Sponsored by:

My Turbo Build Engine is back in the Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
I run the fabspeed intakes on my car and have for multiple years now. It's been logged many times and custom tuned accordingly. Trust me, the fabspeed cones are pulling in significant enough air. I have no empirical facts between the open form of the fabspeed versus stock enclosed version. I've driven mine in the rain and after washing it with absolutely no misfire issues. Some get wrapped up with the pulling in more heated air perception. To your point with the car moving with fresh air rushing in this should be a nonissue. I could see in heavy stop and go traffic, this might be a deterrent but nothing that should materially change how your car runs.
Fresh air rushes in because of the vacuum caused by the intake, not because there's ducting forcing it in. Unless the Fabspeed units seal well and only pull in air from the vents in the deck lid, then they're pulling in more warm air than the OEM box.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Fresh air rushes in because of the vacuum caused by the intake, not because there's ducting forcing it in. Unless the Fabspeed units seal well and only pull in air from the vents in the deck lid, then they're pulling in more warm air than the OEM box.
Good perspective and I haven't thought through that perhaps in the correct way. I wonder what I would see in logging that might tell me know if the fabspeed intakes aren't pulling in air correctly. I'll get this assessed. At the same time I am eventually going to change my rear wing and lid to one that has more aero benefits for track use. Many of those wing have the vents turned the other way where more cool air is pushed through versus sucked in.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:16 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

I run the fabspeed intakes on my car and have for multiple years now. It's been logged many times and custom tuned accordingly. Trust me, the fabspeed cones are pulling in significant enough air. I have no empirical facts between the open form of the fabspeed versus stock enclosed version. I've driven mine in the rain and after washing it with absolutely no misfire issues. Some get wrapped up with the pulling in more heated air perception. To your point with the car moving with fresh air rushing in this should be a nonissue. I could see in heavy stop and go traffic, this might be a deterrent but nothing that should materially change how your car runs.
Wow...a very different take and from someone who has used the FS air intake for years...very interesting. Thanks for your insightful comments. I plan to play it by ear once I have the car. Had anticipated having the car back today, but the tuning has presented some anomalies that are still being investigated...possibly in a couple more weeks. Sam at ByDesign says the car is "pretty darn fast and is pulling significant air" but he wants to get the tunes perfect, so I am just going to leave him alone until he tells me it is right.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Usrodeo, anxious to hear how you like all your mods...
That makes two of us...I had anticipated having the car back possibly today, but the 93 tune has presented some anomalies that are still being investigated...possibly a couple more weeks to get things sorted and complete the E85 tune too. Sam at ByDesign says the car is "pretty darn fast and is pulling significant air" but he wants to get the tunes perfect, so I am just going to leave him alone until he tells me it is right.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Sam and his team did my car as well. You can read my build thread. He would have let me known if my intakes weren't adequate.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Here's link to my build thread and link to how it runs on the track.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...1010698&page=1

Old 11-16-2018, 02:17 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010698&page=1

https://youtu.be/a4GU3gg6h9Y
Wow...a full forged 3.8 engine that is world class stuff, very impressive...I didn't go there, I'm a P car NFG but after some research and considering my usage I felt the stock engine would hold up. Sam has assured me it will and that the E85 tune will be controlled to keep the torque down to "protect the engine". Having said that I'm an Engineer and conservative by nature and always remember what A.J. Foyt said about engines; "Every engine has a certain H.P. per hour limit" so I plan to mostly run the 93 Tune (But there is an E85 station about 19 minutes away, haha, so I'm sure I will see what that is like too) and try to keep the engine in one piece. Of course I do like the go pedal and have had some incredibly fast two wheelers on the street an track and I know I will at times use the car's potential, so if something lets go I will just address it at that point and move on. It is after all just a toy. Awesome build young man...I kinda wish I just would have shipped the car to L.A. and let Sam do it. I went with AutoQuest MotorSports in Ft. Myer's Fl. for the build (and coordinating the painted lowered bits/aerokit front spoiler) and they have done nothing short of a Fantastic job but I am starting to feel like the tuning/troubleshooting process is a bit a problematic with Sam doing the tuning remotely. This past week I was tempted to put my Engineering Program Management QA hat on and get involved but But Sam assures me they will get it perfect so I am just taking a chill pill and letting him do his thing.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...1010698&page=1

https://youtu.be/a4GU3gg6h9Y
OMGoodness...I just watched your track video...lol...you close in on the corners and absolutely gobble those cars up on the straights like they are all driving '74 Pintos...nice driving dude.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:49 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
OMGoodness...I just watched your track video...lol...you close in on the corners and absolutely gobble those cars up on the straights like they are all driving '74 Pintos...nice driving dude.
Thanks! I'm sure Sam will get everything sorted out for you. Best support I've seen.

Next thing I'm doing is getting my suspension components upgraded. Then the suspension should match and be capable of handling the power it's putting down.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Hey my friends. Yeah we will be good. The guys are pretty responsive and great to work with at auto quest. I think calibrating the throttlebody and the VTG actuators will help. The car is fine but I want to get things a little closer and we push 100% on every single car and every single car is completely custom calibrated. She’s running really strong and making great power already we are in the low 600s to the tires on 93! Just going to clean up that bank deviation but I don’t want to Band-Aid it we are going to do it the right way thoroughly. Sometimes when you do a bunch of new parts at once they need a little more TLC but we will get it my friend! And I don’t mind at all being with you guys every step of the way no matter how far I am! As far as the power once we are done I’m going to start with the peer pressure ha ha. I am with an engineering background as well and I know exactly where you’re coming from. I’m going to give you something that you can ramp on for years to come even on the BigPowr. Once we start going north of 720 or 730 we know we are pushing things a little although several guys are making 750 to the wheels several years now. I’m confident and with respect to your background and safety cushion we will make it even more rock solid I’m confident for you.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey my friends. Yeah we will be good. The guys are pretty responsive and great to work with at auto quest. I think calibrating the throttlebody and the VTG actuators will help. The car is fine but I want to get things a little closer and we push 100% on every single car and every single car is completely custom calibrated. She’s running really strong and making great power already we are in the low 600s to the tires on 93! Just going to clean up that bank deviation but I don’t want to Band-Aid it we are going to do it the right way thoroughly. Sometimes when you do a bunch of new parts at once they need a little more TLC but we will get it my friend! And I don’t mind at all being with you guys every step of the way no matter how far I am! As far as the power once we are done I’m going to start with the peer pressure ha ha. I am with an engineering background as well and I know exactly where you’re coming from. I’m going to give you something that you can ramp on for years to come even on the BigPowr. Once we start going north of 720 or 730 we know we are pushing things a little although several guys are making 750 to the wheels several years now. I’m confident and with respect to your background and safety cushion we will make it even more rock solid I’m confident for you.
Thanks Sam...if you need anything from my end just holler, otherwise I am going to just standby for updates where you or AutoQuest deem it necessary and wait for the call that all systems are nominal. Again, thanks for your expertise, your effort and your enthusiasm on my P TT car.
p.s. low 600's to the wheels on 93? Holy Mackerel, that's a chunk of thrust from the Go Pedal. I know we have talked before but just to reiterate, I believe we agreed 700WHP on E85 would be our max target and I would be completely satisfied with something just shy of that too if it meant a more functional safety window. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Cheers!

Quick Reply: My Turbo Build Engine is back in the Car