Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   997.2 Turbo buying (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1129117-997-2-turbo-buying.html)

aerpelding 02-13-2019 09:23 PM

997.2 Turbo buying

I'm doing research to get into a 997.2 Turbo 6mt. I've gathered a bit of information, as i've already chosen to go with the .2. However i'm hoping you all can help me on what to look out for, and what year would be the best choice.
The car will be a weekend, sunny day fun car, just like my e46 M. Any suggestions, help, things to stay away from, etc. would all be helpful. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can and eventually getting behind the wheel of a 911.

pfbz 02-13-2019 09:53 PM

Porsche almost entirely transitioned to the PDK for the 997.2 turbo.

Apart from a several hundred manual 997.2 Turbos that Porsche let slip out, all 997.2 Turbos are PDK.

If you find one, you'll likely pay dearly for it and not have others to chose from.

997.1 Turbo is a great car with one of the greatest Porsche engines ever, and lots of manual transmissions available...

aerpelding 02-13-2019 10:16 PM

I know the .2 manual will be more rare, and with the increase in price will also keep a higher value over the life of the car. Imo PDK would be great if i planned on using it as a track car, however since it'll be a weekend toy a 6mt is non negotiable. I personally prefer the engagement and fun of the manual.

I also love the .1, but the subtle updates to the .2 and the newer engine are what have gravitated me towards it.

pfbz 02-14-2019 12:09 AM

You don't have to sing the praises of manuals to me, I'm a die-hard three pedal fan.

But if you are not flexible on wanting a 997.2 turbo and a 6mt is non-negotiable, most of your other questions are a bit pointless... You're not going to have more than one or two to pick from, and even then likely paying "collector" prices, and not a car your going to want to drive all that much if you want to retain that value.

There are some nice low mile ones advertised on cargurus, they will easily run you as much as a 991.1 Turbo. Likely more, they don't even bother to show the asking price. You also will find plenty of PDK Turbos improperly listed as manual.

But good luck in your search... Wishing you a unicorn behind every bush!

Skwerl 02-14-2019 12:12 AM

There are manual .2 Turbos from 2011-2013 as well. Very rare (I think in 2013 there were fewer than 10 6mt coupes) and your main point still stands, but they exist.

pfbz 02-14-2019 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 15637835)
There are manual .2 Turbos from 2011-2013 as well. Very rare (I think in 2013 there were fewer than 10 6mt coupes) and your main point still stands, but they exist.

Fixed... Thx.

"...and I want it in PTS Mexico Blue!"

MK_TT 02-14-2019 10:01 AM

Here's a nice low mile, manual example!

https://www.paulmillerporsche.com/us...1c2ad16a5b.htm

aerpelding 02-14-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by pfbz (Post 15637830)
You don't have to sing the praises of manuals to me, I'm a die-hard three pedal fan.

But if you are not flexible on wanting a 997.2 turbo and a 6mt is non-negotiable, most of your other questions are a bit pointless... You're not going to have more than one or two to pick from, and even then likely paying "collector" prices, and not a car your going to want to drive all that much if you want to retain that value.

There are some nice low mile ones advertised on cargurus, they will easily run you as much as a 991.1 Turbo. Likely more, they don't even bother to show the asking price. You also will find plenty of PDK Turbos improperly listed as manual.

But good luck in your search... Wishing you a unicorn behind every bush!

I saw a few manual .2's a few months back going for $80's - upper $90's. I don't care about low mileage, or keeping the mileage of the car down, i was just pointing out the value staying high with the rarity of the 6mt. However, i only put 3k miles on my M last year, so realistically i'd put about the same annually on the 911.

So, 997.1 6mt with .2 tails and bumper? What is there to look out from with the Metzger years?

Originally Posted by pfbz (Post 15637868)
Fixed... Thx.

"...and I want it in PTS Mexico Blue!"

Actually i do want Mexico Blue, haha. But i know i'll either have to wrap it or paint it.

Metaphysician 02-14-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by aerpelding (Post 15638776)
I saw a few manual .2's a few months back going for $80's - upper $90's. I don't care about low mileage, or keeping the mileage of the car down, i was just pointing out the value staying high with the rarity of the 6mt. However, i only put 3k miles on my M last year, so realistically i'd put about the same annually on the 911.

So, 997.1 6mt with .2 tails and bumper? What is there to look out from with the Metzger years?

Actually i do want Mexico Blue, haha. But i know i'll either have to wrap it or paint it.

The 997.2 TT teardrop taillights were only 2010-2013. 2009 was the last year of the TT w/ Mezger and also had some updated electronics and interior. Things to research for the Mezger is the intermediate bearing shaft and whether or not the coolant pipes have been pinned/welded. There's a nice looking silver one for sale in the classifieds right now.

I've been watching the TT market for ~6 months now and have not seen any 997.2 TT 6MT in that price range. PDKs or cabriolets with higher mileage, sure. There is a huge difference in price between .1 and .2 6MT... like $20-50K.

Skwerl 02-14-2019 03:16 PM

Mezgers don't have the IMS bearing issue that the M96/97 did. Their biggest weakness is the coolant pipe thing, which on the 07-08s is pretty much a matter of "when, not if" at this point.

Also, I've definitely seen some mid-mile .2 6mt coupes in the $80s, but they're rare enough you probably have to be patient.

Metaphysician 02-14-2019 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 15639091)
Mezgers don't have the IMS bearing issue that the M96/97 did. Their biggest weakness is the coolant pipe thing, which on the 07-08s is pretty much a matter of "when, not if" at this point.

Also, I've definitely seen some mid-mile .2 6mt coupes in the $80s, but they're rare enough you probably have to be patient.

I stand corrected. IMS was only a concern on the NA motors.

Nate Tempest 02-14-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by aerpelding (Post 15638776)

If the goal is to buy a rare .2 manual so it will (theoretically) hold value better, you won't want to paint it. (Wrap would be fine, of course.)

FWIW the 2009 has the .2 interior, and is much easier to find in manual. You can convert the bumpers if you really want to, but I'd just go with the Dectane tail lights and call it done. (As I did!) But I actually prefer the .1 tail light shape.

aerpelding 02-14-2019 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 15639091)

I'm in no rush, so waiting for the right car won't be a problem. Whether it's for the perfect .1 or a 6mt .2.

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest (Post 15639596)
If the goal is to buy a rare .2 manual so it will (theoretically) hold value better, you won't want to paint it. (Wrap would be fine, of course.)

FWIW the 2009 has the .2 interior, and is much easier to find in manual. You can convert the bumpers if you really want to, but I'd just go with the Dectane tail lights and call it done. (As I did!) But I actually prefer the .1 tail light shape.

I'll definitely look into the 2009 more as it has the updated interior. I likely wouldn't paint it, like you said. I think a Black 997TT would look great, and wrap it if i ever decided to change to Mexico Blue, or Gulf Orange temporarily.

I personally like the .2 lights shape, and being LED, better than the .1 but those are small things that can be tackled eventually after buying the car, if i do decide on the .1.

Between the Mezger engine and the .2 engine. What are the main differences exactly? I know power, which can be changed with a tune. But aside from fixing/upgrading the coolant pipe. Is the Mezger really that much better of an engine?

btw, you guys have been a ton of help. Thank you!

cyclrder 02-14-2019 07:07 PM

you could do a 09 .2 that car would have the Mezger engine but all of the updates of the .2 .. (updated electronics interior, more rear biased 4 wheel drive system, LED lights, more contemporary wheels).

If you are looking at higher mileage cars.. then you will probably expect to do a clutch if it was abused, probably plugs... so the extra money saved on a .1 car could be put to good use as a "freshen up" and just throw the coolant pipes in.

I haven't seen but one 2010-13 cabriolet (just what I have been following) under 100K … in the last 24 months... figure above 105K. But that being said.. these cars are more rare than GT3s

997.1 Turbo Coupe 07-09 5,166 sold
997.1 Turbo Cab 2,465 sold

997.2 Turbo Coupe 10-13 832 sold
997.2 Turbo Cab 10-13 656 sold
only 488 are manual …. and of that I think its only like 167 manual cabs....(I'm pulling from memory here.. but my totals are accurate)

997.2 Turbo S coupe 11-13 1,267 sold
997.2 Turbo S cab 11-13 1,066 sold

aerpelding 02-14-2019 08:31 PM

After this thread, and further doing my own research, I'm now looking at a 2009 Turbo 6mt. The Mezger engine and more available 6mt cars, absolutely makes it a no brainer.
That's why I came here! Thanks guys.
Now to find a black one and get a few other things out of the way first.