Child seats in 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM
b1x
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Child seats in 997 Turbo

Hi all,

I tested out the fit of my kids seats in my 997 in case I ever choose to use them (took the kids for a little road trip and around town for a weekend and the seats came out , only to be used on a as needed basis if ever)

Hope this is helpful!

I tried both brands of seats we have, the Diono Radian XT work the best.
They fit best by removing the back seats. This also gives the kids the most room
Also used a towel under the seats to level them well
Old 12-06-2018, 06:32 PM
b1x
Advanced

Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

FWIW I tried the Diono Radian XT in a 997tt cab and it fit very poorly. (Also with the seat back and bottom removed.) The cab doesn't have the rear tether that the coupe has, which makes it more difficult to get a good fit. Also be careful leveling with towels, since they can compress and allow the seat to shift in a crash. (It may well work fine in the coupe though, since the seat back angle is different and it has that tether.)

I got a good, secure fit with the Britax Boulevard Clicktight, but it is quite large; the front seat needs to be pretty far forward. Looking forward to when both kids are big enough for boosters!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a good used one of these. It's the best forward fitting child seat for the back of a 911 and fits kids from 20lbs with the impact cushion to 55lbs:

Dan
Old 12-06-2018, 07:00 PM
b1x
Advanced

Originally Posted by dprantl
Find a good used one of these. It's the best forward fitting child seat for the back of a 911 and fits kids from 20lbs with the impact cushion to 55lbs:

Dan
This is the Porsche seat correct ? If so, I was told by Porsche parts dept its not available in Canada, I tired to get them and was suprised for it not to be available
Old 12-06-2018, 10:25 PM
tbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You shouldn't use towels underneath as mentioned above.

Frontier clicktight works really well for those requiring 5 point harness. If it's just the belt itself then there are a few options out there - looks like radian works fine for that purpose, but again, watch the towels...
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I saw a Grey coupe with Factory Aero that had 2 car seats in the back.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b1x
This is the Porsche seat correct ? If so, I was told by Porsche parts dept its not available in Canada, I tired to get them and was suprised for it not to be available
Yes it is a Porsche seat, but an older one. They don't sell those anymore which is why I suggested to find them used. I'm in the US and got mine on craigslist. Sometimes they come up for sale here: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...0154589-a.html

Dan
Old 12-09-2018, 04:18 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I just gave my long unused Porsche seat (as above) to my grown son for my granddaughter. He doesn't have a Porsche, but I always felt that seat was very safe. If I still had it, I would have sold it cheap. Yes, I think they do come up for sale now and then (useless after a few years for most folks). You might also set up a carefully worded permanent search on eBay (they will email you if any matches come up); I have a large collection of art from a specific Japanese artist, and I'm pretty sure I've never missed a listing for many years for his work.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

dprantl,

Did you buy that from me? If so, glad to see you are putting it to good use. Looks fantastic. Don't forget, as your little one grows, the halo section can be adjusted to accommodate increases in their height.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:45 AM
turb0
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbuff

Frontier clicktight works really well for those requiring 5 point harness. If it's just the belt itself then there are a few options out there - looks like radian works fine for that purpose, but again, watch the towels...
any pics and tips for the frontier clicktight install?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by tbuff

I'm surprised to hear that. I have Frontier Clicktights in my other car, and I've test fit them in the 997; for me they didn't fit at all. The seat was so wide it binds against the sides of the seat bucket and leaves a large (several inches) gap below the bottom in the middle. That is with the seat bottom and back out though; maybe it would fit better if you left those in?

Boulevard Clicktight fit well for me as it's smaller than the Frontier; I'm planning to graduate from that into a Harmony Dreamtime 2 booster. (Looks like those aren't sold anymore, but there should be a lot of narrow, high-back boosters that will work.)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:41 PM
turb0
Advanced

Default Diono 3R

I tried the Diono 3R, and I cannot secure it well enough, plus the metal belt guide on the upper corners need to wrapped as it will the potential to damage the vehicle interior.

Quick Reply: Child seats in 997 Turbo