Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Help: 997.1 Turbo Exhaust system info (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1123375-help-997-1-turbo-exhaust-system-info.html)

ZX1100 01-10-2019 03:49 PM

Help: 997.1 Turbo Exhaust system info

Hello all, I'm new here and still getting to know my recently purchased 997.1 turbo. I actually just noticed that the car has a dual can tubi style exhaust, does anyone have any info on this system? Can't seem to find anything on it.

Also, if the previous owner upgraded the exhaust I'm hoping the ECU has been flashed, any way to quickly tell? Boost reading?

Thanks for any info!

911.Forever 01-13-2019 11:13 PM

RE: Exhaust. Take a couple photos and send them off to Tubi customer support. This is likely your cut-to-the-chase solution. Failing that, if you like the way it sounds leave it alone. If you don't like the way it sounds, shop around. There are plenty of options out there. Favorite manufacturers and unlimited narrative by your fellow TT comrades on this site are easy to research.
RE: Tune. Personally I don't know how to recognize a flash tune vs OEM. Asked this same question of myself when I bought my turbo, but in the end simply researched, researched and researched then bought a tune. Knowing what was "in it" was more important to me than just wondering. You could be tuned mild or wild. I'd recommend researching your own tune and installing it. That's half the fun. Good luck!

nzskater 01-14-2019 12:25 AM

I think there's a flash count or version count or some such that can be read by PIWIS/Durametric. This can indicate a flash has been loaded.

911.Forever 01-14-2019 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by nzskater (Post 15564190)
I think there's a flash count or version count or some such that can be read by PIWIS/Durametric. This can indicate a flash has been loaded.

Yes, I was wondering of there is a version denotation, but if so, where would one find it? I couldn't locate it on my Foxwell with the installed tune. And once found, I was wondering how one would know if updated OEM flash was performed, ie: warranty, bug fixes, etc. Certainly a PIWIS and mechanic knowing the iteration ID's would be well equipped to answer.

ZX1100 01-14-2019 03:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. Been searching and found this picture that matches the exhaust that's installed on my car. I was just wondering if this is a good system so I can get a good ECU tune if not done already. Just didn't know since most of the pictures I see of Tubi style exhausts are not dual canned. But from reading the description for the one pictured it seems to have high flow 200 cell cats so hope that's what I have. I'll look into the flash count to see if there is one like the Audi's have.

Great idea, I'll take a pic of the stamping on the exhaust and send them off to Tubi customer support for more info.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cb3add9962.png

Brainz 01-14-2019 12:45 PM

I have the same Tubi system -- I bought it used and have no idea on the specs or history. I like mine -- it's very livable. It's got a raucous cold start, but mellows to a growl at idle/throttle blip. Doesn't really drone, so easy to cruise around at 2500 rpm and have a conversation. Not really a screamer on sound at the top either, so if that's your goal, there's probably better choices, but it sounds way better than the factory vacuum cleaner. The [friendly] neighbors say they always know when I come and go, so it's a distinctive but not obnoxious sound.

Regarding performance, I have no hard numbers, but it didn't meaningfully hurt performance versus the [earsplitting] straight pipes it replaced -- and that was on an E85 tune with ~750 crank hp. It might have made the turbos spool a bit slower/later, but again, I didn't find it to be much different (other than being livable with a nice sound). When I change tunes (Stock, 93 tuned, or E85), I feel a meaningful power difference at each step -- it might not flow the best as measured by a dyno, but for my street driving, it's perfectly fine (and fast).

If you're looking for max performance, I'd be happy to sell you a set of catless straight pipes for cheap. Impress your friends: Kneel down behind your bumper and watch your turbos spin and roast your face at the same time. Note: Eye and ear protection required!

cgfen 01-14-2019 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZX1100 (Post 15556524)
Hello all, I'm new here and still getting to know my recently purchased 997.1 turbo. I actually just noticed that the car has a dual can tubi style exhaust, does anyone have any info on this system? Can't seem to find anything on it.

Also, if the previous owner upgraded the exhaust I'm hoping the ECU has been flashed, any way to quickly tell? Boost reading?

Thanks for any info!

If you live in an area with less than 93 octane fuel, be cautious until you understand state of your tune.
If aggressively tuned for 93 and you only have 91 octane = could be ugly

ZX1100 01-14-2019 08:41 PM

Brainz...I never really had a chance to listen to a stock exhaust so when I heard this one for the first time I didn't know any better. It's like you mentioned, it's growls at startup but mellows out and no drone that I noticed when driving it home so I wasn't sure but it was always on the back of my mind that it did sound different. My other car has a cat-less straight pipe exhaust and the wifey doesn't like it but she perfectly fine with this one :) Thanks for your offer on the exhaust but it looks like I'll be sticking with this one since you confirmed it can handle a good tune. May I ask what tune you have?

cgfen...Thanks for the heads up. I'm located in the burbs outside Chicago and we have 93 octane here and that's the only gas I put into my cars luckily. I only had a chance to drive it home and now it's put away for the winter months until April. Man, it's hard to just see the car sit in the garage :(

Brainz 01-15-2019 05:27 PM

My mods are few: I've got a ID1000 injectors (for E85), "Sachs 2.5" clutch (for drivetrain robustness), Tubi exhaust (sound and power), 964RS engine mounts (for massively improved rear chassis feel), and a DSC suspension controller (for much better suspension control). Other than the engine mounts and DSC, I bought my car with the aforementioned mods and with a COBB tuner including off-the-shelf tunes for 1000cc injectors (California crap gas tune, 91, and 93) and a two custom tunes for my car (93 and E85) -- I forget who did the custom tunes, it's not one of the regulars here. When I got the car it was fueled with E85 and had straight pipes and was a monster -- the seller claimed it dyno'd 630 to the wheels (~725-750hp crank), and I believe him -- four-wheel-spin in 3rd gear was a real thing. More than anything though, the loud pipes were too much for me and the driving I do, so I replaced them with the Tubi exhaust. I was having trouble getting the OBD readiness on the E85 tune so had to revert to the Cobb 91 tune to pass emissions. After passing emissions, I switched to the custom 93 tune and have really enjoyed the car at that power level. I'd estimate that it's ~600hp crank, which is plenty fast. If I knew I was going to be doing some 1/4 mile racing, I'd switch over to E85 for bragging rights, but for a daily driven street car, the 93 is easier to live with (and doesn't make may car smell like moonshine at startup).

Potential future mods:
- intercoolers and intake hoses (either DO88 for both, or 997.2 ICs and DO88 hoses) for more/cooler air
- redone custom tune -- while my tune is good, it could probably be better, and would need to be redone if I did the ICs and intake hoses
- GT2 clutch slave and/or Kevin's hybrid clutch solution -- the "Sachs 2.5" clutch is a fussy bish. It's very difficult to do an aggressive launch smoothly. It's fine once underway, but the engagement point is very high and narrow and generally unlike any other car I've owned/driven.
- Maybe a bigger rear sway bar because everyone on RL says to get one, but honestly, I probably don't need it for the street