - Stock Lead Acid vs. Lithium

I decided to start a separate thread on battery discussion instead of jumping into someone’s existing conversation. I am shopping for a replacement battery for my 997.2 TTS. Initially I thought I could update to the new OEM AGM battery that comes in late model Porsche’s but I was told it won’t fit the tray. Then I stumbled across the Lithium battery sold by AntiGravity (site sponsor) as a direct replacement. Their latest batteries come in the H6/Group 48 case and are a direct fit for most Porsche 911’s.

Porsche’s aren’t cheap and they could put any battery technology in their cars from the factory. They are still using lead-acid or AGM batteries. The biggest selling points for Lithium batteries are a significant weight savings (about 40 pounds) and more cycle life.

What are are the pros and cons to using one of these Lithium Ion batteries? One for sure is cost. They are around $750 from AntiGravity vs. about $400 for an OEM lead-acid battery. Removing 40+ pounds permanently from the car seems like a win. Lithium isn’t well suited for extreme cold climates but my car is stored in a heated garage during the winter.

Looking for for input from anyone using a Lithium battery and any reasons why it would or wouldn’t be recommended.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Back to AGMs - I thought this battery from Pepboys should be a fit and a bargain.

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platin...900a30a1c0e11#
Old 04-15-2019, 12:29 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I've never priced Lithium ones, but I think a better cost comparison would be to a ~$120 Interstate lead acid or a slightly more $ AGM battery.. I dont know of anyone that spends $400 for the crappy Moll OEM battery.. Heck, even our dealer here uses Interstate becuase the Moll one's crap out too often.

THe weight savings would be great, but not sure I'd spend $750 for one..
Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Drink less beer, more than 40lbs there to save I'm sure.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Went to a slightly larger Duracell AGM from Sams club, the hold down has adjustment and it fit the tray.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:09 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I love my Voltphreaks lithium battery. Best thing is no more need for a tender.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Flewis763
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are a nice in between. Save 30lb over stock but not break the bank.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Braille-Batte...B3121/10002/-1
Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by MachZ990
I decided to start a separate thread on battery discussion instead of jumping into someone’s existing conversation. I am shopping for a replacement battery for my 997.2 TTS. Initially I thought I could update to the new OEM AGM battery that comes in late model Porsche’s but I was told it won’t fit the tray. Then I stumbled across the Lithium battery sold by AntiGravity (site sponsor) as a direct replacement. Their latest batteries come in the H6/Group 48 case and are a direct fit for most Porsche 911’s.

Porsche’s aren’t cheap and they could put any battery technology in their cars from the factory. They are still using lead-acid or AGM batteries. The biggest selling points for Lithium batteries are a significant weight savings (about 40 pounds) and more cycle life.

What are are the pros and cons to using one of these Lithium Ion batteries? One for sure is cost. They are around $750 from AntiGravity vs. about $400 for an OEM lead-acid battery. Removing 40+ pounds permanently from the car seems like a win. Lithium isn’t well suited for extreme cold climates but my car is stored in a heated garage during the winter.

Looking for for input from anyone using a Lithium battery and any reasons why it would or wouldn’t be recommended.
I'll give you the straight answer on this. Though we are a site sponsor... I'm not trying to PUSH lithium as the best thing since sliced bread. It definitely has it applications, and some may or may not find it beneficial for their needs.

Benefits of Lithium vs Lead.

Lithium is exceptionally lightweight as you stated roughly 35 to 40lbs weight loss swapping the battery.

Better Cranking Power over Lead Acid roughly twice the cranking power.

Longer Lifecycle. For example Lead/Acid is rated at 750 to 1000 cycles.... Lithium is rated at 200-2500 cycles. So about a theorhetic 2x and longer life span. about 8 years.

Our Lithium Batteries offer built-in Jump Starting... so if you even left the light on, went away on vacation and came back to a dead battery all you do is push the button on the remote keyfob, start the car and drive away you won't be stranded by a dead battery. This also mean you won't get locked out a frunk.

OUr particular Lithium Battery has an onboard Battery management system that prevents over-discharge or over-charge... so the battery can't be put in the position over-discharge like a Lead/Acid battery. This is the leading cause of damage to any battery. But with our Lithium the BMS prevents that as well as having other productions like short circuit protection if you accidentally drop a wrech across the terminals.

No off gassing during charging... this only applies to Flooded Lead Acid batteries and others with venting during charging Lithium there is not worries about it.

35 to 40 lbs of weight is a massive weight loss by any standard. So if you really want to make your car handle or perform a bit better this is by far the least expensive weight loss, and best bang for buck of any weight loss products.

Lithium Vs Lead Cons.

Lithium is much more expensive. over twice the cost of Lead/Acid.... this can be offeset by a longer life, or lithium features.. but the entry cost of lithium is much higher.

More real amp hours with Lead Acid. If you have alot of accessories and want to store the car a long time and it has a slow parasitic discharge... then lead can sit a month or so longer than lithium because it has twice the actual amp hours.

Better Extreme Cold starting. Lead/Acid offers better starting in very cold weather in the 30s and below and daily driving in that environment. So if you are in snow during the winter lead it the better option.

If you plan on putting the Lithium Battery on a Charger you need a specific Lithium Battery Charger. Those range from $60 to $120 dollars. But in the Car the Lithium Charger perfectly fine. It just on stand alone chargers you want the lithium version.

That a basic over view and cover the main differences.
The following users liked this post:
Nate Tempest (12-21-2021)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 PM
gedwin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Is there an update on the arrival of the 30h version of the Antigravity? Last was mid to late April.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gedwin
Is there an update on the arrival of the 30h version of the Antigravity? Last was mid to late April.
Yes, the issues was I sort of blew it... meaning I was specing the 30Ah packs... then had a revelation that we needed the shape of the pack different so we can fit it into some of the OTHER models we are making, and to fit in some new ideas we have.... So I had to change it, which requires a completely new tooling for Lithium Cells to change the size of them.For example if I made the 30Ah in the original size and that means it would not fit into our Group 51 Case that is used in the Nissan GTRs.... so that would not be cost effective to make 2 different size 30Amp Hour Packs. So I redesigned the cell pack so it can fit in MORE different sized Cases. Sorry for that delay.

So it kicked it back the production of the 30Ah Models another 5-6 more weeks....
Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM
gedwin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Yes, the issues was I sort of blew it... meaning I was specing the 30Ah packs... then had a revelation that we needed the shape of the pack different so we can fit it into some of the OTHER models we are making, and to fit in some new ideas we have.... So I had to change it, which requires a completely new tooling for Lithium Cells to change the size of them.For example if I made the 30Ah in the original size and that means it would not fit into our Group 51 Case that is used in the Nissan GTRs.... so that would not be cost effective to make 2 different size 30Amp Hour Packs. So I redesigned the cell pack so it can fit in MORE different sized Cases. Sorry for that delay.

So it kicked it back the production of the 30Ah Models another 5-6 more weeks....
So...What are we talking? Mid June?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm hoping late May early June actually...
Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 03:56 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 294 Posts

sent you a message, check your PM

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I'm hoping late May early June actually...
Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by markmark26
sent you a message, check your PM
Got it responded, send me an email today please and we'll get you squared up and shipped by tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Flewis763
These are a nice in between. Save 30lb over stock but not break the bank.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Braille-Batte...B3121/10002/-1
how well does this one mount in the car? Are you using a better tender on it?

Quick Reply: Batteries - Stock Lead Acid vs. Lithium