Sponsored by:

Creaky cab doors & windows that won't always go up

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:30 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Creaky cab doors & windows that won't always go up

PSA for anyone with creaky doors when the convertible top is down. After trying some lube on the seals to no avail, I realized the issue that was causing my passenger door to squeak and creak when the roof was down. I think this was also what was causing the window to sometimes bounce off the top and roll back down after raising the top. (I'd tried the re-learning method of holding the up switch down for several seconds after raising the window, and it helped somewhat, but didn't fix that problem completely.)

Problem was, the door latch adjustment was slightly off, causing the door not to close as tightly as it should. Once I thought to look for it, I could see that the rear of the door was about 1mm proud compared to the rear panel. This allowed the seals to rub against each other when going over bumps, because they weren't pressed as tightly together. It also meant that when the window reached the top of its travel, it was very slightly out of alignment with the groove in the molding, which would explain why it sometimes triggered a safety reversal.

Fortunately adjusting the door latch / striker is extremely simple. Just loosen the two star bolts holding the door striker (the metal loop) to the body. (Just loosen them; don't remove.) Then you can slide the striker slightly inward (assuming your door was too loose, like mine), and re-tighten. Squeaking is gone, and so far I haven't had another issue with the window either.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:33 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Which one was giving you trouble? The drivers or passengers?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:25 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TBarrow
Which one was giving you trouble? The drivers or passengers?
Mostly the passenger's, although I adjusted the driver's side by a hair too. Why?
Old 03-22-2019, 11:09 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Mostly the passenger's, although I adjusted the driver's side by a hair too. Why?
My passenger side is doing it as well. 2012 White Turbo Cab...
Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

The window closing issue, or the creaking? See if the door is completely flush with the rear quarter panel when it's closed. If it's raised at all, then adjusting the striker should help.

If the door appears perfectly flush and you're getting window issues, but not creaking, try resetting the window by holding up on the switch for several seconds (I've read anything from 3 to 30; not sure how long is actually needed) after the window is closed.

Quick Reply: Creaky cab doors & windows that won't always go up