Sponsored by:

Looking for a Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha, small world.

I have a deposit on this car and am going to pick it up Saturday. Agreed on the two-tone cream/black interior, not my favorite thing about it, but I love Carrara White and I'm ok with a 'stripped' TTS haha. I think far too many original buyers went crazy with X options and inflated MSRP's don't seem to have much effect on resale. The only thing I really wish it had were yellow gauges and belts like the $109k example from Chicago on the forum now, but that's not a $25k problem to me.

I'll make sure to post if something falls through, and why.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 PM
Jeff Anderson
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting! I just spoke to the owner yesterday or the day before. Told him I would be back in touch Thursday and just today got a quote from the local dealer on a PPI.

He didn’t mention any of this to me.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

(Popcorn Time!!)

Oh it's Awkward......
Old 03-13-2019, 11:44 PM
floatingfish
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I just bought a 2011 997.2 Turbo S for $88,750 from a dealer in Portland. Has 38,000 miles. Looks like you are getting a good deal with yours being $800 cheaper and 9,000 fewer miles. Plus yours has PPF and radar detector. Mine is meteor gray with natural brown interior.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:49 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Gorgeous Car ^^^^

That's my second favorite color. No CL's but someone put some wheels on it that look like the RS Spyder wheels like mine (CL's). Looks great!

Do yourself a favor and buy some Zunsport grill guards!!!

]
Old 03-13-2019, 11:57 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Anderson
Interesting! I just spoke to the owner yesterday or the day before. Told him I would be back in touch Thursday and just today got a quote from the local dealer on a PPI.

This is a private seller? I understand having multiple people on the line in case a deal falls through, but if someone else put a deposit down, that's their car until a PPI falls through, some predetermined amount of time has passed, etc. Not being transparent about that is odd. You couldn't even start a bidding war because he didn't tell you there was already another interested buyer.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Been there recently. Sucks, but at least a fellow Rennlister is getting it. My 09 TT in Aqua Blue and twenty three thousand miles is gone forever. I waffled, he bought. Tough lesson for sure. Hope you end up with a really nice one soon.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:02 AM
floatingfish
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Nice looking front grill. What's a CL by the way?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingfish
Centerlock or Center Lock Wheels. On big "lug nut" in the center instead of five lug nuts. Like race cars I guess.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:43 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Im not pointing a bad finger on anyone but thats one reason I do not post a car im interested in the forum. Maybe coincidence but still a lesson to be learned.

1. act quick. I usually know if i want it and do not put down the phone until i give me deposit. Having had a number of TT so I know what i want.

2. I recommend giving vague clues on a car but close enough to get an idea of price. Dealers or PP snipe good cars. Learned it not just on cars but also houses.

But dont worry, a better car will appear. When that happens, ready your deposit.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Jeff - we've all been there. I think I was beat out 4-5 times when trying to buy a 997.2. Your senses are right as far as price and condition go. My tips would be look locally, act fast and be ready for the right opportunity. There are enough of these cars to go around. I drove a Turbo S with 19k miles and a Turbo with 40k miles and every cell in my body told me that this particular S had been abused and mistreated its entire life. It felt like a car with a 100k miles. One of the tips someone else passed along is that you're not buying the car but the previous owner. Look at every clue - do they take care of their house? Their body ? etc. This was a nice car despite the seat inserts.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingfish
Thank you. Yes, sorry. So used to using / seeing the short cut (CL) for CenterLock Wheels.

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Centerlock or Center Lock Wheels. On big "lug nut" in the center instead of five lug nuts. Like race cars I guess.
Yes, Thank you.

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Jeff - we've all been there. I think I was beat out 4-5 times when trying to buy a 997.2. Your senses are right as far as price and condition go. My tips would be look locally, act fast and be ready for the right opportunity. There are enough of these cars to go around. I drove a Turbo S with 19k miles and a Turbo with 40k miles and every cell in my body told me that this particular S had been abused and mistreated its entire life. It felt like a car with a 100k miles. One of the tips someone else passed along is that you're not buying the car but the previous owner. Look at every clue - do they take care of their house? Their body ? etc. This was a nice car despite the seat inserts.
Agree 100% on looking and investigating the Person / Seller. It's a great indicator.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Not an S, but this one popped up on the marketplace: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1133154
Old 03-22-2019, 09:28 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy to report that the car was just about exactly as described, and we closed the deal Weds. Seller and his wife were exactly the people you want to buy a high-end car from, meticulous, and very sad to see it go.

Saw my Dad on the way back down to San Diego and this was the best pic of the whole trip
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Well congrats on the car but dang I feel bad for the OP since the seller kinda led him on.

Oh well...Hope the OP finds the right car too.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Turbo S