Sponsored by:

Non-Running 997tt PPI

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:42 PM
ctglass
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Running 997tt PPI

I am in the process of purchasing a 2009 997tt project build that has been underway with the current owner for some time. It is my understanding the vehicle has not run in several years, and potentially not since 2010-2011. As the vehicle is not running, I do not have the ability to take it to a dealer for a thorough PPI - but will be inspecting it myself prior to purchase. I have already factored maintenance costs into my offer, but want to make sure I check for everything I can before finalizing the deal. So I am looking for any input on what to check for, VIN match, rust, overall condition, etc. Any other major points to review would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:13 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

If you know its not running, the only thing that matters to me atleast is hows the paint/body condition.

I will assume this is a branded car or with a major history why it is not running.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:54 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Sounds like a scary purchase... A Porsche that has not run since it was 12-24 months old just sounds so odd to me. The fact that it has sat for another 7-8 years is so tough to understand.... Someone spent $150K on it in 2009 and then just let it sit when it was basically brand new.... Best of luck, I hope it turns out for you.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:24 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by ctglass
I am in the process of purchasing a 2009 997tt project build that has been underway with the current owner for some time. It is my understanding the vehicle has not run in several years, and potentially not since 2010-2011. As the vehicle is not running, I do not have the ability to take it to a dealer for a thorough PPI - but will be inspecting it myself prior to purchase. I have already factored maintenance costs into my offer, but want to make sure I check for everything I can before finalizing the deal. So I am looking for any input on what to check for, VIN match, rust, overall condition, etc. Any other major points to review would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Reminds me of when I bought a V8 Jet Boat once in my younger years. It was not running but the owner (a Deputy Sheriff) assured me it had been recently. I had a buddy look at it with me who knew a lot more about boats then I did at the time and he said everything looked good (the boat was pristine) but that since it was not running I should assume the engine was blown and needed a major rebuild. I bought the boat and sure enough turned out it had a spun rod bearing with some significant internal damage. Lesson learned. So I would make an offer that assumes the worst.

So what is the mileage? Do all the electronics come up when you turn the key? Does the engine turn over (assuming the oil is intact)? What is the explanation for why the car does not start?
Old 11-06-2018, 03:53 PM
ctglass
Intermediate

Thanks all, the vehicle was in a collision in late 2010 with the original owner. Front passenger impact to a utility pole. Vehicle was listed as disabled and towed to a dealer where it was eventually sold so the original owner could get a brand new 911. The title status is still clean and it was eventually sold to owner number two.

That current owner has had it for the last 8 years and the mileage has not changed. Total mileage still sits under 8000 miles total, but the electronics do come up and mileage can be confirmed. He originally planned to repair the vehicle and make extensive upgrades, but gave up about 80% of the way through. After the original collision damage was repaired, he claims to have taken it through the gears and test drove it on side streets, but again the mileage didn't change.

It has since sat disassembled waiting for the project to be completed. As I understand it the motor has never been dropped, but the cooling and braking systems were disassembled during the process.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me, I wouldn't buy it without getting to the car and attempting to start/run the engine to listen to it. It sounds like only the cooling system has been "disassembled" that prevents it from running, so that shouldn't be too hard to re-assemble IMO. If the story is really true, the most probable worst case scenario is the engine has a blown headgasket from overheating due to running too long with insufficient coolant.

Dan
Old 11-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I bet for the price that thing is a steal. I would be all over that car.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the price?

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 AM
ctglass
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Catorce
I bet for the price that thing is a steal. I would be all over that car.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the price?
I am flying out to the west coast tomorrow to review the vehicle and hopefully finalize the sale. Happy to share more specifics and pricing at that time, but yes hoping I am getting a good deal considering the risk.

From my research, a clean title 2009 manual Turbo can go from anywhere between $85K-$105K depending on mileage, options, etc. Considering this vehicle has a clean title and low mileage (<8K), but does have one collision on record - any thoughts on what the vehicle may be worth in current condition? Trying to understand the line between decent price and great deal. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Catorce
Banned

Does it currently have collision damage or is that all handled?

My guess on a disassembled car with NO collision damage - Anything under 50K is a steal.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 AM
ctglass
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Catorce
Does it currently have collision damage or is that all handled?

My guess on a disassembled car with NO collision damage - Anything under 50K is a steal.
All damage was repaired back to stock, but before it was repainted, a custom widebody was added to mimic the RSR with new bumpers, fenders, decklid etc. So remaining work is to reassemble (mostly just front radiators) and get it running after maintenance, then paint.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Catorce
Banned

Well therein lies the rub. I get that you are trying to protect your find, but more and more details keep coming out that make the thing less desirable. Really, to go further, we would need to see some pictures.

I LOVE custom body mods. One of my turbos has a Techart body kit from when it was almost new. But those sorts of mods RARELY increase the value; in fact they usually hurt the value. All of which can play into your hands if you are the right buyer.

If the whole car needs a paint job, probably it's a 30K car in my mind but again, I would have to see what the body kit looks like. Some are hideous!
Old 11-07-2018, 01:24 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Value of a repaired but previously totaled 2009?
Does the buyer/seller of such vehicle intend to disclose the scope of repairs/prior damage?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:28 PM
ctglass
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Does the buyer/seller of such vehicle intend to disclose the scope of repairs/prior damage?
I wouldn't consider the vehicle totaled, certainly no frame damage and the title is clean. But the front bumper, passenger fender and door were replaced. I do have photos of the repair and have confirmed everything was repaired top notch.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:54 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
+1000
Old 11-07-2018, 03:13 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd be all over this. If the chassis is sound and the body mods are well made and fitted I'd buy it and hoon it for as long as I could.

Quick Reply: Non-Running 997tt PPI