Advice Needed: Turbo Leaking Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 03:08 AM
cjoy911
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice Needed: Turbo Leaking Coolant

Hi All,

Before I tear the car apart, wanted to run this by someone. I have a small coolant leak on the passenger side turbo. I determined it's coolant due to the color of the fluid. I say it's small because when sitting parked, it only develops a few drops a day. A bigger puddle of coolant occurs when the car is parked after a drive and when it's cooling down. Doesn't seem to drip while running, weird.

I'm confident that the leak is coming from the coolant inlet or outlet pipes going to the turbo. I don't think the leak is coming from anywhere above the turbo, all dry up there. The advice I'm seeking is what is the best way to remove the coolant inlet and outlet pipes going to the turbo? I want to get in there to check and replace the o-rings. I found and contacted a forum member that had the same issue on another thread (link here). He just pried them off resulting in bending the pipes a little. Hesitant to do this because the coolant pipes are metal and afraid to damage it. This the best way to go about it?

I believe the coolant inlet pipe is #2, and the coolant outlet pipe is #3. Is #1 the oil supply line?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:09 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd get a borescope in there after a hoon and verify 100% that it's coming from where you suspect before doing anything.

Can't give any advice on removing pipes, sorry about that. Am sure someone here can though as I assume you need to when removing the turbos.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:25 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

best way to get those lines off with out bending them is to remove the turbo, replace the o rings and reinstall.

removing the turbo is not a hard job. just takes some time in you have never done it before

Where are you located?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:58 AM
cjoy911
Advanced

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'd get a borescope in there after a hoon and verify 100% that it's coming from where you suspect before doing anything.

Can't give any advice on removing pipes, sorry about that. Am sure someone here can though as I assume you need to when removing the turbos.
thanks for the advice, I’ll try and see if I can borrow a borescope from someone. Just confident it’s coming from the turbo because I don’t see any other place coolant can be leaking from.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:01 PM
cjoy911
Advanced

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
best way to get those lines off with out bending them is to remove the turbo, replace the o rings and reinstall.

removing the turbo is not a hard job. just takes some time in you have never done it before

Where are you located?
i did consider removing the turbos but never done it before. Located in Northern California. Anything special I need to know before removing turbos? I also told myself if turbos need to come out, I’m upgrading them, heh.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM
atm4jim
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm pretty confident it's leaking from the coolant o-ring as it's the same exact symptoms as was mine. I agree, if the turbo is coming out, I would consider upgrading as well.

Either way, it was a lot of work to replace a $2 part. You may want to replace plugs and coil at the same time if it's due.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:54 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoy911

i did consider removing the turbos but never done it before. Located in Northern California. Anything special I need to know before removing turbos? I also told myself if turbos need to come out, I’m upgrading them, heh.
yeah nothing really special needed. hand tools and a set of torx and inverted torx sockets

if you need the step by step just let me know
Old 12-28-2018, 02:57 PM
cjoy911
Advanced

Originally Posted by atm4jim
I'm pretty confident it's leaking from the coolant o-ring as it's the same exact symptoms as was mine. I agree, if the turbo is coming out, I would consider upgrading as well.

Either way, it was a lot of work to replace a $2 part. You may want to replace plugs and coil at the same time if it's due.
Definitely researching on how to do plugs and coils. Not due yet, but if I'm already in there (and getting ready for some custom tuning), might as well.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:20 PM
cjoy911
Advanced

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
yeah nothing really special needed. hand tools and a set of torx and inverted torx sockets

if you need the step by step just let me know
Tools, check. If you have a step by step you can share, I would greatly appreciate it. I think I know what I need to remove to get the turbos out, but a guide would definitely make the process smoother. The only concern i'm seeing is reaching that bolt holding down pipe #1 in my photo. Looks really hard to reach, maybe easier if turbo heat shield is removed and coming in from that side?

Upgrading turbos so tempting since i'm this far in it already.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:18 PM
cjoy911
Advanced

Went ahead and tried removing the coolant and oil lines without removing the turbo, and it was fine. There is actually some flexibility in the lines although they are metal. I was initially afraid of bending them, but there is definitely some play in them.

As suspected, the o-rings were brittle. After removal, they were discolored. O-rings are typically black, they were green in color. When prying them off, they did not come out in one piece. Instead, they tore apart. Compare to the o-rings from the oil lines which are black in color, still flexible, and came out in one piece. I have o-rings on order from the local Porsche dealership, should be here next week.

During the removal of the coolant lines, lost some coolant. Will have to add more. Anyone know how to bleed or burp the system? My next concern is getting all the air out of the system. After searching a bit, it looks like the easiest way is to maybe just run the engine until the radiator fan kicks on and open the breather valve (which I'm still trying to figure out)?

Thanks.

coolant lines out

discolored and brittle o-rings

coolant orings tore apart, oil o-rings still soft (the 2 right most)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:42 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

They make green o rings it dictates the material used. Make sure the replacement are compatible with the coolant when purchasing replacements outside of Porsche.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:05 AM
cjoy911
Advanced

Originally Posted by TBarrow
They make green o rings it dictates the material used. Make sure the replacement are compatible with the coolant when purchasing replacements outside of Porsche.
cool, learned something new. Getting the o rings from Porsche dealership and using Porsche coolant, should be compatible.

still searching for proper way to bleed or burp coolant system though.

thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 12-30-2018, 02:29 PM
cjoy911
Advanced

awesome, thanks, seems easy enough. It says to run the engine but don’t let it get too hot at first to bleed the cooling system, reservoir cap off and bleed valve open. Didn’t know that. Then cap reservoir and get engine hot while bleed valve is open. Afterwards open reservoir cap and fill as needed. Then get engine hot again and let it cool down, while bleed valve is open I believe. Then open reservoir cap and fill as needed when cool.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:36 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Be very careful opening expansion tank cap. Open it very slowly with a big thick cloth around it & gloves, skin/eye protection etc

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: Turbo Leaking Coolant