Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyers remorse with 997TT purchase?; looking for opinions/experience. Long post.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Emmasdream
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buyers remorse with 997TT purchase?; looking for opinions/experience. Long post.

This is hard to admit, but I have a unsatisfied feeling with my 997TT that won’t go away and wanted to get the opinion of folks who have owned a number of other cars. In theory it always seems like the perfect car and so perhaps it’s just a grass is greener type of thing. This is going to be long, so apologies, but I’m really looking for advice so if you take the time to read and give me feedback, I really appreciate it.

I bought an ’09 997TT Cab about 2 years ago as a retirement present for myself. The deal with my wife was that any bonus’s from work would go into my car fund and I could use that pot to buy my “dream car”. This pot ended up being around 100k; in theory this is my car fund forever (taxes/registration costs come out of this), so part of my goal was to minimize depreciation.

I love cars. I love the mechanical nature of them, the design of them, the heritage, the sound and the feeling of driving open road with wind in your hair. I do not care at all about the “status” nature of them and hate the feeling of pulling up to a store/restaurant in a “fancy car”. But I do like special things and feeling a “connoisseur”.

The requirements for this retirement/dream car was: 4 seats (for small kids in back), manual and convertible. My first sports car was a 987 Boxster S (with aftermarket exhaust) which I loved loved loved. Sounded amazing, handled amazing, and I never felt unsafe in it. But didn't blow me away in a pull. Upgrading to a 997TT as my retirement car was an obvious choice in theory. I’ve always been a Porsche geek (career as mechanical engineer) and know everything you can know about the history, design and evolution of the models/brand.

My rationale for a 997TT was:
1. I loved the design of 911’s since I was a kid. I didn’t like the lights of the 996, and the 991 felt too much like our Macan and too roomy. The 997 felt like a small mechanical Germany sports car - it felt perfect. I appreciate design and everything was right.
2. Within the 997 family, the base and S seemed common. I like special and exotic and I liked that the TT was more rare/special. The 2009 kept the Mezger but combined it with the more modern PCM 3.0 (The PCM 2.1 in the 987 was an eyesore to me), so that was the perfect year and I liked the racing heritage story of the engine. Finally I never wanted a flashy car that people would gawk at, so the understated nature of the 09TT was perfect - and I appreciate when someone knew what it was.
3. Finally, as it was more special/rarer, I felt it would hold value better than a 997S and thus maximize my “car slush fund”. If/when I turned it over, I would take the least depreciation hit.
4. And I guess it’s worth mentioning - I liked that it was fast. With the 987S, when you floored it, it moved, but it wasn’t crazy speed. I liked that the turbo was lightspeed acceleration. Or at least I thought I did. Never knew there was too fast. But in test drives, when I'd go on a highway, it was amazing.

But the problem I’ve realized is I never really test drove it much. Sure I drove one for 30 minutes during 2 different test drive, but that’s not enough to know a car.

However now that I’ve had it for 2 years, and spent plenty of time in the cockpit, two things bother me.
  1. It doesn’t sound amazing. I never knew I cared much about this, but I loved they way the 987S sounded. And recently we had a loaner 2018 Macan with sport exhaust (I know its 4 cylinder + turbo), but my god it sounded amazing to me. I loved rev’ing it up and hearing the exhaust note. Perhaps this could be fixed with an aftermarket exhaust.
  2. As crazy as it is to say: the car is too fast. I live in hill country - most of the drives I go on are windy country roads. I’m an extremely conservative and gun-shy driver. I’m terrified of hitting a deer on the road, cyclist or god forbid some kid running out. Or even just getting pulled over for being 3x the speed limit. When trying to enjoy a spirited drive in this thing, that means I’m either accelerating on straightaways with great visibility and then immediately braking when I come to the corner, or just ho-humming at 60 mph through turns because it’s safe, but the car is dead at that speed.
But the car is beautiful! And special! And accelerates like a bat out of hell which is fun sometimes. Hence I’m conflicted. So I’m not sure if there is no perfect car for me, (N+1 as they say in the bike world) or where I should be looking. Some options I’ve considered:
  1. Downgrading to a 997S. Gives me safer/more comfortable cruising speed and an exhaust note. Less special, but I'd rather enjoy what I have for my relaxing Sunday drives. Easy to convince the wife because it won’t cost more. Would I miss the speed?
  2. 964 targa/cab. Probably looking at the 50k range (to leave room for repairs). Not sure what that gets me yet, but know air-cool is the flavor of the decade so feel like I’m buying high. Would definitely address the safer cruising speed and engine note. But not sure if its there are modern features that I won’t realize I miss until I’m stuck with a 25 year old car. Love the looks though - classic.
  3. 993 Cab - similar points as above. Feels like more of a market high buying point. Don’t love how it looks with top down. But slightly more modern.
  4. 911 Cab/Targa (SC, 3.2). Similar points as above. But do not want to buy into a money pit, especially since I'm not working anymore.
Does anyone have experience and could compare a 997TT experience with the above options? Especially the pre 1995 options. Anything else I could consider? A 981 Spyder checks almost all the boxes except the 4 seater, same as some of the old Ferrari's I've sometimes considered (328/355). But I like keeping it in the Porsche family.

Thanks for all the opinions. Here’s a pic of the beauty we’re talking about:

Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 PM
brucejoanne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 997.2 (2011) TT. I felt the same way about the sound. I added the all 3 inch pipe Speedtech exhaust without the mufflers. Completely enhanced the sound and now it sounds like a Porsche. The turbos muffle the sound down to almost nothing, that's why eliminating the mufflers is the right thing to do. Now that it has the right sound, I find there is no need to get on it all the time - it sounds great at normal driving. You have a beautiful car - just talk to John at Speedtech Exhaust in NH. He is a Rennlist Vendor - great guy and great products.

Bruce Matthews in Scottsdale, AZ
Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I just sold mine, but the memories are fresh. On acceleration, it's faster than I need. I prefer a naturally aspirated engine and broader power band, but the thrill between 3200-6800 RPM's was still fun. On sound, that never bothered me. My only strong, vocal complaint was the stock clutch assembly, which was terrible - soft, high catch, unpredictable - literally worst clutch I've ever felt in the nicest car I've ever owned. Had I not found and installed the BBi slave + GT3 spring, I would've sold the car within months of owning it.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:47 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great Thread as I am currently looking to buy a 2007-2013 TT. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Riptide
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting.......2 years ago I added my “dream car” in a 2010 TTS. I knew the owner for a number of years and had given him my
card and said “ call me when”. Simply an amazing car. But there was no place for me to DRIVE it. While it’s not as congested as SoCal
here, it take forever to get someplace that you could make the car breathe hard. Stupid,crazy fast car. I ended up selling it to a guy I met
at Werks in Amelia. I kept the 997S I already had and am glad I did. Quick, fun and usable.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

With all due respect you say “I’m an extremely conservative and gun shy driver” then ask “would I miss the speed?”. Sell it, drive a 964, drive a 993, drive a 997 Carrera, then decide. Only you can decide which floats your boat. Buying a car based upon the opinions of others is folly.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
I just sold mine, but the memories are fresh. On acceleration, it's faster than I need. I prefer a naturally aspirated engine and broader power band, but the thrill between 3200-6800 RPM's was still fun. On sound, that never bothered me. My only strong, vocal complaint was the stock clutch assembly, which was terrible - soft, high catch, unpredictable - literally worst clutch I've ever felt in the nicest car I've ever owned. Had I not found and installed the BBi slave + GT3 spring, I would've sold the car within months of owning it.
I recently purchased a low mileage 207 997tt and like you found the clutch action disappointing. I'd appreciate your feedback on the "feel" and of the BBI system as well as the total cost (parts/labor) to install? Any downsides?

Thx.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

I enjoyed the long post. I appreciate the dilemma. My 997TT is my third 911. My first was a 1982 911 SC with an aftermarket exhaust, Weber carbs and a whale tail. Since it was my first, it always has a special place. I lived in east TN and thoroughly enjoyed driving through the curvy hilly roads, hugging every corner and then punching it on the short straightaways. It sounded great, it looked great and it was a blast to drive.

My second was a 2002 996 with a speedtech x-pipe and tune, lowered, spacers, great after market stereo, decked out. It was a huge performance upgrade and handling upgrade over the 911 SC. I liked the sound better and loved the body style too, except the headlights. All in all, the acceleration and handling performance were just not enough for me. Therefore, it was time for an upgrade.

I test drove a 997, 997S and a 996 turbo before deciding on the 997TT. These cars only provided an incremental improvement in performance, whereas the 997 TT was a quantum leap.

My 997TT is 2008 with a GMG exhaust. I really missed having a Bluetooth connection, so I recently did the LA power conversion and it works like a charm. I have no other modifications. I love the acceleration, the plush ride and the body style. Like you, I’m an engineer, and pretty conservative by nature, so I only accelerate for short periods where it is safe for me and for the public. Although I have the after market exhaust, it still does not sound as good as my 996 or my 911SC. Sound is important and a car’s sound should be proportionate to its look and performance capability. The 997 TT is superior to my other cars in every way, except the sound, as well as almost every other car on the road. I enjoy having a more exclusive car that accelerates like a bat out of hell. Out of all of these characteristics, acceleration is near the top for me. This is the same reason I have two stroke motorcycles, the thrill of the pull is exhilarating.

So my recommendation to you would be to keep your current beautiful car and make some modifications, with the first being the exhaust. Tweak it until you get it to where you want it and get as much out of it as you can. Then if you are still not happy, downgrade to a car that has all the options you want.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:11 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Sell it to me and get a 2013-2014 Carrera S cab!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:34 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Like many on this forum we've owned several Porsches. You have one of the finest. Keep it. Rent or hang out with friends and test drive others. IMHO you'll only be disappointed if you "down grade." There are a multitude of exhaust choices available; simply search this forum. Like user brucejoanne, I installed a SpeedTech 3.0 X-pipe, and this was my first modification. In fact, I had the new exhaust system on my bench two months before the car arrived. Change the exhaust, you'll be happy. Don't sell the car.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:59 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lflouie
I recently purchased a low mileage 207 997tt and like you found the clutch action disappointing. I'd appreciate your feedback on the "feel" and of the BBI system as well as the total cost (parts/labor) to install? Any downsides?

Thx.
Try searching in this forum - I've posted a few times on it. Believe I did it in Spring of 2016 or 2017 - can't recall offhand. If you just can't find it, PM me.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:22 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Wow...interesting post...All I can say is everybody has a personal/subjective view/feel of "fast". I just bought my first ever P car in August and it was a 20K mileage 6 spd MT OEM 2007 911 Turbo. I had just sold a scooter that weighed under 400 lbs and had over 200 H.P. (and I had some pretty extensive 2 wheeled track experience in my younger days...I have raced at Daytona) so the 997 TT didn't strike me as crazy fast but with a MT it was certainly the fastest revving car I had ever driven and had my full attention with how quickly she needed to be shifted when driven in anger. Plus the AWD was a new experience for me that has taken me some time for my butt/brain to understand. Having said all that I am really enjoying the 997 TT driving/ownership experience and just wrapped up a "big" Turbo build that I should have back next week (The 93 tune is done and the E85 tune was "near perfect" today...YES!!!) with ~700WHP on E85 and ~600+WHP on 93, which will be really cool I think. As the old saying goes, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so are one's car choices...just get something that blows your skirt up. If it was me, I really think your 997 TT Cab looks sweet and I'd keep it. p.s. I actually really like the OEM clutch action; a small window of grab so I just ignore the rest of the fulcrum movement and worry about the business end, where I agree it requires precision, which to me is a welcome challenge. I've said it before, but I haven't stalled it yet and I figure if I can get a TZ250 off the starting grid without stalling it I can find a way to do the same in any clutched vehicle.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 12-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:42 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by lflouie

Thx.
I upgraded to the BBI. I've also posted about it in more detail, but in short:
  • Clutch feel is greatly improved; it totally eliminates the vagueness of the stock clutch
  • Even with the GT3 assist spring, which is essential IMO, it's quite heavy. I'm not sure I'd want it if I were commuting, but for a weekend car it's well worth it for the better feel.
  • If you do this upgrade, it's essential to also replace your master cylinder, and make absolutely certain all pentosin fluid is flushed from the system. I would also recommend swapping out the rubber hydraulic line from master to slave with a braided stainless one from EVOMS or someone. I am one of several who had issues with lines swelling and such due to (presumably) contamination from old pentosin, even after repeated flushes.
  • You might also consider one of the GT2 conversion kits, as much of the simplicity/cost benefit of the BBI is gone once you add in the master, hydraulic line, and assist spring.
I'd say if you're unhappy with the stock clutch it is worth it though, as long as you don't mind a bit of a heavy clutch.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:47 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

To the OP, an exhaust can definitely improve the auditory experience. Here's a video I made of before and after with my Kline 2.5":
. Not too loud or aftermarket sounding; just sounds better.

As far as the speed, if you do decide to keep it, maybe get an aftermarket tune, and turn the boost down for normal mode? In fact, you could set it up so it comes on more progressively, so you don't feel the lag and big Turbo shove—have it drive more like a normally aspirated car, just with a bit more at the top-end. Then give it full beans in sport mode, so when you're in the mood to really have it throw you back in your seat, you've got that option too. Might almost feel like having two different cars!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:35 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

First, the best exhaust for this model is the Europipe period, make no mistake about this. I had another competitors and it just bothered me so much aesthetically and the droning drove me crazy! You will spend unnecessary cash and eventually sell your exhaust. If you don’t believe the opinion, I have several words. Search for “Europipe” for sale. Please post here when it’s is found. You will fall in love with the sound!

Quick Reply: Buyers remorse with 997TT purchase?; looking for opinions/experience. Long post.