997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 tt with problems!! turbo rot?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick update, not managed to sort this yet. Im going to strip it down starting on tuesday so will update as soon as I have. I have ordered new top mounts as the front Left one seems goosed! Thanks rabbitstew for the heads up on that.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:05 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

@ Mike Billings, yes it is plugged in. I am suspecting it could be from a boost leak? the fact that the turbo on that side has a hole in from corrosion cant be helping, so Im going to get it all off this week, either get new turbos or get mine rebuilt and see from there. How long does it take to get the engine out on one of these for a first time? Im going to buy a scissor lift as I just dont fancy doing it on jack stands if I have to go that route. I have head about 4 hours ish? maybe 6 for a first time and if there is any rusty bolts etc, but the exhaust has been off and new bolts so that part should be quick anyway.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:06 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLR997
Any update on the sensor issues? I just bought a 997TT and now its delivered I have no boost and a P0238 error. Could the MAF sensor be the issue?
Sounds like a big boost leak to me. I would get it pressure tested and go from there
Old 04-21-2019, 02:30 AM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theanalyst
Sounds like a big boost leak to me. I would get it pressure tested and go from there
Spoken to the dealer and its going to the local Porsche service centre on Tuesday. They had the engine out twice prior to the purchase looking to resolve a coolant leak, so hoping its just a simple issue resulting from that.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLR997
Spoken to the dealer and its going to the local Porsche service centre on Tuesday. They had the engine out twice prior to the purchase looking to resolve a coolant leak, so hoping its just a simple issue resulting from that.
Did they manage to sort it?

As an update to my issues , Im taking the engine out next week, have a new pair of VVT turbos complete to fit, check everything over while it is out. Going to replace plugs and coils. I can't fit the turbos without removing the engine because the coil and oil lines are heat/corrosion welded into the turbo and I just cannot get the side coolant pipes out. I think I will end up having to cut them off. My only other thought is to cut the turbos off them when they are out of the car, as the turbos are scrap anyway.

Have you ever had this Kevin ? also is there anything I should really really change while its out?!!!

I was thinking of rebonding and pinning the coolant pipes, apart from that I guess I just need to look it all over. Water pump is a possible candidate to replace but seeing as it can be done engine in, I am not sure if needed as it works fine.

Many Thanks
Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 PM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theanalyst
Did they manage to sort it?

As an update to my issues , Im taking the engine out next week, have a new pair of VVT turbos complete to fit, check everything over while it is out. Going to replace plugs and coils. I can't fit the turbos without removing the engine because the coil and oil lines are heat/corrosion welded into the turbo and I just cannot get the side coolant pipes out. I think I will end up having to cut them off. My only other thought is to cut the turbos off them when they are out of the car, as the turbos are scrap anyway.

Have you ever had this Kevin ? also is there anything I should really really change while its out?!!!

I was thinking of rebonding and pinning the coolant pipes, apart from that I guess I just need to look it all over. Water pump is a possible candidate to replace but seeing as it can be done engine in, I am not sure if needed as it works fine.

Many Thanks
All good, previous shop had not connected the MAP sensor correctly, it looked secured but wasn't. Practically all the issues went away. Still not producing as much boost or as early as others here so will have them further test when its serviced in a couple weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1 tt with problems!! turbo rot?