Sponsored by:

Touch up or paint a scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:45 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Touch up or paint a scratch?

This morning I picked up my car from having maintenance at the Porsche dealership. Unfortunately, I noticed a scratch, approximately three Inches long, on the passenger door panel and the door handle. I brought this to the attention of my service advisor. I said I will bring it to my detail shop (where I had color correction, PPF, and ceramic coating applied) and see what can be done. The detail shop that they could not provide any service that would fix or improve the damage as the scratch penetrated the clearcoat and hit the metal, and recommended a body shop to bring it to since the detail shop thought the best course of action would be the paint the affected area.

At the body shop, the person said they could either touch up the scratch where it would be less noticeable (to where it would not be visible from far way but on closer inspection one can see it to the tune of about two hours of work), or paint the affected area and blend to the surrounding area/panel (affecting two car panels in total). He recommeded to paint and would do so if it was his car.

After the body shop is finished with whatever repair method, the car will be taken to the detail shop for color correction and the re-application of the ceramic coating to the affected area (PPF was not applied to this area).

The car is a 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo in Basalt metallic black. The body shop works on high end cars like Porsche, Ferrari, and Ford GT40.

Either fix method, I would not be happy. If touch-up, I will still see the defect. If paint, then I am not a fan of painting. But something must be done.

I have not heard back from the bodyshop about cost or if Porsche will cover (but my service advisor had informed his management); however, that is immaterial as I will do what is best.

What would you do or recommend what to do with the scratch?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:04 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by no-subt2
This morning I picked up my car from having maintenance at the Porsche dealership. Unfortunately, I noticed a scratch, approximately three Inches long, on the passenger door panel and the door handle. I brought this to the attention of my service advisor. I said I will bring it to my detail shop (where I had color correction, PPF, and ceramic coating applied) and see what can be done. The detail shop that they could not provide any service that would fix or improve the damage as the scratch penetrated the clearcoat and hit the metal, and recommended a body shop to bring it to since the detail shop thought the best course of action would be the paint the affected area.

At the body shop, the person said they could either touch up the scratch where it would be less noticeable (to where it would not be visible from far way but on closer inspection one can see it to the tune of about two hours of work), or paint the affected area and blend to the surrounding area/panel (affecting two car panels in total). He recommeded to paint and would do so if it was his car.

After the body shop is finished with whatever repair method, the car will be taken to the detail shop for color correction and the re-application of the ceramic coating to the affected area (PPF was not applied to this area).

The car is a 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo in Basalt metallic black. The body shop works on high end cars like Porsche, Ferrari, and Ford GT40.

Either fix method, I would not be happy. If touch-up, I will still see the defect. If paint, then I am not a fan of painting. But something must be done.

I have not heard back from the bodyshop about cost or if Porsche will cover (but my service advisor had informed his management); however, that is immaterial as I will do what is best.

What would you do or recommend what to do with the scratch?
I would get a quote to repaint, keep the money and have the scratch touched-up at your expense. You didn’t mentioned if the paint was solid or metallic. If it is solid it definitely can be repaired without it being noticeable.

Please post photos.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:14 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't muck around with touchups on scratches, especially with metallic paint. Get it repainted if you want to do it once and do it right.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The color of the paint is Basalt metallic black.

The car was also parked overnight outside on the dealer's lot where anybody can get to it. The car also had dew/moisture on it due to staying out overnight. The dealer had previously always parked the car inside their garage after previous maintenance prior to me picking it up.

I have attached a picture of the scratch.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:12 PM
realking
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Great question as I have a similar "scratch" though smaller on my 2010 TT in Arctic Silver. Is it better to keep all the paint on all the panels OEM vs a repaint? I'm excluding the front and rear bumpers from this conversation. Is that true regarding solid vs. metallic paint?

Last edited by realking; 02-06-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-06-2019, 07:38 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Paint. My car is the same color as yours. I had both front and rear bumpers redone on my car and fixed a scratch on the rear quarter panel while I was at it. I used a high end trusted shop with a great reputation. I also used them on 3 prior cars. The car looks 100% perfect and I'm happy. After the paint was done "gassing out" I covered the whole car with PPF to make sure it can't happen again.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by no-subt2

The color of the paint is Basalt metallic black.

The car was also parked overnight outside on the dealer's lot where anybody can get to it. The car also had dew/moisture on it due to staying out overnight. The dealer had previously always parked the car inside their garage after previous maintenance prior to me picking it up.

I have attached a picture of the scratch.
I would try to purchase a used basalt black door handle trim from the usual places, then have a professional touch-up the door. If you are not happy, then do a respray. The problem with fixing the scratch with blending is that the entire door panel will have to be clear-coated. Then down the road you have the potential of blemishes plus if you ever sell the car, the paint thickness meter will be off the charts which creates another set of problems. IMHO

Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

I used to be crazy about getting everything repainted every time something happened.

My aged and grown up mindset tells me that I understand how much collectors, future owners and especially I myself value OEM paint, that now I’d much rather have a professional touch up vs respray.

My recommendation would be replace the handle, and while the handle is off touchup, level, polish the door. But don’t repaint.

Last edited by Ruskiy; 02-07-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

+1 totally agree with you!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I've had amazing success with touching up rock chips using this pen:
Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen
You get a bottle of touch-up paint, fill the reservoir, and make super-tiny dabs in the scratch (rather than using a brush) to level out the void. I've had good results with the Dr. ColorChip paint and leveling solution as well. I would try this much cheaper and simpler option before considering respray/blending panels.

Here's a tutorial on this technique and tool:
The following users liked this post:
Aaron12 (07-19-2022)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
I've had amazing success with touching up rock chips using this pen: Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen You get a bottle of touch-up paint, fill the reservoir, and make super-tiny dabs in the scratch (rather than using a brush) to level out the void. I've had good results with the Dr. ColorChip paint and leveling solution as well. I would try this much cheaper and simpler option before considering respray/blending panels.
I've tried this on my bonnet which has lots of chips, but I haven't had the time or patience to finsh the job. It seems that you have to do several passes with dry time in between in order to fill up the holes.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
I've tried this on my bonnet which has lots of chips, but I haven't had the time or patience to finsh the job. It seems that you have to do several passes with dry time in between in order to fill up the holes.
Yes, for deeper repairs you need to add layers with drying time in between. Sometimes you can get lucky with one or two coats because of the capillary action from that pen and the tiny amount of paint it disperses. There is a leveler solution that comes with the Dr. Colorchip kit that also helps with smoothing the paint so you don't have a bubble that is proud of the surface. There is definitely a technique to this, but very rewarding with practice and patience.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
Yes, for deeper repairs you need to add layers with drying time in between. Sometimes you can get lucky with one or two coats because of the capillary action from that pen and the tiny amount of paint it disperses. There is a leveler solution that comes with the Dr. Colorchip kit that also helps with smoothing the paint so you don't have a bubble that is proud of the surface. There is definitely a technique to this, but very rewarding with practice and patience.
Yeah, I need to commit to this. Either that or respray the whole thing. Did you use any clear coat during the process?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Yeah, I need to commit to this. Either that or respray the whole thing. Did you use any clear coat during the process?
No, I didn't use a clear coat final layer. I've read mixed things about needing it and their instructions don't mention it. I didn't want to risk another product ruining the repair I made, so I just make sure it's waxed well and haven't had any issues so far.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 PM
ATL_997TTS
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it not just a cosmetic issue it's also a loss of value issue on your car with repainting or touch up, I would have them cut you a check to repaint and then just touch up best you can. Pocket the extra to compensate you for when and if you ever sell down the road.

Quick Reply: Touch up or paint a scratch?