Sponsored by:

Purchase a 997.2 Turbo for the updated look of for the DFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
JuanVR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase a 997.2 Turbo for the updated look of for the DFI

So as many of you know, manual 997.2 Turbos in manual are hard to find, which is a reason as to why it would be better to get into a .1 as they are easier to find due to larger production numbers. In addition to that theres the new DFI engine, updated exterior and interior and so. The question is, when is getting a .2 in manual worth it? I myself like the .2 looks as it holds the test of time better and the .1 looks have began to somewhat age. Would it be better to just update the looks on a .1 car(i.e get the new bumper, steering wheel, etc) and be done with it?

Thanks to everyone who reaches out in advance.

Edit: i apologize for the typo in the title, I meant to say "or for the DFI"
Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

.1 Coolant Pipe engine out Fix!!!

997.2 TT it is!!!

I wanted a TTS and was okay with the PDK, so I made the choice on the .2 for just about every reason there was (PDK, 530hp, No coolant pipe issues, updates inside and out, etc.)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:03 AM
JuanVR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big Swole
.1 Coolant Pipe engine out Fix!!!

997.2 TT it is!!!

I wanted a TTS and was okay with the PDK, so I made the choice on the .2 for just about every reason there was (PDK, 530hp, No coolant pipe issues, updates inside and out, etc.)
Didn't know that the DFI was more reliable than the Mezger.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:04 AM
Nebz911
AutoX

Originally Posted by JuanVR
So as many of you know, manual 997.2 Turbos in manual are hard to find, which is a reason as to why it would be better to get into a .1 as they are easier to find due to larger production numbers. In addition to that theres the new DFI engine, updated exterior and interior and so. The question is, when is getting a .2 in manual worth it? I myself like the .2 looks as it holds the test of time better and the .1 looks have began to somewhat age. Would it be better to just update the looks on a .1 car(i.e get the new bumper, steering wheel, etc) and be done with it?

Thanks to everyone who reaches out in advance.

Edit: i apologize for the typo in the title, I meant to say "or for the DFI"

The new DFI engine is not an update...more of a step down. You’re left with an updated steering wheel and NAV ( couple thousand more) vs an engine that’s worth 30kplus more. 997.2 are worth more due to rarity ( low production numbers.)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nebz911

The new DFI engine is not an update...more of a step down.
So, No coolant pipe and cam issues to have to pull engine / tranny to fix.
Plenty of DFI's making stupid amounts of power and turning mid / high 8's in the 1/4 and being daily driven.
Pretty dang good track record for being very reliable.

Not sure I'd say "A step down" man. Maybe a "side step" at best.
I know the all mighty Mezger is way over built and it's history and all, but the DFI is certainly holding it's own.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Nebz911
AutoX

Cam issus? ....the mezger is not THAT much more expensive then the "side step DFI" because it is rare or has race heritage. BTW the DFI is amazing....just not on par with a mezger....this is not from me..this is from porsche...hence why the price or "value" of a mezger will always be more. You are left with PDK if you want auto, if you don't then it gives no value. Update navigation and front bumper is really what you are looking at when comparing manuals.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Cam issus? ....the mezger is not THAT much more expensive then the "side step DFI" because it is rare or has race heritage. BTW the DFI is amazing....just not on par with a mezger....this is not from me..this is from porsche...hence why the price or "value" of a mezger will always be more. You are left with PDK if you want auto, if you don't then it gives no value. Update navigation and front bumper is really what you are looking at when comparing manuals.

Cam gear... Don't some have an issue with something to do with the cam / gear (can't remember exactly the issue, but seen / herd it talked about.).

I wanted the PDK due to it being quicker. I'm a drag racer at heart and love out right acceleration. LOVE a manual too and will have another some day, but for now, the TTS is the one.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:49 PM
JuanVR
Intermediate

The new DFI engine is not an update...more of a step down. You’re left with an updated steering wheel and NAV ( couple thousand more) vs an engine that’s worth 30kplus more. 997.2 are worth more due to rarity ( low production numbers.)
So it would be better to just get a .1 and get the updated rear bumper for it?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Nebz911
AutoX

So it would be better to just get a .1 and get the updated rear bumper for it?

If you want manual then .1 is the way to go. 2007 manual is going without sport chrono for over 80k as we speak...why is it almost the same price as a .2 ? Which 3-5 years newer? Manual for manual the 2009 .2 is the car to get....not debatable, you ask why ? Because has the Mezger AND update bumper/NAV plus low production numbers. Now a step down from that would be what? Non Mezger engine or no nav/bumper.?...you can answer that for yourself. Just my .2c
Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Here's an Awesome 2009 997.1 (.2 updates)

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ver-black.html

Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Swole is right - in my view a PDK is like an extra S for whatever you're driving. Almost impossible to get a Range 3 over rev and it's not a 'wear' item. Over a 200k mile lifetime, one could have 3-5 clutch changes at several thousand each... or one PDK covered by warranty.

In summary, faster, more reliable, cheaper. What's not to like ?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

IMHO, if you are ok with PDK, 997.2 is the obvious choice.

But a manual transmission Mezger Turbo coupe is a special beast and will remain that way for many, many years to come, whereas most 997.2 Turbo PDK owners would happily transition to a 991 Turbo PDK and never look back.

No, I wouldn't pay the huge premium for a rare DFI non-Mezger Turbo 997.2 with a six speed.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mezger allure.

So bottom line is this ranking. Top being the most desirable.

1) Mezger TT engine 07-09. Manual.
2) DFI engine. 09-12. Manual.

So from what I am hearing is that the Mezger is more "valuable" but the DFI TTs are going for higher prices because of its
relative scarcity? But the true form of the 997 TT remains the Mezger?
Old 04-16-2019, 11:48 PM
JuanVR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Radmd74
So bottom line is this ranking. Top being the most desirable.

1) Mezger TT engine 07-09. Manual.
2) DFI engine. 09-12. Manual.

So from what I am hearing is that the Mezger is more "valuable" but the DFI TTs are going for higher prices because of its
relative scarcity? But the true form of the 997 TT remains the Mezger?
I live in Toronto, and on Autotrader(Canadian) a local Volkswagen dealer has for sale an '11 997.2 Turbo Manual. Solid colour combo(black on black), no ceramics, but has the adaptives. It has 46,000km and they want $152K CAD. Meanwhile the .1 manual Turbos are going for about 90K-100K CAD. I guess it explains the rarity. Essentially, with $50K, it is possible to obtain and install the updated rear bumper on a .1. Adding to this, a used set of the Turbo II
wheels shouldn't cost much. A risky one(dont know if it would work properly) would be obtaining the .2s PCM unit(shoudnt be expensive just the installation is the concern). Do all of this and you have the perfect 997 Turbo!!!!

Edit: forgot to mention, an updated steering wheel shouldnt be a problem to install as well.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is DFI or mezger better?

Just curious and want to to know if the Mezger has overall better reliability and "value" in the long run versus the DFI on the 0.2TTs?

Probably hard to answer since the low production#'s of the .2 TTs keep it at a higher price point regardless of the engine " value."

Thoughts?

I live in Toronto, and on Autotrader(Canadian) a local Volkswagen dealer has for sale an '11 997.2 Turbo Manual. Solid colour combo(black on black), no ceramics, but has the adaptives. It has 46,000km and they want $152K CAD. Meanwhile the .1 manual Turbos are going for about 90K-100K CAD. I guess it explains the rarity. Essentially, with $50K, it is possible to obtain and install the updated rear bumper on a .1. Adding to this, a used set of the Turbo II
wheels shouldn't cost much. A risky one(dont know if it would work properly) would be obtaining the .2s PCM unit(shoudnt be expensive just the installation is the concern). Do all of this and you have the perfect 997 Turbo!!!!

Edit: forgot to mention, an updated steering wheel shouldnt be a problem to install as well.

Quick Reply: Purchase a 997.2 Turbo for the updated look of for the DFI