Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Turbo buying

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I'm now looking at a 2009 Turbo 6mt. The Mezger engine and more available 6mt cars,
If you shift to a Mezger .1 Turbo, IMHO limiting to the '09 only is a mistake as well.... Yes, they have PCM 3.0 instead of PCM 2.1, but both stereo/navs are still woefully outdated. Centerlock wheels also became an option in 2009, but many hate the centerlocks as they offer little advantage and are a bit of a PITA.

I'd suggest looking for the cosmetically clean, extremely well sorted .1 Turbo from 2007, 2008 or 2009. If you find a perfect '09, great, but I'd take a super well sorted '07 or '08 any day over a less sorted 2009 car that had an updated (but still outdated) stereo/nav system.

Shouldn't be a problem finding black... They made LOTS of black Turbos.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

I have the centerlock wheels... they are actually fabulous. (require spending money on the proper torque wrench and wheel grease) .. and while I'm adding my 2 cents.. the PCCB ceramic brakes are fabulous too! They work unbelieveably and absolutely zero dust. The cost sort of evens out over the life of the car..

the newer dash and PCM does not look or feel that dated plus it is touch screen and the older cars aren't (my daily driver is an 18 E63s Wagon with probably the most updated electronics out there so I have something to compare it too) … the cars are sportscars and it isn't about the electronic gizmos...You just don't want to be completely out dated.

a couple of other things about the .2 cars 2010-13 (DFI engine which is the basis for 991 turbo)
1. the engine with a Cobb tune can yield almost a 20% gain over the 500hp with just high flow cats and an exhaust (you eventually will want to change the sound) I'm not that familiar with the .1 but I think that it requires more internal stuff done to it to gain horsepower but at that point it seems to be able to handle 1000hp...… (not saying the .2 engine would not) Some people say that the Mezgar engine sounds more mechanical or better....
2. <deleted> as I was providing incorrect information regarding PSAM
3. the .2 cars changed the front trans-axel and how it engages allowing for a more rear wheel biased 4 wheel drive platform. (people hardly talk about this)

Hope this helps.. prices have softened a bit but I think that one day people will wake up to the .2 cars as fabulous Porsches to enjoy ..... especially people who don't track the car. It's a car that is enjoyable to drive around on the weekends and not beat yourself up in but still has the ***** to scare you. (my kids still complain that you feel every bump!)

Of course... you could also check out the new GT500 or maybe the GT350? btw... my AMG E63s wagon would probably smoke my full exhaust equipped, cobb tuned manual 997.2 (the PDK cars a faster)... but the AMG is a lunatic.

Last edited by cyclrder; 02-15-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: incorrect information
Old 02-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclrder
2. the PSAM is much more sophsticated (when you add the DSC module which is another "must".. the .1 cars require a separate 3-axis accelerometer module to function as well as the .2 car)
Thought all of the 997 Turbos have the accelerometers in them - it's just the 997.1 Carreras that dont and you have to buy the accelerometer with the DSC for those vehicles.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
Thought all of the 997 Turbos have the accelerometers in them - it's just the 997.1 Carreras that dont and you have to buy the accelerometer with the DSC for those vehicles.
I stand corrected. My mistake. then the PSAM difference is mute point. Thank you for correcting my poor internet information.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

the newer dash and PCM does not look or feel that dated plus it is touch screen and the older cars aren't (my daily driver is an 18 E63s Wagon with probably the most updated electronics out there so I have something to compare it too) … the cars are sportscars and it isn't about the electronic gizmos...You just don't want to be completely out dated.
Yeah, the analogy I always think of is, would you rather use a 2008 Blackberry or a 2010 iPhone in 2019? They're both horrendously out of date, but the iPhone (PCM 3.0) still has modern design and UI sensibilities, whereas the Blackberry (PCM 2.0) feels like a relic from 2002. The 997.2 dash/console/PCM has a more timeless and cohesive design that doesn't stick out as being old like the .1 cars' does.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:11 PM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the centerlock wheels... they are actually fabulous. (require spending money on the proper torque wrench and wheel grease) .. and while I'm adding my 2 cents.. the PCCB ceramic brakes are fabulous too! They work unbelieveably and absolutely zero dust. The cost sort of evens out over the life of the car..

a couple of other things about the .2 cars 2010-13 (DFI engine which is the basis for 991 turbo)
1. the engine with a Cobb tune can yield almost a 20% gain over the 500hp with just high flow cats and an exhaust (you eventually will want to change the sound) I'm not that familiar with the .1 but I think that it requires more internal stuff done to it to gain horsepower but at that point it seems to be able to handle 1000hp...… (not saying the .2 engine would not) Some people say that the Mezgar engine sounds more mechanical or better....
3. the .2 cars changed the front trans-axel and how it engages allowing for a more rear wheel biased 4 wheel drive platform. (people hardly talk about this)

Hope this helps.. prices have softened a bit but I think that one day people will wake up to the .2 cars as fabulous Porsches to enjoy ..... especially people who don't track the car. It's a car that is enjoyable to drive around on the weekends and not beat yourself up in but still has the ***** to scare you. (my kids still complain that you feel every bump!)

Of course... you could also check out the new GT500 or maybe the GT350? btw... my AMG E63s wagon would probably smoke my full exhaust equipped, cobb tuned manual 997.2 (the PDK cars a faster)... but the AMG is a lunatic.

Nice wagon ... Tried to convince the misses that one would be the perfect family car for us but she has a hard aversion to wagons. So she ended up with an S6.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Op, quite often this place has good 997.1 turbo’s in their inventory. I bought my 997.1 4s there.
jakesmotorcars.com
Old 02-15-2019, 06:02 PM
aerpelding
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the centerlock wheels, i think it makes the car even more unique. The extra expense of having to get wheel grease doesn't bother me. I already have Precision Instruments Torque wrenches.
I've tossed around the idea of a GT350, however even with the car possibly being faster it doesn't have the presence of the 911. I've always wanted a Porsche, and imo the 997 is one of the best looking ever made. Next to the 993 and 964.

I think i'm committing myself to sticking with the '09. Simply because you don't realize how important something like bluetooth is, until you don't have it. Like my e46 for example. Plus, the '09 will be easier to upgrade the .2 rear lights and bumper.
Exhaust and suspension are things i've already looked into also, so they'd definitely be changed. Therefor the .2's better suspension doesn't matter for me, and the "better sounding" Mezger engine is a plus.
I've heard the Mezger engine's are stronger than the 3.8? But aside from a tune and catless exhaust, i won't be doing much else to it power wise.

Having an e46 M3 i feel i have one of the best all motor cars ever built, and having a 997TT sit next to it in the garage being imo, one of the best turbo cars ever made, would be like walking into heaven every time you walk in the garage. haha

Originally Posted by I am the Walrus
Op, quite often this place has good 997.1 turbo’s in their inventory. I bought my 997.1 4s there.
jakesmotorcars.com
I will definitely check that site out. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by aerpelding
I think i'm committing myself to sticking with the '09. Simply because you don't realize how important something like bluetooth is, until you don't have it.
I think you're making the right choice but be aware that even the updated PCM 3.0 doesn't do streaming Bluetooth audio.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

For the record, I had a guy in one that looks just like yours try to get away from me twice from a roll while getting on the hwy and then again merging onto another hwy.
My 997.2 TTS with just a Cobb Stg. 2 OTS tune and Europipe was catching him both times. Not major gains, so the E63 is very impressive, but catching him none the less.
I feel like it may have been tuned as well though.

For my money, the 997.2 TTS (Yes with PDK) is damn hard to beat for the money!! I love a 3 pedal car and sold one (996TT) to buy my 997.2TTS. I've never missed that clutch pedal.
I love this thing.

my AMG E63s wagon would probably smoke my full exhaust equipped, cobb tuned manual 997.2 (the PDK cars a faster)... but the AMG is a lunatic.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:05 PM
aerpelding
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PDK is definitely faster, i'm not arguing that fact. However, for me, the pure joy, fun, and added engagement of driving a 3 pedal car is worth it to be slightly slower. Ultimate speed for me doesn't matter, it's all about the fun of driving a boosted awd Porsche. There will always be someone faster than you, but having the most fun possible behind the wheel is more fun than trying to beat everyone.
Plus, if you're a better driver than the other guy with PDK, then you can be faster than them in a slower car anyway.

I may take the car to the track occasionally, but for a street car 6mt is the way to go as long as you're not driving it daily. As much as i don't like automatics, i much prefer my automatic daily while sitting in Houston traffic. I've never taken my m3 to the track, even though that's what it was also designed for, so the PDK isn't an option for me.

Now, if i was looking to buy a 991 Turbo S as a daily, i would absolutely be happy with the PDK that comes with the car. I have buddies with DCT M3/4's that love it, because it's their daily and Houston traffic with a clutch sucks. haha
Old 02-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Oh, I agree about the 3 pedals. If I could own one of each I would. But the TTS was / is the car I've always wanted, so taking / liking the PDK just came with it.

If I were rich, this would be in my garage Right NOW!!

https://www.paulmillerporsche.com/us...1c2ad16a5b.htm
Old 02-16-2019, 09:21 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Default 997.2

The stick is key...PDK is great and faster but nowhere near as intoxicating.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:01 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

The stick is key...PDK is great and faster but nowhere near as intoxicating.

Totally Subjective...Not Fact!

That goes for me as well.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

PDK is superior in every way. Manual still offers the excitement. The PDK is just super cool!

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo buying