Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermitent steering dead spot while driving. Please help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It is time to get the torque wrench out and check every joint affected by the spring change. I do not trust any mechanic when it comes to bolting on critical parts as most will randomly tighten joints using a ratchet or a horrible impact wrench. There is a reason that the manufacturers do extensive testing to determine the proper torque and then monitor critical joints during the assembly process!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Wow. I have not seen that before.

I don't think the bolts for Porsche are torque to yield/one time use except for the brake calipers. Maybe someone else can chime in.

As Rob32Ford suggested, either do it yourself or get it to a good alignment shop that will torque all of your suspension bolts to proper specs, and then have them re-align it.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob32Ford
It is time to get the torque wrench out and check every joint affected by the spring change. I do not trust any mechanic when it comes to bolting on critical parts as most will randomly tighten joints using a ratchet or a horrible impact wrench. There is a reason that the manufacturers do extensive testing to determine the proper torque and then monitor critical joints during the assembly process!

oh if you only knew what happened in shops/dealerships.

Yes every bolt on a car has a torque spec but in the real world you are not going to be torquing every single bolt you touch.

Most likely what happened is they did not tighten the bolt enough and had the suspension hanging so when the vehicle was put on the ground bolt twisted back and over time came loose.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Prior to my engineering career I worked in several dealerships and repair shops for summer jobs. I have seen some scary stuff. Mechanics would work on several cars at a time, which, for example, resulted in a car being started without an oil filer. They would lose track of what they did.

I also used to be a new/used car porter at several dealerships (BMW, Pontiac, etc) - I was the guy driving your car around!!! My 18 year old self had some fun! Same situation as a restaurant worker - you don't want to hear their stories.

I agree you may not torque every joint in the real world - but any critical joint should be torqued - especially on these cars that experience more spirited driving/loading!

Glad the op got his car home ok!

Last edited by Rob32Ford; 03-20-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:37 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Any updates on this?
Old 03-30-2019, 06:49 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Any updates on this?
the car was flatbedded to the shop. The missing bolt was actually found still in the front tray and reinstalled and tightened properly. The other side was also loose and was torqued properly. Was in for 48k mike service anyway so glad to get it all done.
No realignment necessary and the car is back and good to go. Just really glad that nothing happened considering what could have.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:13 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Wow! Same shop that did the springs? Glad they caught the other side and that you're all set.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:55 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Wow! Same shop that did the springs? Glad they caught the other side and that you're all set.
different shop for sure. But the one that originally did it is well respected

Quick Reply: Intermitent steering dead spot while driving. Please help diagnose