Sponsored by:

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need some advice

I posted this in the 997 NA forum but I figured I would check in with turbo owners as well. I recently saw this post on Craigslist. I texted back and forth with the owner. It's a Chicago car, third owner, clean CarFax and history, current owner bought it back in April of 2015 with 21k miles. PPI when he bought it came back clean, no rust or corrosion, rear brakes replaced recently.

I currently have a 997 C4S (manual, aero front bumper, turbo rear decklid, TechArt wheels, PASM, PSE, full leather, 22k on the odometer) and I'm just looking for opinions from whoever wants to share some constructive advice. The owner is open to negotiations on the price, but I don't know if there are any red flags or things that would make me say no.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd be curious if the clutch was replaced, else it will go around 50k. Same with the coolant pipes. They start to leak at 50-70k.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

It only has 26k miles, so I doubt it was changed
Old 04-04-2019, 11:42 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
It only has 26k miles, so I doubt it was changed
Ok, Depending on how much you drive, the clutch will obviously be the most variable. The coolant pipes WILL start to leak. Its not a negotiating tool, you will need to address them at some point. Otherwise if it passes the PPI you can't go wrong. The price is right, a manual usually commands ~15k premium over autos.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:26 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Seems high to me. MAYBE you could get 80K if it were completely stock, but don't think so with those mods, plus no adaptive seats and no sport chrono (can't tell for sure if it has it or now, pics arent that great)
Most things seem to be more expensive on the island..

My 2cents.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:46 AM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
Seems high to me. MAYBE you could get 80K if it were completely stock, but don't think so with those mods, plus no adaptive seats and no sport chrono (can't tell for sure if it has it or now, pics arent that great)
Most things seem to be more expensive on the island..

My 2cents.
Thanks. While speaking with the current owner, it does have adaptive sport seats and PASM, but no Sport Chrono. I would expect to pay $80k if it were stock with those miles, but the interior is a dark navy blue and I'm not a van of the wheels.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:41 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
Thanks. While speaking with the current owner, it does have adaptive sport seats and PASM, but no Sport Chrono. I would expect to pay $80k if it were stock with those miles, but the interior is a dark navy blue and I'm not a van of the wheels.
Don't get what you don't love! If you haven't already I'd get the VIN and check carfax. There are options currently out there though. Check out the TOY BARN in Dublin OH. They had a nice GT Silver '08 Manual with like 35k miles, 2 owner car, Sport Chrono and Adaptive for less than $80k.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:35 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree on the surface level that car seems doable at the right price -- I know there's an Island pricing delta. I would also suggest inquiring about the OE parts, and personally I'd probably walk or at least lower my offer significantly if the original parts are not included.

Interesting that the radiators were replaced...may have been a front-end 'incident'?

Quick Reply: Need some advice