Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner questions

Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeJayHoward
Sure is. However, I noticed in that pic that the resistor only has one wire coming out of it. That's not how electricity works...

I wonder if this might be related to my electrical issues?
Yeah, looks like a broken wire.. those Dectane lights had external resistors to keep the ECU happy.. Try soldering the lead back..
Old 02-27-2019, 04:04 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeJayHoward
Sure is. However, I noticed in that pic that the resistor only has one wire coming out of it. That's not how electricity works..

I wonder if this might be related to my electrical issues?
...posted a response which disappeared into the ether - here's take 2...

That resistor is intended to be mounted on a larger metallic heatsink - its likely failed as it was mounted to an insulator (plastic light housing) - looks like its overheated and the soldered lead has detached as a result - my guess is it's toast. You might be lucky and the specs could be visible on it (or the one on the other light) and you can get a replacement from somewhere like Mouser. Assume this serves the array of embedded LEDs in the housing.
The LED replacement bulb (indicator light?) hanging out of the fitting should not require a resistor generally these are sold as "CANBUS" ready on places like eBay and are plug & play w. the stock harness. The one hanging out there is pretty cheap to replace if needed - LED's don't radiate well hence the 4 sided construction - search for CANBUS taillight bulb on eBay and you'll get 100's of hits...

IMHO aftermarket lights are a scam - they are always ****ty quality and never work as well as OEM - its primarily a safety system after all. If you want to keep the look that's up to you - if it were me I'd look for some OEM replacements...
Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Agreed. And OEM replacements are in my future. With any luck, the repair shop will be done with my quote soon and I can send it off to the dealership to have them OK replacements.

Right now the tech is having a bear of a time getting to the coolant temp sensor to test it. I'm becoming less and less impressed with this repair shop as time goes on. The whole quote was supposed to take 2-3 hours. Instead, it's over 11 hours so far, and still not done. I'm remembering why I do most of my own work.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:18 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ There is a thread on 6speed that details how to get to the sensor.. it's not super easy to get to, but not overly hard, either..

and I agree, I DIY whenever I can..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner questions