Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Charger path?

Old 11-27-2018, 02:08 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery Charger path?

While using the Porsche battery charger in a closed garage, I currently have a car side window partially down to create a small space at the top of the door to run the charger to the cigarette lighter, with the car's doors locked. In order to keep foreign stuff (such as dust, insects, and possibly rodents) from coming thought the opened window, can I run the charger's cord over the door sill and close the door over the cord without damaging the cord itself or any part of the car? Or is there a better path that should be taken, and if so, what is that path (besides selling the Porsche and not dealing with this )???
Old 11-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Nate2046
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

I wired the quick connect plug that came with my charger directly to the battery. It can fit through the gap at the top of the frunk/bottom of the windshield for an easy connection when charging and tuck down out of sight while not in use. Very convenient.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:30 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

That sounds like a great solution if I only had the quick connect plug to the battery, but I don't. Any other viable options (besides getting the quick connect plug to the battery)???
Old 11-27-2018, 02:45 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I use a ctek plugged into the passenger footwell outlet and route the cord out the door over footwell. I keep the door closed and windows up, it's been almost 2 years and it doesn't seem to damage the cord.

If you do look in the foot well/sill you will see a little notch there, I believe this is specifically there for this purpose.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:12 PM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There are actually specially designed spots to run the cord on both 996 and 997 (and likely other Porsches as well). On the 997, on the left hand side as you face the drivers door, just as the door begins to sweep upward, there is an area that has some slits cut in the rubber (if you didn't know better you might think someone damaged your seal). You run the cable where these slits are and close the door so it aligns with the location of these slits. On a 996, rather than slits there is an approximate half circle of rubber cut out and then you run the cable in the area of the cut out. I have been running my maintainers through these locations for years, with no door seal or maintainer cord issues.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:58 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

AP328, thank you very much! It took me three attempts in finding the slit cuts in the rubber. Just what I wanted. This forum is amazing!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM
TxTurboBill
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AP328
There are actually specially designed spots to run the cord on both 996 and 997 (and likely other Porsches as well). On the 997, on the left hand side as you face the drivers door, just as the door begins to sweep upward, there is an area that has some slits cut in the rubber (if you didn't know better you might think someone damaged your seal). You run the cable where these slits are and close the door so it aligns with the location of these slits. On a 996, rather than slits there is an approximate half circle of rubber cut out and then you run the cable in the area of the cut out. I have been running my maintainers through these locations for years, with no door seal or maintainer cord issues.
Wow great info thanks! I've been opening the Frunk lid each time I plug into my battery mounted maintainer plug.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 PM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, no problem. That's part of what these forums are about. I was at a PCA meeting last night and we were discussing this post with some very experienced Porsche owners, and no one seemed to know about this. Perhaps Porsche could do a better job of making this clearer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Charger path?