Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safe to buy?

Can anyone help me out with your opinion on this

I'm about to buy a 2007 997 TT coupe with 22,000 miles

Old 10-28-2018, 04:37 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I assume when you say safe is it would not cost you in the immediate time of ownership then it would require more than an over rev report.
Couple of things, needs to have a PPI and we need to know if it has a tune(?).

going to the over rev report.
The only thing that caught my prying eye is the over rev in range 3 since it was within 15 hrs ago. Range 4 and 5 are not concerning to me on its own as it is 150 to 300 hrs ago.

If the PPI is good, have some service records and with a tune( or not), I would say you have a very small risk but a buy in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:54 PM
brn2drive
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Most like to stay away from range 5 and 6 overrevs, however the range 5 happened a long time ago and any damage would have already been addressed. That’s a lot of ignitions in range 1 for the mileage, does the car have a tune?

I weigh condition, maintenance records, and the overall PPI a lot higher than the overrev report so it all depends on your risk tolerance. Maybe negotiate a little more off the price to hedge against future issues.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM
b1x
Advanced

Here is the Inspection the Porsche dealership gave me.
They put new tires on
Brakes pad wear 10mm wear (they said thats like new)

The car is out of province so I am buying site unseen so its a bit nerve wreaking

But exactly the car I was after on books.

Black on black 997.1 Manual with great options and Low KM (miles)

Old 10-28-2018, 04:57 PM
b1x
Advanced

Sorry, from what I am told its completely stock, no mods no tune
The Diagnostic trouble code was an airbag code that was fixed

Last edited by b1x; 10-28-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I reckon as long as the PPI is clear just go for it. Good Turbo's are getting hard to find these days. Especially manuals.

On another note, over the years I have read posts about the over revs reports. What does all that actually mean?
Is it the amount of time an owner has been thrashing the car or something?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Buy it and forget it. Great car to own, just buy some absorbent roll Universal Sorbent Rolls - 30" x 150', Heavy duty to assist with oil changes. Place at rear so when you do spill some, which you will it won’t make a mess.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 PM
993MAN
Drifting

I reckon as long as the PPI is clear just go for it. Good Turbo's are getting hard to find these days. Especially manuals.

On another note, over the years I have read posts about the over revs reports. What does all that actually mean?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:51 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

The range ones are maxed out at 65k, that’s all the dme can store, iirc, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong
i wonder what province you are purchasing from?
for example, back east like Ontario, the car may have seen snow and salt, with Quebec, same thing plus there are lots of horror stories about cars sold from there. (no offence Quebecers)
cars from there sell at a discount compared to B.C. i.m.e.
If you were buying from BC then the car is probably in nice condition.

you should 100% get a PPI done by a local reputable indy mechanic, looking for previous accidents, respray, etc.
people here will know a good local indy if u ask
do a carfax too, it saved me from buying a Quebec car here in B.C. that had been rolled back over 100,000km!
hope that helps
Glwys
Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

65536 is maxed out on range 1, which usually means a tune that raised the limiter, making it super easy to rack them up. I'd be fine with that report/car if the PPI checks out otherwise and you like it.

Originally Posted by 993MAN
It essentially shows the amount of ignitions within hard-coded rev ranges that are above the tach's redline. Ranges 1-3 can be hit while driving aggressively and/or with a tune, and 4-6 usually indicate a missed shift or computer error. While it can be useful to show if the car had a money shift on the track 10 minutes ago (red flag), there's a lot of unfounded hysteria around these reports in other scenarios.

In this case, I think the colorful report is mostly useful as a way to know that the car wasn't driven gently by an old lady to church -- which isn't a bad thing. This one looks like it's had at least 2 missed shifts and a high-ish average MPH of 36, which makes me wonder if it has been tracked.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:00 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 252 Posts

Is this car in Edmonton?

I believe this to be the same car. See my old thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ange-help.html

You can see the cylinders were scoped also.

I passed as the car had many other issues (tires, front headlight cracked, large scrape near rear wheel, and the entire passenger side was covered in some sort of tar).

I was going to purchase from the owner, he ended up selling to the dealer.

Last edited by repcapale; 10-28-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:53 PM
b1x
Advanced

Sent you a private msg

Pretty certain it is the same car
Old 10-29-2018, 01:42 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skwerl
65536 is maxed out on range 1, which usually means a tune that raised the limiter, making it super easy to rack them up. I'd be fine with that report/car if the PPI checks out otherwise and you like it.

It essentially shows the amount of ignitions within hard-coded rev ranges that are above the tach's redline. Ranges 1-3 can be hit while driving aggressively and/or with a tune, and 4-6 usually indicate a missed shift or computer error. While it can be useful to show if the car had a money shift on the track 10 minutes ago (red flag), there's a lot of unfounded hysteria around these reports in other scenarios.

In this case, I think the colorful report is mostly useful as a way to know that the car wasn't driven gently by an old lady to church -- which isn't a bad thing. This one looks like it's had at least 2 missed shifts and a high-ish average MPH of 36, which makes me wonder if it has been tracked.
Thanks for explaining that. I understand now. The rev limiter would stop anything catastrophic from happening I thought?

When I bought my car I tested it, PPI'd it and bought it. None of these reports were offered too me. 4 years on and still loving the thing to bits.

Quick Reply: Safe to buy?