Sponsored by:

For those who’ve had a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:07 PM
phorbes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
FWIW I agree with your wife! Obviously I realize they're not the same car, but if I already owned a 997 GT3, I'd be looking at something more differentiated for a second car. F80 M3 would be up there on the list, except that you just had one. What about electric? A Jaguar I-Pace or a Model S? For days when you feel like driving a 911 to work, you've still got one, but this way if you want to ride in comfort (while still having crazy acceleration when you want it) you've got that option too. Plus variety. And real back seats.

If you do get a 997tt though, might as well get a cab to mix things up a bit!
I’m 31 with 2 kids under 2. wife has an suv and we have the nice truck for hauling those little rug rats around. Obviously having a “dad” car that can haul them around for special occasions is a bonus but not a requirement.

i like to be different and a model S Is more common in Austin than an f150 hah!

Might just end up with a new m3 if I don’t care for the 997.2 TTS. There’s one here locally that I’ll drive on Wednesday, we’ll see what happens!

I believe these 997.2’s to be extra special years. The simple interiors, and gorgeous exteriors will be future classics IMO. You just don’t get that same vibe from a 991.1.

If im going to spend the coin, it’s nice to know the car won’t depreciate like an anchor on a cruise ship. Granted that’s not a priority in my decision making, but it helps nevertheless.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by phorbes

I’m 31 with 2 kids under 2. wife has an suv and we have the nice truck for hauling those little rug rats around. Obviously having a “dad” car that can haul them around for special occasions is a bonus but not a requirement.

i like to be different and a model S Is more common in Austin than an f150 hah!

Might just end up with a new m3 if I don’t care for the 997.2 TTS. There’s one here locally that I’ll drive on Wednesday, we’ll see what happens!

I believe these 997.2’s to be extra special years. The simple interiors, and gorgeous exteriors will be future classics IMO. You just don’t get that same vibe from a 991.1.

If im going to spend the coin, it’s nice to know the car won’t depreciate like an anchor on a cruise ship. Granted that’s not a priority in my decision making, but it helps nevertheless.
I hear you. One thing to consider if either of your kids is under 1 is that you probably won't fit a rear facing car seat in the 997. Some front facing seats fit if you remove the seat backs and bottoms (I use the Britax Boulevard clicktight), but you'll have to move the front seats up quite a bit when the kids are in there. Once they're old enough for boosters you've got a lot more options, but that's a while away if they're under 2.

And yeah, the Model S doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to either. The i-Pace though should be pretty rare, at least for a while, since it's new for 2019. (At the moment I'm planning on one of those for our next family hauler, but I'll wait until I can get one a few years old, which will hopefully line up with my kids growing out of kicking the seat backs...) Will almost certainly depreciate more than a 997tt, but not as bad as most new cars since it will be quite a while before there are an abundance of battery electrics on the used market.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:48 PM
phorbes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
I hear you. One thing to consider if either of your kids is under 1 is that you probably won't fit a rear facing car seat in the 997. Some front facing seats fit if you remove the seat backs and bottoms (I use the Britax Boulevard clicktight), but you'll have to move the front seats up quite a bit when the kids are in there. Once they're old enough for boosters you've got a lot more options, but that's a while away if they're under 2.

And yeah, the Model S doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to either. The i-Pace though should be pretty rare, at least for a while, since it's new for 2019. (At the moment I'm planning on one of those for our next family hauler, but I'll wait until I can get one a few years old, which will hopefully line up with my kids growing out of kicking the seat backs...) Will almost certainly depreciate more than a 997tt, but not as bad as most new cars since it will be quite a while before there are an abundance of battery electrics on the used market.
on my way home from work right now and I have 3 models s’s in front of me hah!

sports car / performance car without a doubt, can’t do the suv.

I hope I love the 997.2 TTS, i always mod my cars so a tune and some down pipes + exhaust would really make it a rocket
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by phorbes

on my way home from work right now and I have 3 models s’s in front of me hah!

sports car / performance car without a doubt, can’t do the suv.

I hope I love the 997.2 TTS, i always mod my cars so a tune and some down pipes + exhaust would really make it a rocket
By SUV, do you mean the I-pace? I guess they're marketing it as that since that's apparently what people want, but if you look at pictures it's really more of a hatch/wagon.

Anyway, was just a thought. I'm sure you'll love whatever you get!
Old 11-11-2018, 03:13 AM
Isthisforeal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, similar tastes indeed! Currently have a 997gt3, 997tt, 993, i3 and a 17 raptor and recently sold my f80/ tesla model s and will most likely swap my raptor for a sprinter 4x4.

The f80 was my daily and now that routine goes between my i3 and 07 997tt. I agree the TT is completely different from the gt3 and makes for one torquey Daily. The torque and ride quality make it my favorite daily, that and the tip
Old 11-11-2018, 10:12 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The PDK is great in traffic when you want to just chill, it handles it perfectly. The boost is exhilarating even in stock form, can’t imagine what a stage 2 tune would feel like. This is already faster than my previous built 996tt! I do miss the sound and RPM climbs in the GT3 and GT350R though. My other daily is a big F350 (tow vehicle). I’m thinking to swap out whole fleet and was thinking bigger SUV for Momma that can still tow my trailer, dedicated track car, and Tesla for daily. It would be more fun if we could keep more of our favorite cars! 2007 GT3 and 01 996 turbo were both keepers.

Good luck OP and let us know what you land with- congrats on keeping the 2010 GT3!!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with others if I was going to DD it would get a 997.2 TTS with a europipe exhaust.

Quick Reply: For those who’ve had a GT3