Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Seepage Help

Old 01-18-2019, 02:42 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Oil Seepage Help

I was hoping some of you guys could help me out. I noticed some oil seepage/leaking from the back drivers side of the car near the exhaust and behind the turbo charger. There also seems to be a vacuum line that is loose. I would appreciate any help in identifying what is going on and if its a common issue that can be addressed easily. I attached some pictures but not sure they are the best quality as I have not had a chance to get it up in the air. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:46 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Tough to tell from the pictures, but one thing I do when I have something like this is to clean the area as best I can so I can get a better idea of the source.

Ed
Old 01-18-2019, 03:22 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

With the TT's crankcase pressure, under certain circumstances they have been known to push oil back into the intake system so it could be a possibility that a vacuum hose could be leaking oil and that does look like a stiff vacuum hose to me. Having said that, after looking at the photos more I see no sign of oil on the tip of the hose so I would largely discount that idea. Your first picture appears to show pooled oil around that nut head...what is that? I agree give it a good cleaning and the leak will probably reveal itself.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:49 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
Tough to tell from the pictures, but one thing I do when I have something like this is to clean the area as best I can so I can get a better idea of the source.

Ed
Agree, it might be that scavange pump seal leaking.. hard to tell until you clean it up.

Regarding the vacuum hose, I'm 90% sure that's the overflow hose from the coolant expansion tank. It just hangs there and is not connected to anything. Follow the hose up and it should connect to a nipple on the coolant tank. #10 in the pic.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

I will do some scrubbing and see what reveals itself. Thanks guys. Will post a followup if I find anything.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

As an update....it appears this bolt in the top photo was slightly loose and leaking. Tightened it up and bit and will see if it fixes it. Does anyone know if there is an O-ring or sealant needed for this area? Seems odd it would back itself out and be finger loose.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

When I was shopping for turbos to purchase quite a few I saw had that same seepage place.
Independent Porsche mechanic PPI’d one of the cars and said it had a loose valve cover bolt. He put some sealant on it and tightened it, 5-10 min fix. Last I heard about that car it’s been fine for 5,000+ miles.
Mechanic said he sees that a lot.
Which bolt did you find that was loose? Can you take another picture of circle it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Seepage Help