Sponsored by:

997.1 Turbo MT vs 997.2 Turbo DCT

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 12:04 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 997.1 Turbo MT vs 997.2 Turbo DCT

Hello guys, posted this on the 997 forum but a member suggested I do so here as well..

Been looking for a weekend roadster (Cab), did some research on 911s and their quirks.

Came down to these two that fit the bill, but have some questions remaining:
It would be awesome if you guys could share your experience.

1. Engine: 997.1 with one of the last Mezger engines is arguably a bit more special, but what about the reliability vs.997.2?
Both are around 50K km (32,000 miles).

2. Does MT have hill assist? How long does the clutch last under normal (mostly city) driving conditions?
I regularly track M3s but I have never driven a high torque AWD MT.

3. PCCB vs. steel brakes. Almost all Turbo models in my region have PCCB fit standard.

4. Anything else I should watch out (LSD, powertrain) when inspecting one of these?

Thank you.

Last edited by s85b50; 04-13-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I am in no way an expert but my best understanding is the new engines are just as robust as the Mezger. Those guys in Turkey/Bahrain did a sub 9 sec 1/4 mile with this engine.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...-racing-sound/

Most p-philes want the MT and think it will be worth more but I think a PDK is like a class upgrade and for the most part from what I can tell at the limits of good / great driving a PDK is almost obligatory for record setting and winning.

PCCBs are beyond belief. Going back to 'standard' Porsche brakes like a Carrera S they (the S) feel slippery and unresponsive. I know this isn't the case but the PCCBs are a whole other world.

Center locks - don't be afraid. Almost any bad flat or sidewall and you're flat bedding either way

Cab - most will dis the cab option because it 'flexes' but right now PDKs and Cabs will save you money and if you're not racing then a cab has more than enough stiffness and probably does for racing.

The real deciding point should be condition. I drove 2 997.2 Turbo S's in December the 19k mile one had been run ragged and felt like it was about to fall apart. The nearly 40,000 mile one felt as tight as my 10,000 mile one. You're buying the previous owners as much as you're buying the car.

I wouldn't buy unless I drove them and I wouldn't own without a Fidelity Warranty. I can wrench but these are complicated and expensive cars to fix and own.

Last edited by MexicoBlueTurboS; 04-13-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:18 PM
s85b50
Racer

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I am in no way an expert but my best understanding is the new engines are just as robust as the Mezger. Those guys in Turkey/Bahrain did a sub 9 sec 1/4 mile with this engine.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...-racing-sound/

Most p-philes want the MT and think it will be worth more but I think a PDK is like a class upgrade and for the most part from what I can tell at the limits of good / great driving a PDK is almost obligatory for record setting and winning.

PCCBs are beyond belief. Going back to 'standard' Porsche brakes like a Carrera S they (the S) feel slippery and unresponsive. I know this isn't the case but the PCCBs are a whole other world.

Center locks - don't be afraid. Almost any bad flat or sidewall and you're flat bedding either way

Cab - most will dis the cab option because it 'flexes' but right now PDKs and Cabs will save you money and if you're not racing then a cab has more than enough stiffness and probably does for racing.

The real deciding point should be condition. I drove 2 997.2 Turbo S's in December the 19k mile one had been run ragged and felt like it was about to fall apart. The nearly 40,000 mile one felt as tight as my 10,000 mile one. You're buying the previous owners as much as you're buying the car.

I wouldn't buy unless I drove them and I wouldn't own without a Fidelity Warranty. I can wrench but these are complicated and expensive cars to fix and own.
Thank you for the detailed response.

Towing would be much easier with MT

With regards to being a cabriolet, I feel that 911 Turbos are more about driving experience rather than an all-out race car.
I would go for GT3 in that case. That given, I am curious whether such small chassis can reliably take near 700nm of torque..
Old 04-13-2019, 07:34 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s85b50
I am curious whether such small chassis can reliably take near 700nm of torque..
First rule of Porsche club. Never question the Porsche gods.

If these cats are doing 8 sec 1/4 miles - you'll be fine.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:12 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by s85b50
Thank you for the detailed response.

Towing would be much easier with MT

With regards to being a cabriolet, I feel that 911 Turbos are more about driving experience rather than an all-out race car.
I would go for GT3 in that case. That given, I am curious whether such small chassis can reliably take near 700nm of torque..
you hit the nail on the head about the Turbo being about enjoying the experience instead of racing.... I have a .2 MT cab and absolutely love it.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 AM
6Mezger
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

For some reason there are scores of Rennlisters that will state their preference for coupes over cabs, regardless of what the post is about. You’re absolutely right about the GT3 if you want a track car. I have a MT Mezger cab and there is nothing like driving it top down on PCH in any direction with my bride by my side. I have zero use for a coupe!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

I had a 997.1 Turbo cabriolet with a manual transmission and PCCBs. It was a wonderful car. My thoughts on your questions are as follows:

1. The last Mezger engine is kind of cool to a few hundred people on Rennlist. Aside from that, does it really matter for a weekend roadster? Does impact the enjoyment of owning the car, positively or negatively? No.
2. Hill assist wasn’t offered on the 997.1.
3. PCCB is a fantastic option. I don’t plan to buy another Porsche without it.
4. There are a few potential issues with the 997.1 engines. The most common seems to be the coolant pipes needing replacement, and pinning or welding. This is an expensive repair that requires the engine to be removed for service. It seems to be more prevalent in the 2007 cars.

There are are a few other things to consider. The first is simply: do you want a manual transmission? If so, then go that way. You can find it in 997.2 cars, but it’s more difficult due to lower production volumes. That said, PDK is excellent, and you might consider driving one before you decide. Additionally, the 997.1 cars with a manual transmission have a clutch that’s difficult to modulate. I’ve driven manual cars all my life, and I found the 997.1 turbo clutch to be the most difficult and frustrating to operate of all.

There are other upgrades in the 997.2 cars that may or may not appeal to you. These include LED tail lights and DRLs, updated electronics, optional ventilated seats, optional center lock wheels, etc.

Either choice would make an excellent weekend cruiser, but there are some subtle differences to consider.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carlos4S
I've been rowing gears since I got my license at age 14, but PDK is a whole different ballgame. I feel like I have a telepathic connection with the car.
Both will definitely bring you to a stop. Steel rotors are far cheaper, but I LOVE the PCCBs: great bite, easy to modulate, and I don't expect I'll have to replace the rotors. Ever.
Carlos said 2 brilliant things here. Maybe more. Here's a point - if you're worried about 'hill assist' (I didn't even know WTF that is) you're probably not a guy like Carlos or I that can drive a stick in San Francisco while eating dumplings and serving hot tea. So PDK again. Toughest situation I've ever had with a stick - getting a large Passat wagon out of the narrow and steep slopes of a 3 level Paris hotel parking garage. All european parking spots are made for Messerschmitts.

Yes - telepathic is the word. I don't know what or how Porsche did with this transmission but the more you drive it - the more it seems to know what you're going to do. It seems to understand best where it needs to be and does it before you as a driver even recognize there's an issue. A short test drive won't do it. It happens over time and you will be more and more impressed over time. Where the tediousness of any MT may grind on you over time.

PCCBs ruin every other brake you ever felt/touched/experienced. Just on brake dust alone I am a buyer.

Double check Petzas post in the 997 forum on this same thread.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:54 AM
s85b50
Racer

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Carlos said 2 brilliant things here. Maybe more. Here's a point - if you're worried about 'hill assist' (I didn't even know WTF that is) you're probably not a guy like Carlos or I that can drive a stick in San Francisco while eating dumplings and serving hot tea. So PDK again. Toughest situation I've ever had with a stick - getting a large Passat wagon out of the narrow and steep slopes of a 3 level Paris hotel parking garage. All european parking spots are made for Messerschmitts.

Yes - telepathic is the word. I don't know what or how Porsche did with this transmission but the more you drive it - the more it seems to know what you're going to do. It seems to understand best where it needs to be and does it before you as a driver even recognize there's an issue. A short test drive won't do it. It happens over time and you will be more and more impressed over time. Where the tediousness of any MT may grind on you over time.

PCCBs ruin every other brake you ever felt/touched/experienced. Just on brake dust alone I am a buyer.

Double check Petzas post in the 997 forum on this same thread.
I have no problem using the handbrake to launch, but it is one of those things that make my life easier..
On my M3 I press clutch and brake and the car will hold for 3 sec before it rolls back. I do like the PDK as well so it's a tough choice.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts

My Wife and I love our 997.1 MT Cab. It's the perfect blend of speed and comfort, not to mention the kids can go in the back. The car is 10 years old so it's basically done depreciating so we can just drive and enjoy. Except when it rains, we don't want it to melt lol J/K.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

997.2 TTS (PDK) FTW!!!!!!!!

You can thank me later....

End post....

David
Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's too bad they didn't make a 997.1TT with a PDK, that would have been an interesting choice.

Dan

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo MT vs 997.2 Turbo DCT