Sponsored by:

scheduled maintenance - low mile 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:06 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default scheduled maintenance - low mile 997

fellow 997 turbo owners , soon i will be visiting my dealer for "annual service - turn off service message ". have owned my 2013 turbo s since new. i took delivery jan 2013. current mileage is 12,500 miles. 2400 miles were highway trips of 600 miles or so round trip. other 10,000 miles easy suburban trips with very little stop and go traffic. every year it goes to dealer for oil / filter change -the interval is about 2500 miles . brake fluid change every other year. that's about it except for a new battery under warranty. now for my question - after last service at 9772 miles note was attached to work order "due for major service due to age ". looking over items for major service 2 stand out : "check drive belt " and "REPLACE SPARK PLUGS ". after reading up on whats involved in changing the plugs (drop or lower engine ) i question if this is necessary on a car with my mileage ? maintenance book says 30,000 miles or 4 years. would appreciate your thoughts. thanks, dan
Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Bought a CPO turbo S recently with 12k miles.

They did all necessary services to make it cpo.

airfilter
oil filter
brake flush
coolant flush
battery
2 tires.

Ive asked multiple dealers about sparkplugs, all would say wait atleast 25k miles.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Porsche has written that it wants the Spark plugs replaced AT the 4 year mark.. Due to possible thread pulling issues with the plug and cylinder heads.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:17 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Bought a CPO turbo S recently with 12k miles.

They did all necessary services to make it cpo.

airfilter
oil filter
brake flush
coolant flush
battery
2 tires.

Ive asked multiple dealers about sparkplugs, all would say wait atleast 25k miles.
thanks for your input, seems like a good plan / compromise . i'll probably do the same . however take a look at kevin's post about plugs seizing due to time.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:21 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
Porsche has written that it wants the Spark plugs replaced AT the 4 year mark.. Due to possible thread pulling issues with the plug and cylinder heads.
kevin thanks for your reply , wonder if this is a problem with "newer " cars ? seems like a lot of effort at 12000 miles. dan (bellevue )
Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Normally you will see a time or mileage limit on maintenance items. Time (weather, etc) can have just as much a detrimental effect as mileage for some items. For the plugs, based on Kevin's post, it sounds like the plugs can get welded to the head ripping out the threads.

I can tell you from personal experience last night on my '08 Audi S6, that there are certain items that should be on those lists, namely the upper control arm pinch bolts. No rust, looks clean as a whistle, but the combination of moisture, steel and aluminum causes a reaction where the metals weld to each other. MAP heat, cutting, breaker bars, air hammers, PB Blaster, lots of washers and the thing is out in several pieces (better than the other side I did a couple of years ago from the factory where I had to drill it out - once out I used a copper based anti-seize). This one the dealer did a few years ago with no anti-seize. It's part of my annual maintenance now. Audi hasn;t checked with me to update their maintenance lists though.

Ed
Old 12-06-2018, 04:14 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dz997 tts
thanks for your input, seems like a good plan / compromise . i'll probably do the same . however take a look at kevin's post about plugs seizing due to time.
You can do it and it wont hurt. But I am comfortable waiting. Never had a spark plug seizing.

The car probably has a higher chance of getting a flat tire than to have sparkplug seize.

Its a recommendation from all manufacturers.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Actually Porsche re-addressed the spark plug issue due to "failures" Low mile cars were the issue which never reached the mileage.
This is like the coolant fitting failures.. It never happens to you or the tech at the shop UNTIL IT DOES..
It's the HEAT >extreme heat from the VNT turbochargers. Combustion chamber temps and backpressure.
4 to 5 years is good.. 6 years is a stretch..
Old 12-06-2018, 05:11 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did my plugs and coil packs @ 52k on my 2010 tt because it was misfiring. Car wasn't throwing any codes. Plugs looked good and the coil packs did too once I got them out. Not sure which one was causing the problem but one of them was. I suspect the coil packs. To answer one of your questions, you don't need to drop the motor to replace the plugs or coil packs. But, there were some tight squeezes in there and some swearing involved to get things to come out. I decided to replace both my plugs and coil packs at the same time since I didn't want to go through all of that twice. If I were you, I would consider replacing the coil packs too when you do the plugs since they aren't too expensive and you are already going to all of the trouble to get to the plugs. Coil packs seem to have a fairly high failure rate in general.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by gmsracing
I just did my plugs and coil packs @ 52k on my 2010 tt because it was misfiring. Car wasn't throwing any codes. Plugs looked good and the coil packs did too once I got them out. Not sure which one was causing the problem but one of them was. I suspect the coil packs. To answer one of your questions, you don't need to drop the motor to replace the plugs or coil packs. But, there were some tight squeezes in there and some swearing involved to get things to come out. I decided to replace both my plugs and coil packs at the same time since I didn't want to go through all of that twice. If I were you, I would consider replacing the coil packs too when you do the plugs since they aren't too expensive and you are already going to all of the trouble to get to the plugs. Coil packs seem to have a fairly high failure rate in general.
Was just going to post the same thought...I completely agree. As for 5 or 6 year old plugs in a TT low mileage car, I would have them replaced.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 AM
07 Turbo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low Mileage How To??

Actually Porsche re-addressed the spark plug issue due to "failures" Low mile cars were the issue which never reached the mileage.
This is like the coolant fitting failures.. It never happens to you or the tech at the shop UNTIL IT DOES..
It's the HEAT >extreme heat from the VNT turbochargers. Combustion chamber temps and backpressure.
4 to 5 years is good.. 6 years is a stretch..
So if a 997.1 with 11,500 miles, what would be the best process to change the plugs for the first time?😢
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ DIY or having someone do it?

If DIY, just follow the TheRocks/DC tutorial on how to do it. I've done it twice now on my 997.1, not a bad job.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...eedonline.html

Otherwise, I'd expect this job to be at least 1200 at a dealer, inc. parts & labor. Less at an indy.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTop (02-01-2022)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:24 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

lovely, sounds like a ford modular problem, 3mm of thread in the head and 20 mm on the plug.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

For the first time in 30 years of owning 3 Porsches, I did the "due to time" minor maintenance.

Just not driving enough.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:48 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do dealerships roughly charge to replace the coils and plugs on a Turbo? Thinking about changing from my 2011 GT3 to a 997 TT.

Quick Reply: scheduled maintenance - low mile 997