Sponsored by:

Worried About DME Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 PM
sa52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Worried About DME Report

Long time reader of the forums and I looking for help on a DME report of car I am looking to purchase. The car is a 2008 997.1 with ~ 66K miles. The car had been modified with meth injection, upgraded Alpha intercoolers, Fabspeed Intake, and upgraded clutch. Now the dealer is saying the car is tuned also with possible turbo upgrades but they are not 100% sure. Now my question is, the DME reports seem really high but after some research I see that it could be due to a tune and a raised rev limiters. Is that true? Should I be considering car? I am thinking of having a leakdown and compression test but not even sure if its worth it. Also I don't have total engine hours but I am trying to get that. Other than the revs the car has a clean background with good PPI.

Range 1: 50165 H: 2338.6
Range 2: 18703 H: 2338.6
Range 3: 5084 H: 2338.6
Range 4: 1362 H: 2338.6
Range 5: 90 H: 2338.6
Range 6: 0

Last edited by sa52; 02-13-2019 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ That car has been driven very hard, and the last time it was taken above redline was a Range 5 event. Yes, raising the rev limiter and a tune could def increase your propensity for R1-3s but I'm not sure about the R4 & 5s. Missed shift most likely.

Meth is a whole different animal.. Great power can be made but with that power comes great responsibility as the old saying goes.. A bad meth install can be problematic..

Total number of hours is needed to make a decision.. lets hope it's not 2338.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:01 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Not the cleanest report I've ever seen, but not the worst. The tune can definitely account for the plentiful 1s and 2s, maybe 3s if it's really aggressive.

I'd only really be concerned about this one if the car has ~2338 hours, like saabin said, which would indicate a bad missed shift and then they're trying to sell it before it any consequences pop up. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if the total hours are close to that, since that would put the average MPH in the typical 25-35mph ballpark.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:34 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

how many clocked hours total?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:54 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Testament to the Mezger BoB. BoB “bucket of bolts”, outdated engine with poor efficiency but an uncanny reputation to withstand extremely bad treatment. Try that extreme treatment with the new efficient “DFI” engines.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 AM
sa52
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to get the total hours on the car to see when these events happened last. This was a previous PPI done a couple of weeks ago and the pictures don't show the total engine hours. Until then I am not sure I can make a decision on the car.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:25 PM
sa52
Rennlist Member

Well I was able to get the total engine hours and it is 2340, which means range 1 - 5 were all triggered less than 2 hours ago. Dealer said they don't understand how as they car has been in their possession for the last 7 months. Seems like I am going to have to pass on it but it seemed like a great deal with all it had done to it.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:39 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sa52
Well I was able to get the total engine hours and it is 2340, which means range 1 - 5 were all triggered less than 2 hours ago. Dealer said they don't understand how as they car has been in their possession for the last 7 months. Seems like I am going to have to pass on it but it seemed like a great deal with all it had done to it.

Someone at the dealer might have taken for a little joy ride but dont let a good car pass up because of over-rev report.

So many guys dont buy cars because of these reports and its sad. These car are meant to be driven hard

I dont know if i have ever seen a thread where someone got a car with a "bad" overrev report and then the car blew up
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 PM
sa52
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Someone at the dealer might have taken for a little joy ride but dont let a good car pass up because of over-rev report.

So many guys dont buy cars because of these reports and its sad. These car are meant to be driven hard

I dont know if i have ever seen a thread where someone got a car with a "bad" overrev report and then the car blew up
You may be correct but the fact that it is so recent has me slightly worried. The benefit of the car would getting $30K+ worth of upgrades for basically free like 1300CC Injectors and upgraded VTG turbos. But between the higher mileage and the DME it would be in the back of mind every time I get on it. The car is going for $63,500 and the are firm on price.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:06 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

The used car people are usually going to feign ignorance on recent over revs.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:07 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sa52
You may be correct but the fact that it is so recent has me slightly worried. The benefit of the car would getting $30K+ worth of upgrades for basically free like 1300CC Injectors and upgraded VTG turbos. But between the higher mileage and the DME it would be in the back of mind every time I get on it. The car is going for $63,500 and the are firm on price.
How many miles are on the car?

I got my car with 67k on it. Mine also had upgraded turbos intercoolers injectors mafless tune etc. I didnt check the over rev report until after I bought the thing and the car has been a monster ever since.

I think their price is a little high cause modded cars normally sell for less but are way more fun
Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i would pass... they just abused the car
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo

LOL. Not the best advice. Your statement about “meant to be driven hard” is true for range 1-2 and maybee 3. No issues there. But when you have hit range 4-5 in the last few hours this is not driving “hard”. This is not knowing how to drive and breaking the car more then likely.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:50 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale

LOL. Not the best advice. Your statement about “meant to be driven hard” is true for range 1-2 and maybee 3. No issues there. But when you have hit range 4-5 in the last few hours this is not driving “hard”. This is not knowing how to drive and breaking the car more then likely.
LOL. Have you not seen the DME reports people are always posting with way more ranges 4-6 than this car that are still running strong 20,000 miles later? OP's car money shifted pretty recently so I can understand his caution but based on real world observation I bet if it's running fine now, we could check in on it 5 years from now and find it hasn't had any issues from that. (The meth stuff may complicate it, not really sure on that.)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:57 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
LOL. Have you not seen the DME reports people are always posting with way more ranges 4-6 than this car that are still running strong 20,000 miles later? OP's car money shifted pretty recently but based on real world observation I bet if it's running fine now, we could check in on it 5 years from now and find it hasn't had any issues from that. (The meth stuff may complicate it, not really sure on that.)
Well It is difficult to say what will happen in the future. I am just stating that those over revs recorded in 4-5 so recently are not good. I mean, it would be better if they were not there.

So many people argue about over revs. And, yes, most of the time it is of no concern. But I would much rather have a car without them. Our local Porsche Dealer scopes cars with questionable rev reports. Leak down as well.

Over revs are just another tool in making an informed buying decision. But you must know the facts.

Quick Reply: Worried About DME Report