Sponsored by:

Bilstein B8s

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 02:13 AM
raiderr0n
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein B8s

New to the group and looking for opinions. I have a 997.2TT that's that sits too low (Champion springs) and looking to swap them out to Eibach (seems to lower the car the least amount, 0.8"). Is it worth replacing the dampers with Bilstein B8s? Car has < 25k miles. Since the labor is pretty much the same with a spring swap, I'm debating if its worth forking the extra $ for new dampers now or just ride out the OEM dampers until they die. I dont really intend to track it and probably occasional mountain driving, so I'm passing on coil overs. Plus I dont think i'll ever care to change the ride heigh (lower it anymore). I've read that the B8s were designed for lowered springs. Any one running this setup? Thanks.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:14 AM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by raiderr0n
New to the group and looking for opinions. I have a 997.2TT that's that sits too low (Champion springs) and looking to swap them out to Eibach (seems to lower the car the least amount, 0.8"). Is it worth replacing the dampers with Bilstein B8s? Car has < 25k miles. Since the labor is pretty much the same with a spring swap, I'm debating if its worth forking the extra $ for new dampers now or just ride out the OEM dampers until they die. I dont really intend to track it and probably occasional mountain driving, so I'm passing on coil overs. Plus I dont think i'll ever care to change the ride heigh (lower it anymore). I've read that the B8s were designed for lowered springs. Any one running this setup? Thanks.
You can keep the OEM shocks for the driving you will be doing. However the downsides are that you are losing suspension travel and as such the shocks will not be working with-in intended ranges, it most likely will not be enough to hasten their wear or failure unless you went with significantly higher spring rates. Getting a B8, or shorter shock body will help with the fact the car is lowered and will also combat bump steer and "tram lining". Also the car with only lowering springs will bounce/ wobble in turns during spirited driving and that feeling can be scary / unnerving. I would recommend at the very least getting the B8's or similar short body shock to go with any lowering spring. Although it would be worth every penny to go with a ride height adjustable coilover setup of some kind since you want to lower the car. If you go with B8's make sure to perform the appropriate bump stop trim or replacement. Lowering the car AND using B8's will increase stiffness and perceived ride harshness but will allow you to accomplish the "low" look while driving better than the OEM shocks w/ lowering springs.

The things worth the most when it comes to improving the car's drivability are tires and springs/shocks. Next would be sway bars and bushings although you will increase stiffness and NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) with each change you make away from the OEM setup.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTop (02-01-2022)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Are B8's still on back order?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 AM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Are B8's still on back order?
No they are available. It is easier to find the B8 damptronic than the non PASM version.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

I have B8s and have posted a few times. Worth it IMO - but might be hard to find - search "perpetual back order" in this forum.

I have GMG and drop is good, not too low. Eibach may be same don't know
Old 02-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
No they are available. It is easier to find the B8 damptronic than the non PASM version.
Link?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:06 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Link?
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index...7&mode=results

https://shox.com/shop/porsche/015-bi...hds-with-pasm/

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...ock-absorbers/

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...-911-24-195294

Quick Reply: Bilstein B8s