Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12' 997 Turbo S Good Deal?

Old 02-19-2019, 01:02 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I SO need to find a set of the black wheels SOON!!! I want to black my Turbo S badge and buy some black tail pipe tips too.
Go for it, you'll love the look! I recently had my chrome "Turbo S" script and headlight washer caps painted flat black to match the trim. I also switched to the Fabspeed Black Chrome tips which are holding-up nicely. And I added the OEM 991 "911 Turbo S" black decals on the bottom of the doors. These changes along with my black wheels and 20% tint look awesome on a lowered car. Perhaps I should take some new pictures and post them. My car looks a lot different now.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Nah, get it! I have them both. Have not gotten bored with the black ones yet.
Yeah, having a spare set is what I'd like to do for sure.

Originally Posted by Carlos4S
You could always DIP your wheels for less than $75-100. If you don't like it, peel it off. Would let you see if you really like the blackout look and you don't even have to take the wheels off the car. YMMV
Very true and I considered it. But heard it was a nightmare coming off.

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I dipped my wheels anthracite gray, and while it was easy and cheap to do and looked pretty good, it was a nightmare to peel off. I had read all the forums posts and watched all the videos so I knew to put extra coats on to make removal easy and it still sucked.
Exactly why I didn't really want to dip them.

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Go for it, you'll love the look! I recently had my chrome "Turbo S" script and headlight washer caps painted flat black to match the trim. I also switched to the Fabspeed Black Chrome tips which are holding-up nicely. And I added the OEM 991 "911 Turbo S" black decals on the bottom of the doors. These changes along with my black wheels and 20% tint look awesome on a lowered car. Perhaps I should take some new pictures and post them. My car looks a lot different now.
This post is worthless with PICS!!!! LOL

Post up some recent pics of said work!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

plasti-dip definitely needs a pretty thick layer to come off cleanly... Too thin and it can be a PITA to remove. It has some solvent in the paint itself so additional layers bond to previous layers. If your having trouble removing it, it can actually be easier to ADD more coats to older plasti-dip and let it fully dry before continuing with removal.

I've used it on truck wheels and trim pieces with good success... On some truck trim pieces it held up better than SEM trim paint.

The only thing on my Turbo that is plasti-dipped is the rear turbo badge. I dipped it to see if I liked it black before considering a more permanent solution, but a year later it looks great and I see no reason to remove it for replacement with an OEM black badge.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz

The only thing on my Turbo that is plasti-dipped is the rear turbo badge. I dipped it to see if I liked it black before considering a more permanent solution, but a year later it looks great and I see no reason to remove it for replacement with an OEM black badge.

Now THAT's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Can you give me your exactly process for doing the badge? I don't want to have to remove it.

I was thinking of taping it off and cleaning it. Then using Q-tips with some sort of something to smear around the badge that the plastic-dip won't stick to (like vaseline or something) as close to it as possible. Then spraying it.

How'd you do it?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:37 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
How much did it cost to have the script and washer caps painted?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:39 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Now THAT's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Can you give me your exactly process for doing the badge? I don't want to have to remove it.
I was thinking of taping it off and cleaning it. Then using Q-tips with some sort of something to smear around the badge that the plastic-dip won't stick to (like vaseline or something) as close to it as possible. Then spraying it.\
How'd you do it?
Starting a quick thread on the process to not get too far off topic in this one.

Here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...lasti-dip.html

Last edited by pfbz; 02-19-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:05 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Starting a quick thread on the process to not get too far off topic in this one.

Yep, exactly how I did it.. I like the black emblem on my black car..
Old 02-19-2019, 11:26 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Since he bought the car, I don't think he cares where this thread goes. lol
But, yes, thanks for starting that thread.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 PM
sa52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Since he bought the car, I don't think he cares where this thread goes. lol
But, yes, thanks for starting that thread.
Thats true. Thanks guys for all the comments. The car is amazing. Now on to making it mine. Already looking at exhaust, tunes, and some suspension upgrades.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sa52

Thats true. Thanks guys for all the comments. The car is amazing. Now on to making it mine. Already looking at exhaust, tunes, and some suspension upgrades.

I'm extremely happy for you brother!!! Especially since we share the passion for the same car and color!!!
I am jealous of the black wheels though..lol Let me know if you decide to sell them to upgrade.

Seriously consider a Europipe exhaust. There's a Cobb AP for sale here or on 6speedOL for $1100. Good price.
Also consider a TPC DSC controller. I think I posted my install vid.

Keep us posted man!!

David
Old 02-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Here it is:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2-turbo-s.html

Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
How much did it cost to have the script and washer caps painted?
I used a local shop who did the work for $50.00. This included removing the parts, base coat, final coat, clear coat and re-installation.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

wow, not sure if I should be happy or sad about this deal. Nevertheless, enjoy the car, OP--you did get a fantastic deal!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM
VRV000
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking of taping it off and cleaning it. Then using Q-tips with some sort of something to smear around the badge that the plastic-dip won't stick to (like vaseline or something) as close to it as possible. Then spraying it.

How'd you do it?
Came across this product on line this morning (https://getsuperwrap.com/). No idea if or how well it works, but maybe someone here has used it and can provide some feedback. It would certainly open up lots of possibilities for wheels, etc.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VRV000
Came across this product on line this morning (https://getsuperwrap.com/). No idea if or how well it works, but maybe someone here has used it and can provide some feedback. It would certainly open up lots of possibilities for wheels, etc.

Interesting!! I like it. Hoping someone here's used it and can share.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12' 997 Turbo S Good Deal?