Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   I drove a stock 997TT for the first time yesterday (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1123506-i-drove-a-stock-997tt-for-the-first-time-yesterday.html)

A418t81 01-11-2019 12:31 PM

I drove a stock 997TT for the first time yesterday

I had always wondered what these things felt like bone stock. I bought mine with a flash, exhaust, springs and wheels from the get-go. It was basically what I expected. Clutch was very light. It was quiet. The lag is still there until around 3k rpm. The power wasn’t quite as smooth as I would have thought but the car may have had old/lower octane fuel in it. It was an 07 in GT silver. 95k on the clock, but the car looked like half the mileage. The interior was in incredibly good condition, almost hard to believe actually. The guy spent a fortune on maintenance. Everything was done at the dealer with a stack of receipts in chronological order in the glove box. Really nice car. He unfortunately passed away and the heirs are looking to sell it to the local dealership. Made me a little sad as you could tell how much time and money the owner put into it to keep it looking and driving like new. He succeeded for sure.

That said, it’s amazing what some mods do for this platform. I came home and marveled at mine. The .1 rear end dates the car so badly compared to the .2 with the LEDs like mine has. Obviously power isn’t even in the same league, but I did like the factory clutch and fully operational slave hydraulics. It seemed a lot less vague than mine was. The car absolutely, 100% needs an exhaust. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner with the factory muffler.

theplings 01-11-2019 01:06 PM

I've had mine for 2 years now, I have added exhaust, wheels and coilovers. I keep thinking about a tune - I don't feel I need more power, but a more linear delivery would be nice...seems like a tune can do that.

USNA12 01-11-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by theplings (Post 15558425)
I've had mine for 2 years now, I have added exhaust, wheels and coilovers. I keep thinking about a tune - I don't feel I need more power, but a more linear delivery would be nice...seems like a tune can do that.

I would suggest reaching out to Kevin at UMW. He was great to work with, and really woke my car up. Not only that, but it was a lot smoother and easier to drive. He also takes the time to explain what and why he is doing things.

theplings 01-11-2019 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by USNA12 (Post 15558589)
I would suggest reaching out to Kevin at UMW. He was great to work with, and really woke my car up. Not only that, but it was a lot smoother and easier to drive. He also takes the time to explain what and why he is doing things.

I spoke with Kevin a while back and he was a pleasure to talk to and seems to really know the platform well. If I decided to do it he is certainly at the top of the list of tuners I would use.

pfbz 01-11-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by A418t81 (Post 15558349)
I had always wondered what these things felt like bone stock....The lag is still there until around 3k rpm... The power wasn’t quite as smooth as I would have thought...

Everything was done at the dealer with a stack of receipts ...

No doubt tuning and some minor mods wake up these cars a tremendous amount, but there is also a pretty good chance the car you drove had boost leaks....

Dealers rarely pressure test, and many leaks never set any fault codes plus will still make full boost on the gauge. Can go years and years without anyone ever fixing the problem as it doesn't have any real symptoms except a bit more lag and feeling less powerful.

Did you buy the car? If not, why not pass the seller info along to someone here who might be looking? Surely they will get more than a dealer trade in and the car would go to an enthusiast home which the family might appreciate.

strato58 01-11-2019 06:26 PM

A reasonable tune is the best mod you can do to this car. Im not talking anything putting it on the verge of explosion but just a nice safe tune.

A418t81 01-11-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by pfbz (Post 15559215)
No doubt tuning and some minor mods wake up these cars a tremendous amount, but there is also a pretty good chance the car you drove had boost leaks....

Dealers rarely pressure test, and many leaks never set any fault codes plus will still make full boost on the gauge. Can go years and years without anyone ever fixing the problem as it doesn't have any real symptoms except a bit more lag and feeling less powerful.

Did you buy the car? If not, why not pass the seller info along to someone here who might be looking? Surely they will get more than a dealer trade in and the car would go to an enthusiast home which the family might appreciate.

It doesn't have any significant boost leaks. I'm a blood hound for detection of any decent leak and I listened to the car very carefully under load multiple times while I was driving it. The minor irregularity in power was higher in the rev range. Like I said, I think the octane of the fuel was suspect. The amount of lag was no more than my 997 has. It's just the nature of the turbos on the car.

I didn't have the opportunity to buy it. I was brought in to check out the car and see what I thought since I'm the resident 997TT expert in my town, haha. I would buy it if I was given the chance, but my buddy at the dealership already has dibs. It's a one owner car with full records...a no brainer for what they are getting on trade-in.