Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Streaming Simplified

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:59 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Bluetooth Streaming Simplified

I posted a similar post on the 997 Forum, but thought I would post here in case anyone is not familiar with what is posted there. There is a very extensive post on many various methods on how to do this on the 997 Forum, that you should reference if you are interested. If you want a simple, quick and effective upgrade to your sound system by enabling Bluetooth music streaming from your phone and hands free phone operation, then read on...

I used the LAPower unit available on Amazon and eBay and completed the install in about 30 minutes in the frunk. I have a very clean and super easy install that works perfectly, without having to do anything in the interior of the car, including routing the mic wire. My car had a six disc changer and navigation unit in the frunk. I simply replaced the six disc changer with the LA Power unit in the same space. The bluetooth connection to the phone works great and the wirelss mic works great too - no issues with connectivity or sound quality (yet - hope it stays this way).

Here are the steps I performed:

1. Remove the six-disc changer, but keep the side mounting bracket near the navigation unit in place (remove the screws instead of the whole bracket with a small right-angle screwdriver).
2. Disconnect the fiber optics and power from the CD changer.
3. Splice the power cables to provide the power to the LA Power unit (red to red (positive) and brown to black (negative))
4. Plug in the fiber optic from the CD changer directly into the LA Power Unit (you don't need any of the other fiber optic cables provided by LA Power).
5. Mount the LA Power unit onto the former CD changer mounting bracket with double sided tape. Tuck the power cables behind the bracker for a clean look.
6. Plug in the receiver for the wireless mic/lavalier into the mic port in the LA Power unit. Place the transmitter end of the wireless mic inside your cab in a location of your preference.

Here are some pictures of the wireless mic used as well as the final install:

Wireless lavalier prevents running hardwire mic through interior

Top view of LA Power unit in the place where the CD changer used to reside

Close up of LA Power unit, mounted onto the CD changer mounting bracket

Wireless 2.4 GHz Mic installed on visor

PCM from the inside with bluetooth playing from my phone

Finally a car with "modern" electronics
Old 10-31-2018, 02:11 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

What if you do not have the CD changer?
Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Jose Rivas
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
What if you do not have the CD changer?
I did this behind the headunit. you just loop the optical cables to have the input go into the Bluetooth box and out to the unit and the one that is marked output goes into the headunit as normal.
hope that make seance. I can try to take pictures if requested.
The following users liked this post:
defunct_neurons (03-21-2023)
Old 10-31-2018, 11:37 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Good post. I recently installed a Dension 500S BT I'd pulled from another car. I'd actually considered doing it the way gbakerge did (either with a wired or wireless mic), but ultimately pivoted to doing it as Jose suggests as I didn't want to run the wire and didn't have a wireless mic. There's pros/cons of each approach. With the unit behind the PCM, I have to pull the PCM if I need to mess with the Dension, but I've now learned how to do that in less than 10 minutes, so it's not terribly tough.

A couple questions: Where does the wireless mic get it's power from? Batteries? How long do they last?
Old 10-31-2018, 01:58 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jose Rivas
I did this behind the headunit. you just loop the optical cables to have the input go into the Bluetooth box and out to the unit and the one that is marked output goes into the headunit as normal.
This seems like an easier fix. I installed Mobridge in my first 997 before and am waiting for newer options.

Can you post pics of each input output wires you mentions.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:00 PM
Jose Rivas
Rennlist Member

Not my image but it looks like this.
The wires that go into the stereo originally are represented here with a green tape on it.
the cables have arrows on them and the arrow that are pointing towards the headunit are the input and should be split out to go into the bluetooth box
and then coming out will loop back into the stereo input.
The output cable is left alone to output the signal back out.

Here is a diagram that I half *** put together
Old 10-31-2018, 03:46 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Not my image but it looks like this.
The wires that go into the stereo originally are represented here with a green tape on it.
the cables have arrows on them and the arrow that are pointing towards the headunit are the input and should be split out to go into the bluetooth box
and then coming out will loop back into the stereo input.
The output cable is left alone to output the signal back out.

Here is a diagram that I half *** put together
With the cost, I will try this out.

Hows the reception?
Old 10-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Jose Rivas
Rennlist Member

really good. and I love that all the buttons that are for the phone (answer/hangup) work with this.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:11 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

I ordered it on ebay, amazon is out of stock.

Its been awhile when I installed these things, but where again can you get power on the back of the PCM? What harness/cable?
Old 10-31-2018, 04:16 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Basically right now, I am trying to modernize my cars which does not have BT streaming.

I installed in my e39 M5 a kit so now, its good for another 15 years and with this for my 997 TT, this will make it more livable.

My 12 Sclass, TTS and GTS, I added a BT module for $25 at amazon and it basically modernized it already like my F10 M5 and RRS which came with it built in..
Old 10-31-2018, 08:12 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Thxbuff2001-proceed as Jose and Brains have indicated. Also make sure to read the 997 Forum thread: “LAPower bluetooth”, there are 17 pages or so, but very comprehensive. Based on all the research I have done, if you have a cd changer in the frunk, the method I posted is simpler and just as effective. If you do not have a cd changer, then your options are to pull out the PCM and wire accordingly.

Brainz-great question. The wireless mic is battery operated, so the batteries will need to be changed periodically. Installing in the frunk and going wireless prevents having to run any wires from the frunk to the cockpit. This is a huge timesaver during installation. You may also want to refer to the thread mentioned above as there are many comparisons between Dension and the LAPower unit in terms of ease of use and sound quality.

The LAPower unit is $148 and the wireless mic is $35.

Last edited by gbakerge; 10-31-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

What are the steps to switch to Bluetooth streaming music?
With the Denison I need to select cd 6, then over to source then over to Bluetooth almost every time I want to stream, somewhat annoying. It will sometimes reconnect automatically and I just have to hit cd but not often. Frustrating.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Thxbuff2001-proceed as Jose and Brains have indicated. Also make sure to read the 997 Forum thread: “LAPower bluetooth”, there are 17 pages or so, but very comprehensive. Based on all the research I have done, if you have a cd changer in the frunk, the method I posted is simpler and just as effective. If you do not have a cd changer, then your options are to pull out the PCM and wire accordingly.

Brainz-great question. The wireless mic is battery operated, so the batteries will need to be changed periodically. Installing in the frunk and going wireless prevents having to run any wires from the frunk to the cockpit. This is a huge timesaver during installation. You may also want to refer to the thread mentioned above as there are many comparisons between Dension and the LAPower unit in terms of ease of use and sound quality.

The LAPower unit is $148 and the wireless mic is $35.

I reviewed my vids when i did my mobridge i think now its easier.
If you do the pcm pull, then its easier to use the wired mic placing them at the rearview mirror.

If you have a cd player, if you decide to do the wired approach, you can buy a 10ft male to female extension for the mic for $11, and route it to the cabin.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

You guys get any CD CHANGER errors?
Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Mid cont- I make sure my phone is connected to the LAPower unit (Carkit) and just hit the CD button. No issues so far connecting and when re-entering the car the unit picks up where the last song on the phone was playing.

No CD changer errors yet either

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Streaming Simplified